The Spreadsheet Diva's MF Diary

Options

Comments

• A_Frayed_Knot
    Options
    Well done, you have put into words what I have been putting into practise for the past year without really realising it.

I have been Marie Kondo'ing certain items, keeping key items along with items that mix and match, in other words - multi useful, this gives me much pleasure.

I do find it useful sometimes to buy low cost items especially when it comes to the house as I get fed-up bored so easily, if it didn't cost the earth then I can CS it without much thought, another tune if it cost an arm and a leg.

Will now be keeping a train of thought of what I buy and why.
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • SueP19
    SueP19 Posts: 1,876 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I do find it useful sometimes to buy low cost items especially when it comes to the house as I get fed-up bored so easily, if it didn't cost the earth then I can CS it without much thought, another tune if it cost an arm and a leg.

Will now be keeping a train of thought of what I buy and why.

Exactly, I love a really good handbag, a really good one that will last, so for me I see it as valuable...................curtains yes, ornaments no.

For years I have always wanted a mason c$sh bowl, never could understand why I didn't buy one (inherited my MIL's one) I could never justify the price, to me a placcy bowl from Asd* was just as good :D:D

So why waste the money :D Only spend on what gets your goat or bunny :EasterBun...............sorry but I so love that bunny :rotfl::rotfl:
    Debt Free Diary - Second Chances! Life in a Tourer........Tilly Tidy Founder in 2016, Tilly Tidy 2023 £17.43, NSD Jan 2023 9/10, Debt £13,491.65
  • PrincessLou
    Options
    It is also worth thinking that way in regards to your grocery shopping. There are certain items that I will spend the money on, e.g. meat, toilet rolls, kitchen rolls and that buying cheap alternatives just won't do. On the other hand, when it comes to most other things i.e. pasta, crisps, most things really can be bought cheaply and even from the cheapest value range without too much difference. For instance I never understand why people by £2.50 pasta twists when you can buy the same thing for 34p in the value range and guess what? You can't tell the difference! :)
    Mortgage - £105,500
  • SueP19
    Options
    PG T*ps for our house..............non negotiable :rotfl::rotfl:

Pasta..........s*vers at 34p for us too

But yes that's exactly what I am on about

:money: is always on about downgrading food, well I just thought yeah let's downgrade everything :D:D

I certainly can't tell the difference on makeup but I bet some can, so it's about what you value. I don't compromise on meat but I do on toilet rolls and kitchen rolls :j
    Debt Free Diary - Second Chances! Life in a Tourer........Tilly Tidy Founder in 2016, Tilly Tidy 2023 £17.43, NSD Jan 2023 9/10, Debt £13,491.65
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    SueP19 wrote: »

If you take makeup I have loads of old stuff (good makes, expensive makes) and to be honest they need throwing out (they about 10 years old :eek::eek:) trouble is you look at it and think cr*p that eyeshadow was £15 and if I used it once a week it would take me till I am 80 to finish it...............was it worth it.

I know it's only £15 but you add that to all the body lotions, potions and other eyeshadows/nail polishes/lipsticks and you think noooooooo can't chuck it, so you end up with this pile of stuff that you know you can't put on your face or body and it adds up
    Sue, have a read at this about sunk costs - might make it easier to discard :)
    http://skepdic.com/sunkcost.html
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • SueP19
    Options
    Thanks Gallygirl 100% right :rotfl: the investment might be different but the sentimentality to hold on to it is just the same ;)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Intresting about handbags: I don't pay them much attention, to be honest - I usually have a black shoulder bag with quite a few pockets for day to day use, and thats that. However, I *do* have two really good bags: a pink leather one, which can double as a laptop case, and an amazing tan leather clutch bag, which I bought at a street market in Naples 40 years ago this year :) It has patina! And it had it even when it was new :rotfl:
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Moneyfordreams
    Options
    That article reminds me of all the mistakes I've made... let's sink more money into it to try to make it work.. this time was my choice, so no blaming anyone else .. I did finally sense.
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    :rotfl: re. the makeup post, I can relate... no not to makeup, Gally but to spending money on things not really needed and sometimes wondering why I feel the need to do so. My confession (which most know about on here) is expensive watches. :o In recent years I'll buy them and sometimes sell them (luckily, my favourites seem to be from the '60s and not current models), even so I daren't tell people on MSE how much I'll pay for a watch.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • SueP19
    Options
    Please don't think I have boxes n boxes of make up but it struck that make up was not really important to me so why spend more than I have to on it lolol

I was not a handbag fan until I bought one that broke after 2 months I was livid it was a nice bag, only cost £20. It's DD that has made realise their value, mind you I do buy in the sale lolol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure