Changing internet providers

Options
I am still trying to get away from Talktalk! - They were quick to take out the £70 I had to pay for ending my contract early but they have left a marker on my line which prevents me from using another internet provider. They have continually fobbed me off with 'BT have to remove the marker' to 'I have just removed it now' and still it remains on my line. The latest is 'your account was discontinued on 15th so the marker will come off on 30th, it takes 15 days!!! This has been going on since the middle of July and still I cant get anyone to remove this marker so beware, Talktalk may be one of the cheaper options, but you try getting away from them! :confused:

Comments

• normanmark
    normanmark Posts: 4,156 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like you dont have a 'marker' but the existing broadband service from Talk Talk is on your line. This is something they cannot remove immediately but should be done by Talk Talk either issuing a migration code or by raising a cease of the service.

Migration code shouldnt take any longer than 48hrs for you to obtain it from Talk Talk.

Ceasing of broadband will take between 5-7 working days

BT unfortunately cant remove that service (because its your own service with Talk Talk) the most they'll be able to do (From a broadband marker perspective) is pass on information if Talk Talk have removed the service from the line.

HTH :)
  • harryk_3
    harryk_3 Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    harryk
    I am with orange broadband at the moment and i am paying 17.99 a month if i change to talk talk can i still use18185 any advice would be helpful
  • normanmark
    normanmark Posts: 4,156 Forumite
    Options
    harryk wrote: »
    harryk
    I am with orange broadband at the moment and i am paying 17.99 a month if i change to talk talk can i still use18185 any advice would be helpful

Harry you'd get a better response if you posted a new thread in here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.html?f=68
  • lizallan149
    Options
    Can anyone help me out - I cancelled my Sky broadband last week (7 days ago now) but the chap that cancelled didnt give me a MAC code, so I've now been told that I will have to wait until the line gets the tag taken off. Sky say that it takes a fixed 14-day period to remove but it sounds from this forum that it should take a lot less time. I cant move to a new provider until the tag is removed and BT say that it has to be Sky that does it but they wont budge and do it early - any suggestions anyone?

Thanks
    Liz
  • mrJ_5
    mrJ_5 Posts: 1,064 Forumite
    Options
    unless you actually asked for one, and told them to just cancel everything - then you probably won't be able to do anything about it now ... tags usually take up to 2 weeks to clear

if you've already tried asking sky for a MAC but they can't give you one, then there is nothing really you can do

best advise - try everyday after broadband stops working to go to samknows.com - enter in your details as a search, and if it tells you that you already have broadband - the tag is still on the line, once it says you don't have broadband - order from the company that yo now want broadband from
  • lizallan149
    Options
    I asked for a MAC code first but the chap didnt seem to realise that he should have obtained a MAC code first and then cancelled. Even though it was Sky's fault they still wont do anything about it.

It's just a bit frustrating when I cant even go to the new provider and Sky are telling me that their internal paperwork cant (or wont) be sped up.

Thanks for the info.

Liz
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family