The Spreadsheet Diva's MF Diary

Options

Comments

• Eager_Elephant
    Options
    Just catching up and wanted to send (((( )))) to you Sue.
    I am so sorry that you had to go through ill health in the summer with no support, I wish you had carried on posting - I know you think you only posted negative things but actually you didn't - you posted positive things as well and sparked great discussion over things like how many bananas was acceptable to eat in a week!!!
    Diaries like yours help people see that debt busting is not always smooth sailing, when I read diaries where everything is perfect and they make huge OP's I feel like that would never be me but when I read your posts I feel that actually it's ok to have good and bad in every day.

As for the Tattoo - I think experiences are worth paying for, this debt busting cannot stop us living our lives. As long as you don't splurge like this every week then what harm is there?

I also just wanted to comment on the MS - my DH first suffered optical issues nearly 6 years ago which has led on to various other health problems not least his permanent headache which he has had for nearly the same amount of time.
    While we were waiting for his diagnosis DH realised that all his symptoms fitted MS and even sent off for info booklets for them which I reluctantly agreed to read and it was scary because it was like reading about him. It's weird but I actually wanted him to be diagnosed with something and I didn't mind if it was MS because at least we would have answers for why someone still young has all these ailments.
    The consultants dismissed MS but could not give us any answers and all my DH's ailments are treated as separate things but I do believe that in years to come he will be diagnosed with it.

At the moment we just take life as it comes and try to carry on as normal albeit with a lot of tablets and alternative therapies because, really, what else can you do?

Please don't stop posting again - we are all here to support you through the good and bad times!!
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    Options
    Sadly dad is no longer with us (passed away far too early) and when his brother retired (at 50) he moved to Australia ! ! however he still manages back every year.
    Car booting, just love this, been ages since I went to one, but you never know, you may just gather a whole load of items when MK then your mum can help you sell them all at the car boot yourselves

Great feeling, isn't it, o/p'ing, doesn't matter how much, just the fact you are o/p does the job
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • SueP19
    SueP19 Posts: 1,876 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just catching up and wanted to send (((( )))) to you Sue.
    I am so sorry that you had to go through ill health in the summer with no support, I wish you had carried on posting - I know you think you only posted negative things but actually you didn't - you posted positive things as well and sparked great discussion over things like how many bananas was acceptable to eat in a week!!!
    Diaries like yours help people see that debt busting is not always smooth sailing, when I read diaries where everything is perfect and they make huge OP's I feel like that would never be me but when I read your posts I feel that actually it's ok to have good and bad in every day.

As for the Tattoo - I think experiences are worth paying for, this debt busting cannot stop us living our lives. As long as you don't splurge like this every week then what harm is there?

I also just wanted to comment on the MS - my DH first suffered optical issues nearly 6 years ago which has led on to various other health problems not least his permanent headache which he has had for nearly the same amount of time.
    While we were waiting for his diagnosis DH realised that all his symptoms fitted MS and even sent off for info booklets for them which I reluctantly agreed to read and it was scary because it was like reading about him. It's weird but I actually wanted him to be diagnosed with something and I didn't mind if it was MS because at least we would have answers for why someone still young has all these ailments.
    The consultants dismissed MS but could not give us any answers and all my DH's ailments are treated as separate things but I do believe that in years to come he will be diagnosed with it.

At the moment we just take life as it comes and try to carry on as normal albeit with a lot of tablets and alternative therapies because, really, what else can you do?

Please don't stop posting again - we are all here to support you through the good and bad times!!

I typed a long reply on saturday and I was timed out :mad::mad:

So here goes again, bless you for typing and your lovely words. I am glad that I'm not the only one who finds huge OP'rs a bit intimidating, it's not their fault and I am genuinely pleased for them but to hear that a poster is paying £3,000 a month and is a single income family with 20 kids makes you feel that your poultry few quid is pointless and why post as your little £2 is hardly ground breaking news BUT we I suppose as they say " it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.” So our little sacrifices are bigger than a rich mans huge payments, have to say I do wonder why these people actually have a mortgage in the first place, so have decided to OP every week even if it's only £1. PS the banana issue was ended as OH decided bananas were making him fat, I now buy the entire stock of apples and pears from my local super :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: well it feels like it.

Splurging every week would be impossible but it really would be a lifetime memory, I have a few lined up for next year and with that I am devising a bucket list :D:D

So sorry to hear about your OH, I had migraines for years, relentless, brought me to my knees, in the end I found a hobby that was monotonous and found I could switch my brain off whilst I was doing it. I hope he gets his diagnosis, I know that may sound terrible but I believe there are worse things at sea and at least you can deal with it.

Thank you for posting, I won't stop again, I missed it too much :T:T
    Debt Free Diary - Second Chances! Life in a Tourer........Tilly Tidy Founder in 2016, Tilly Tidy 2023 £17.43, NSD Jan 2023 9/10, Debt £13,491.65
  • SueP19
    Options
    Sadly dad is no longer with us (passed away far too early) and when his brother retired (at 50) he moved to Australia ! ! however he still manages back every year.
    Car booting, just love this, been ages since I went to one, but you never know, you may just gather a whole load of items when MK then your mum can help you sell them all at the car boot yourselves

Great feeling, isn't it, o/p'ing, doesn't matter how much, just the fact you are o/p does the job

Sorry to hear your dad passed.

Didn't go carbooting in the end OH was off :(:( oh well another week hopefully
    Debt Free Diary - Second Chances! Life in a Tourer........Tilly Tidy Founder in 2016, Tilly Tidy 2023 £17.43, NSD Jan 2023 9/10, Debt £13,491.65
  • SueP19
    Options
    My weekend, well I didn't stop

On saturday had a go at batch cooking and made cottage pie for tea, 2 lasgne, 2 pasta bakes and 3 mince cobbler..............lesson learnt.............just do one thing at a time and make sure there is space in the freezer before you start :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

So defrosted freezer, as it was full of ice :mad::mad: it's an old still working (touch wood) h*tpoint door never ever shuts properly hence the build up of ice.............blinking design flaw, next door has one too.

Sunday OH was at home so no car boot BUT did end up sorting DD's bedroom out which got lots of stuff dumped in it on top of the stuff she didn't take :mad::mad: Took loads of lugging about of stuff whist OH just pottered about out the way..............yes I know he should have helped me BUT he just gets in the way and starts picking up boxes and say what's this..........takes 5 times the length of time so I shouted at him and told him to b*gger off, he took it in good part. The main thing is she can now sleep in it, if I could find some sheets, sure I have some cream one somewhere but where :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: it's not like we live in a mansion :eek:

On the vermin front, yes vermin, we have caught 2 mices this last week and on friday night after we picked the car up from it's mot OH spotted a huge rat, the size of a gocart (if he is to be believed) by the shed _pale__pale__pale_ YUCK
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,940 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oddly enough living in a rural area with stables I am more philosophical about vermin that most. They are there. Just decide how you can cope with getting rid and do it. Its no great issue :) And mice outside are really good because it tends to mean you don't have rats. (If you did the rats would eat the mice). Mice inside not so good obviously! :)
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • SueP19
    Options
    Watty1 wrote: »
    Oddly enough living in a rural area with stables I am more philosophical about vermin that most. They are there. Just decide how you can cope with getting rid and do it. Its no great issue :) And mice outside are really good because it tends to mean you don't have rats. (If you did the rats would eat the mice). Mice inside not so good obviously! :)

I was a "townie" :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: by birth but have been "countryfide" these last 28 years :D:D:D

Yes mice are not cutsie little things they are a menace, have a rather large hole above my skirting board now, they have striped the pipes in the loft of foam, they obviously doing some diy in their own abode :rotfl::rotfl:

Mices in the house mean rats in the garden, happens every year, so traps are set and bait in the garden :T:T:T
  • SueP19
    Options
    How many use YNAB

I am only a recent convert and love it.

Have you found it difficult??? I am struggling a bit with trying NOT to forecast. I get the rules but I am so used to looking ahead to see if I can afford next week/months bills even if it's estimated guess work.

I can see how it gets you into prioritising your money and giving it to your bill catagories as soon as you get it, to fill them in first but I do worry that I am doing it wrong or have missed the point :D:D
  • Boddington
    Options
    Hi just read your diary, wow what a rollercoaster! Didn't want to read and run, had our mortgage for three years sometimes over pay 6p a month sometimes £300, try not to beat myself up about the 6p's !
    trying to pay off this year as much as poss this year meaning sept 16-sept 17, as my oh has MS, had it since 21, but has struggled more the last few years, still works a few days a week not sure how long it will last but each day is a blessing! My thoughts are if be has to stop work tomorrow how would we survive, and so everytime i overpay the mortgage, i think thats a little less to worry about!
    Not sure if that is too negative, not my intension but major respect to you, and even if it is £3.42 its still £3.42 less for you to worry about!
  • SueP19
    Options
    Oh Boddington bless you with all my heart your post was not negative at all it was touching.

I was unsure whether to post about the possibility that it is MS mainly due to the reception I have had over this. I and my concerns have been dismissed poured scorn on and I have been made to feel very small and unimportant.

Yet here no one, not one person has said I am silly and for that this board will always have a special place in my heart. Xxxx

Boddington I really hope your OH has more good days than bad xxx xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure