Which pod coffee machine?

Options
Thinking about getting one for Christmas but don't know what to go for

There's three of us in the house , hubby drinks tea and hot chocolate, I have a very occasional cup of coffee and mum drinks anything

The reason I'm thinking of a pod machine is because the filter machine we already have is never used as not enough gets drunk, and a jar of instant will sit and go hard before it's all used

I would like a small footprint one that doesn't cost a fortune just in case it becomes obsolete within a few months

Any suggestions?

Comments

• jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,785 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you only occasionally drink coffee then why bother with a machine?
    If you want quality filter coffee use a cafietere or drip cone (http://www.tesco.com/direct/coffee-filter-cone/336-3640.prd?skuId=336-3640&pageLevel=sku or similar).

Tassimo machines offer the widest range of drinks, but many people say the UHT creamer for the hot chocolate type drinks tastes bad.

If you regularly drink coffee then a bean-to-cup machine makes more sense, the machine costs more but beans are much cheaper than pods.
  • hieveryone
    hieveryone Posts: 3,846 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Tassimo machines can be picked up on really good deals (think <£30), and the pods are on sale in most supermarkets - they have really good flavours like Oreo hot chocolate and caramel macchiato etc to give enough variety, and are only approx £3/£4 for 16 pods.

Bought is to buy. Brought is to bring.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jon81uk wrote: »
    If you only occasionally drink coffee then why bother with a machine?
    If you want quality filter coffee use a cafietere or drip cone (http://www.tesco.com/direct/coffee-filter-cone/336-3640.prd?skuId=336-3640&pageLevel=sku or similar).

Tassimo machines offer the widest range of drinks, but many people say the UHT creamer for the hot chocolate type drinks tastes bad.

If you regularly drink coffee then a bean-to-cup machine makes more sense, the machine costs more but beans are much cheaper than pods.

Because as I said in the OP,the coffee machines, cafeteres etc are a waste now as I would only drink one cup a week perhaps which means the coffee goes stale and is wasted - I have just thrown away a jar of instant that was opened beginning of the year and is now a solid mass in the jar, and two packs of rock hard ground coffee which has been festering in the cupboard for years

I was looking at the pods only because they are sealed and have a longer shelf life so Im at least not embarrassed when friends pop around, I can at least offer them something halfway decent without bending a spoon trying to scratch enough instant loose :rotfl:

I used to drink coffee all day and I did buy beans and grind them and I had a very lovely and expensive coffee machine, now my needs are different. I was looking at the pod machines and I have no idea on how to choose one, is a £29 one going to do the same job as a £70 one? Which is why I was looking for reccomendations
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There horible. .urgh
    cant you get sachets of coffee
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • Haffiana
    Haffiana Posts: 733 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you want something a bit better than instant that also does hot chocolate and other very sweet drinks, then get a Tassimo. If you want and care about very good quality coffee then get a Nespresso.

The machines are all pretty much the same. All the Bosch Tassimo machines will make a decent Tassimo, and all the (current) Nespresso machines will make a good Nespresso. The differences are only in finish, capacity, degree of automation etc etc.

From what you write, I would have thought a Tassimo would be perfect.
  • suki1964
    Options
    Haffiana wrote: »
    If you want something a bit better than instant that also does hot chocolate and other very sweet drinks, then get a Tassimo. If you want and care about very good quality coffee then get a Nespresso.

The machines are all pretty much the same. All the Bosch Tassimo machines will make a decent Tassimo, and all the (current) Nespresso machines will make a good Nespresso. The differences are only in finish, capacity, degree of automation etc etc.

From what you write, I would have thought a Tassimo would be perfect.

Thankyou

I saw a nespresso in curry a this week for £29. Dinky wee thing. Would that do? It's not like we are all sitting having a cuppa together, I just want something that's there when I fancy it
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Get a proper espresso machine - you have a vast choice of coffees at all price points, can get from anywhere, so you are not stuck with overpriced branded pods, have next to no wastage and you can make your coffee any way you want.

You may find your coffee consumption goes right-up! ;)
  • Haffiana
    Haffiana Posts: 733 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    Thankyou

I saw a nespresso in curry a this week for £29. Dinky wee thing. Would that do? It's not like we are all sitting having a cuppa together, I just want something that's there when I fancy it

You have to buy genuine Nespresso pods online, although there are some cheaper version available in some supermarkets (I have never found a good supermarket one, but most are better than Tassimo imo, but I am a coffee nut!).

However, that is an unbelievable price for the machine - they are very rarely available at the £60 mark for the base model, and are usually a lot more. £29 is also a reasonable price for a Tassimo. Yes, it will be big enough - it does one cup at a time, and can make as many as you want one after the other. You just need a pod and some water in the tank.
  • suki1964
    Options
    Haffiana wrote: »
    You have to buy genuine Nespresso pods online, although there are some cheaper version available in some supermarkets (I have never found a good supermarket one, but most are better than Tassimo imo, but I am a coffee nut!).

However, that is an unbelievable price for the machine - they are very rarely available at the £60 mark for the base model, and are usually a lot more. £29 is also a reasonable price for a Tassimo. Yes, it will be big enough - it does one cup at a time, and can make as many as you want one after the other. You just need a pod and some water in the tank.

That was for a dinky nesspresso machine, little red domed thing, was reduced by £70 in my local currys. Can't see it on the web site so perhaps a local NI deal? Or discontinued ?

I'll go back at the weekend for another look I think
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,597 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If you can get a Nespresso for £29 buy it, if only for the convenience. Fill with water, turn on, pod in, press button, coffee done, eject pod.

Pods are dated for at least a year from manufacture, so hardly a great expense if you don't use it much.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure