Las Vegas guide and MSE thread 2016

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,939 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Barcode wrote: »
    Right, it looks like a single itinerary with BA, so yes, must get to DUB first (we're on a Ryanair the night before).

I'm 99% sure it is a single ticket: it has one PNR number, and displays as one booking when I log in on Expedia / BA - it is a BA/Aer Lingus at 7 am, then onto the VA flight, now at 10: 10 am.

Points in our favour:

- No need to leave the terminal (both arrive/depart from South).
    - Staying airside (sure we just go through Flight Connections, and will print out own boarding pass - but assume there is a security check?)

Gatwick North official connection time for domestic-international is 55 minutes. We're 1hr and 40. So I'm not going to get anywhere trying to change it with Expedia (non-refundable). I'm also assuming that if something goes wrong, BA (or VA) have an obligation to get us there? Well, someone does as we are on a single ticket.

It makes sense to be on one ticket if the reason you were doing it was the lower taxes on ex-Dub flights.

So if something goes wrong they will sort you on to the next flight. Your only responsibility is to get to DUB to start this ticket.

Are you intending going home via DUB? There has been some talk recently of BA tightening up on people who dump the final sector.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,520 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    silvercar wrote: »
    It makes sense to be on one ticket if the reason you were doing it was the lower taxes on ex-Dub flights.

So if something goes wrong they will sort you on to the next flight. Your only responsibility is to get to DUB to start this ticket.

Are you intending going home via DUB? There has been some talk recently of BA tightening up on people who dump the final sector.

I do the DUB ticketing quite often and usually get routed through LHR for the extra Tier points. As we live in Nottingham it's quicker and cheaper for us to take the final leg to DUB, then get on a £9 Ryanair flight back to EMA or BHX
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • Barcode
    Barcode Posts: 4,551 Forumite
    Yes, due to taxes (even with Ryanair flight + hotel it was still about £500 cheaper at the time of booking).

That's what I thought: if something goes wrong, BA (all flights show with them when logging in) must get us there somehow. How long, roughly, does it take to transfer airside within the South terminal (I assume we will have our boarding cards and already be checked-in all the way through at Dublin).

What could happen if we fail to fly Gatwick - Dub on the trip home? (Not saying anything as no wish to be identified!)
    'We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time. '
    -- T. S. Eliot
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 18 December 2015 at 4:43PM
    This may be a stupid question, but anyway....

Could I as a resident of Ireland book these BA flights? I'm wondering if I'd need a UK postcode or something.

Thanks, and sorry if the answer is obvious and they are open to everyone.
  • Barcode
    Surely, these sorts of fares are aimed at feeding people onto their mainland U.K flights? So yes. :)
    'We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time. '
    -- T. S. Eliot
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 December 2015 at 5:09PM
    Yes, due to taxes (even with Ryanair flight + hotel it was still about £500 cheaper at the time of booking).

That's what I thought: if something goes wrong, BA (all flights show with them when logging in) must get us there somehow. How long, roughly, does it take to transfer airside within the South terminal (I assume we will have our boarding cards and already be checked-in all the way through at Dublin).

What could happen if we fail to fly Gatwick - Dub on the trip home? (Not saying anything as no wish to be identified!)

The major problem with trying to do that-when you transferring in the same airport-is that your bags mostl likely will be tagged ALL the WAY through to DUBLIN so will not be offloaded at LGW.

You can ask for them to be offloaded at LGW-BUT be prepared to come up with a VERY GOOD excuse why you want to :cool:
  • Barcode
    Ah, see, this is why we're hand-luggage only. :)
    -- T. S. Eliot
  • silvercar

Do it once and you will probably get away with it. The theoretical risk is that BA try to reprice your ticket or take away your tier points/ avios. In practice that is very, very unlikely to happen. But there have been recent events which suggest that BA is trying to clamp down on this. Both 'head for points' and the BA flyer talk forum are now suggesting people should fly all segments of their tickets.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • silvercar
    stoneman wrote: »
    I do the DUB ticketing quite often and usually get routed through LHR for the extra Tier points. As we live in Nottingham it's quicker and cheaper for us to take the final leg to DUB, then get on a £9 Ryanair flight back to EMA or BHX

Whereas I can see the logic of what you are doing, it cannot be quicker to get from London to Nottingham by going on 2 flights via DUB than to take the train!
    melanzana wrote: »
    This may be a stupid question, but anyway....

Could I as a resident of Ireland book these BA flights? I'm wondering if I'd need a UK postcode or something.

Thanks, and sorry if the answer is obvious and they are open to everyone.

Definitely open to you. You are the customer that BA is trying to attract with these fares.
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    silvercar wrote: »

Definitely open to you. You are the customer that BA is trying to attract with these fares.

Thank you. I wasn't sure about it.

TBH if I'm going to the States it is much more convenient to travel Delta/AA/Aer Lingus etc. from Dublin or Shannon and there is pre clearance too.

But I have to say the Business Class fares on some BA routes ex Dublin are very attractive!

Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport