We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Which pod coffee machine?

Options

Comments

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    daveyjp wrote: »
    If you can get a Nespresso for £29 buy it, if only for the convenience. Fill with water, turn on, pod in, press button, coffee done, eject pod.

Pods are dated for at least a year from manufacture, so hardly a great expense if you don't use it much.

Thanyou

Someone else who got why I was asking :)
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,789 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 8 December 2015 at 5:35PM
    Options
    Just bear in mind that Nespresso is an Espresso machine, if you want a longer drink (like an Americano) you will need to add additional hot water. Of course this can be done by running the machine for longer than the espresso shot but you can also end with "burnt" tasting coffee.

But £29 for a Nespresso machine is a very good price. :-)
  • hieveryone
    hieveryone Posts: 3,846 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    That was for a dinky nesspresso machine, little red domed thing, was reduced by £70 in my local currys. Can't see it on the web site so perhaps a local NI deal? Or discontinued ?

I'll go back at the weekend for another look I think

I saw that deal and it wasn't a Nespresso machine - it was a Tassimo. They aren't going to make the worlds greatest coffees, but for a bi of 'fun' coffee and tasty treats, it'll do fine. :T

Bought is to buy. Brought is to bring.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I love my Tassimo. I don't drink a huge amount of coffee but it's good for the occasional cup and there are a good variety of coffees to try. I like the Costa ones the best but have tried others. The Oreo drink was disgusting in my opinion, even my chocoholic daughter wouldn't drink them. The Kenco ones are good too. I buy the pods when they're on offer. The machine is small too and really easy to use.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,628 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If buying a Nespresso wait until they do them with free Nespresso shop vouchers, quite often around Christmas.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    hieveryone wrote: »
    I saw that deal and it wasn't a Nespresso machine - it was a Tassimo. They aren't going to make the worlds greatest coffees, but for a bi of 'fun' coffee and tasty treats, it'll do fine. :T

My bad :rotfl:

Tbh I was totally confused with them all on display. The leaflets around them were for all different machines and as the store was packed and I was just browsing, I didn't think to ask an assistant

So I take it tassimo only pods can be used for tassimo machines and nesspresso pods only in those ones?

It's good I'm getting views on the actual coffee now :). I'm not a snob, but I do like a smooth but rich coffee. I used to have an all singing all dancing machine but I gave that away when I realised it hadn't been used in a year
  • hieveryone
    hieveryone Posts: 3,846 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    My bad :rotfl:

Tbh I was totally confused with them all on display. The leaflets around them were for all different machines and as the store was packed and I was just browsing, I didn't think to ask an assistant

So I take it tassimo only pods can be used for tassimo machines and nesspresso pods only in those ones?

It's good I'm getting views on the actual coffee now :). I'm not a snob, but I do like a smooth but rich coffee. I used to have an all singing all dancing machine but I gave that away when I realised it hadn't been used in a year

It is SO easy to get confused by them all.

I have a Nespresso machine. It camewith an Aerocinno frother to make frothy milk, the whole works. It makes nice coffees, but they are for 'coffee people' (if that makes sense). It was approx £200 for the machine. I like the coffees it makes, but they aren't 'fun' coffees to me. The HUGE downside to the Nespresso is that you have to order capsules online or at a Nespresso shop, and 1. they aren't cheap and 2. the delivery is a fortune unless you order £70 quid worth at a time. There's been plenty of times where we've run out of capsules and then had to wait 2-3 days to get a delivery.

The Tassimo's, on the other hand, use capsules that are available in shops and are affiliated with Costa brand. They have 'fun' coffees like Oreo and hot chocolate, but also Costa branded Caramel Machiatto and Lattes, which I see regularly on offer for £3 in Sainsburys etc. Easily accessible, not too expensive if you end up not liking a pod taste and the machine is cheap to buy in the first place. I have just bought MIL/FIL one for Christmas, and I must say, I'm a little jealous :rotfl::rotfl:

Bought is to buy. Brought is to bring.
  • pete-20-11
    Options
    I'd stay away from tassimo. They've changed the latte type drinks, and most people on Facebook etc seem to hate the new taste.

They've also started to change some of the normal (without the milk pods) drinks like cafe crema.
    PPI success. Banding success. Double Dip PCN cancelled! South facing solar (Midlands) and battery. Savings Session supporter.
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've got a bean to cup machine.

I had a tassimo - I didn't like it, but I loved the pod idea - so handy.

So I got a dulce gusto - a model which allows me to select the length of drink & the height of cup/mug.
    Genio

https://www.dolce-gusto.co.uk/m/coffee-machines/piccolo-genio/genio-2-delonghi-automatic-piano-black

I love it - use it more than the bean to cup.
  • JC_Derby
    JC_Derby Posts: 808 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 January 2016 at 11:32PM
    Options
    hieveryone wrote: »
    It is SO easy to get confused by them all.

I have a Nespresso machine. It camewith an Aerocinno frother to make frothy milk, the whole works. It makes nice coffees, but they are for 'coffee people' (if that makes sense). It was approx £200 for the machine. I like the coffees it makes, but they aren't 'fun' coffees to me. The HUGE downside to the Nespresso is that you have to order capsules online or at a Nespresso shop, and 1. they aren't cheap and 2. the delivery is a fortune unless you order £70 quid worth at a time. There's been plenty of times where we've run out of capsules and then had to wait 2-3 days to get a delivery.

The Tassimo's, on the other hand, use capsules that are available in shops and are affiliated with Costa brand. They have 'fun' coffees like Oreo and hot chocolate, but also Costa branded Caramel Machiatto and Lattes, which I see regularly on offer for £3 in Sainsburys etc. Easily accessible, not too expensive if you end up not liking a pod taste and the machine is cheap to buy in the first place. I have just bought MIL/FIL one for Christmas, and I must say, I'm a little jealous :rotfl::rotfl:
    we also have an nespresso with aerocinno frother - was bought it as a wedding present.
    Personally im gutted, as I think its a massive waste of money. I like coffee, not espressos - and the oh has given away our coffee maker and thrown away the single cup cafetiere I had.
    Im hoping we can find cheaper capsules once we've used the extra free ones.

One other thing, the frother (aerocinno thing) doesn't work that well with skimmed milk, which is all we have!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport