Car Wheel Tracking Cost

Options

Comments

• thescouselander
    Options
    vansboy wrote: »
    Did the new tyres go on the rear - this is accepted as THE correct axle for new rubber, as it will be more efficient when brakes are applied, especially in wet conditions.

Never heard that one before - how can having the new rubber on the rear improve braking efficiency? Its the front axle that does all the work when braking.
  • moneychaser
    Options
    you better take your car to a garage , they will look into the matter , and it is best to hire a local mechanic it will cost you low .
  • mchale
    mchale Posts: 1,886 Forumite
    Options
    Never heard that one before - how can having the new rubber on the rear improve braking efficiency? Its the front axle that does all the work when braking.

Maybe he/she drives in reverse all the time :D
    ANURADHA KOIRALA ??? go on throw it in google.
  • luci
    luci Posts: 5,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Spam reported
  • darude
    darude Posts: 184 Forumite
    Options
    I just had mines done for £35. But looked around and found that National Tyres are doing it for £15 with this voucher:

http://www.national.co.uk/special-offers-wheel-alignment.aspx
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Options
    A good wheel alignment with adjustments on a laser machine with printouts will be around the £55 mark and take approx one hour. Anyone paying below £50 needs to ask do they adjust the caster and camber or is it just "toe and go"

Also check if the ride height is measured, if they weight the car to compensate for driver, do they check tyre presures before starting. Do they give a before and after printout?
  • sanctuaryRed
    Options
    thanks darude you have just saved me £15!!
  • cb1979
    cb1979 Posts: 221 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 April 2012 at 11:33AM
    Options
    Hi you need a good 4 wheel alignment done on a machine where they put your reg no into the computer,they will also give you a print out afterwards
    I have seen places where they do not have a clue what they are doing,they get some flimsy gauges off the wall and set it on the workshop floor without consulting any manual, this is only basic tracking which was allright 40 years ago but not for modern cars
    Expect to pay £35 upwards for a 4 wheel alignment
  • s_b
    s_b Posts: 4,463 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    cb1979 wrote: »
    Hi you need a good 4 wheel alignment done on a machine where they put your reg no into the computer,they will also give you a print out afterwards
    I have seen places where they do not have a clue what they are doing,they get some flimsy gauges off the wall and set it on the workshop floor without consulting any manual, this is only basic tracking which was allright 40 years ago but not for modern cars
    Expect to pay £35 upwards for a 4 wheel alignment

Do you honestly believe that all cars can have caster and camber done at these alignment places?
    if you do please watch out for flying pigs
    for the record
    i use the the flimsy gauges they cost £500 and i can tell you now in a shoot out in the ok coral i could track your car up much better than anyone who relies on a laser but knows jack and is on bonus

if you are a baker please keep to cakes
  • janec
    janec Posts: 328 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i got mine done at a local garage for £27 if this helps anyone !
    :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport