We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Dog at stud??

Options
13»

Comments

• takethatfan1978
    Options
    I have had Labradors for many years and at the moment have a beautiful 9 month old girl. When looking it took me absolutely ages to find the right breeder who had the right dogs. Health tests are extremely important as is the right temperament.

Now when looking for a dog it is so much more important to check more than just hips and eyes. At the very minimum I would be looking at dogs that have been tested for hips, elbows, current eye certificates and also Optigen Pra testing, EIC and CNM tests.

My labs have all been from working stock and my girl at the moment has a great pedigree with many FTCH/FTW. I was very fussy when looking for a pup and there were so many 'breeders' that had hips only done but still thought that was enough. Plenty out there that said 'I didn't bother with health tests as the dog will only be a pet' I really don't understand that it is important for all (I'm not saying that you are doing that, i am just really passionate about it)

Anyway good luck with what ever you decide :) Labs are the most beautiful dog (I think so anyway)

• mel48rose
    Options
    I have had Labradors for many years and at the moment have a beautiful 9 month old girl. When looking it took me absolutely ages to find the right breeder who had the right dogs. Health tests are extremely important as is the right temperament.

Now when looking for a dog it is so much more important to check more than just hips and eyes. At the very minimum I would be looking at dogs that have been tested for hips, elbows, current eye certificates and also Optigen Pra testing, EIC and CNM tests.

My labs have all been from working stock and my girl at the moment has a great pedigree with many FTCH/FTW. I was very fussy when looking for a pup and there were so many 'breeders' that had hips only done but still thought that was enough. Plenty out there that said 'I didn't bother with health tests as the dog will only be a pet' I really don't understand that it is important for all (I'm not saying that you are doing that, i am just really passionate about it)

Anyway good luck with what ever you decide :) Labs are the most beautiful dog (I think so anyway)

I agree labs are the best dogs ever. Thanks to everyone for their comments. I really don't want to alter my dogs' personality and would be seriously gutted if he changed after being used for stud. I've decided it's not worth the risk and to devote all my time to him. Thanks everyone x
    If you change nothing, nothing will change!!
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mel48rose wrote: »
    I agree labs are the best dogs ever. Thanks to everyone for their comments. I really don't want to alter my dogs' personality and would be seriously gutted if he changed after being used for stud. I've decided it's not worth the risk and to devote all my time to him. Thanks everyone x

I'm so pleased that you have reconsidered, but a little advice if I may :

Assuming you are going to leave your boy entire, do check his boy bits., from time to time.

I had four males, all entire, as there was no chance of their interfering with anyone's girlie dogs, but three years ago, I had an awful shock, while grooming the elder of the two boys I have now, because I discovered a testicular tumour. He was operated on in within days and is fine now at twelve.
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd get him neutered. If nothing else, if you don't then you'll never be able to let him off the lead on walks, and that'd be such a shame for a young lab.

Really glad you aren't going to breed from him and add to the numbers of excess pups in the country.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport