We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Which pod coffee machine?

Options
13»

Comments

• dollydiva
    dollydiva Posts: 302 Forumite
    Options
    I had one of those expensive coffee machines which did everything and was so complicated it was never worth the effort. I have no time to steam milk or grind beans, thank you.

Tried a Nespresso - it's like making coffee for a doll. It's the tiniest coffee you've ever seen...this said, maybe you like to drink coffee which is in a tiny cup, strong and lasts less than 60 seconds.

I've now got a Dulce Gusto - so far it's been the best as you get a good sized coffee and I like the flavours. It's better than sachet coffee by miles. If you're only going to use it now and then, do buy the cleaning kit as I've found it benefits from a clean twice a year.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    Can't beat a Tassimo. Just replaced my old T40 with a T20 I picked up on sale just before Xmas for under £30. I love that I can drink Costa coffee for a fraction of the cafe price and the Carte Noire macchiato is nice too. Don't bother with Oreo. It's disgusting. You can also get a good range of teas too and chai latte. Overall a great machine which I use several times daily.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,628 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    dollydiva wrote: »
    I had one of those expensive coffee machines which did everything and was so complicated it was never worth the effort. I have no time to steam milk or grind beans, thank you.

Tried a Nespresso - it's like making coffee for a doll. It's the tiniest coffee you've ever seen...this said, maybe you like to drink coffee which is in a tiny cup, strong and lasts less than 60 seconds.

I've now got a Dulce Gusto - so far it's been the best as you get a good sized coffee and I like the flavours. It's better than sachet coffee by miles. If you're only going to use it now and then, do buy the cleaning kit as I've found it benefits from a clean twice a year.

I think the clue is in the name n-espresso. An espresso being a shot of coffee, as used as a base for almost every coffee with a silly sounding name in the coffee shop chains. You can vary the amount of water added with each shot.

Start with the coffee shot then add what you like, more hot water, milk etc for a longer drink.
  • Yeahsayer
    Yeahsayer Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 8 March 2016 at 4:49AM
    Options
    I advocate against pod machine as they are much more expensive in the long run, and they are not ecological and they will not allow you to taste different coffee varieties. You can get machines like DeLonghi Dedica or Breville Cafe Roma, they are around $300-200 and you can make espressos, single shots, I think the Dedica also has a froth wand.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yeahsayer wrote: »
    I advocate against pod machine as they are much more expensive in the long run, and they are not ecological and they will not allow you to taste different coffee varieties. You can get machines like DeLonghi Dedica or Breville Cafe Roma, they are around $300-200 and you can make espressos, single shots, I think the Dedica also has a froth wand.

The OP was looking for something for the very occasional cup of coffee - I should think, as we are on a moneysaving forum, $300 is a bit OTT.
  • ReneRTores
    Options
    I think Ninja coffee maker is best for you. It has outstanding design and feature.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport