Dog at stud??

Options
Hi, I have a 2 yr old labrador with exc pedigree. I am thinkingh of offering him for stud. I have seen on some sites that they are best to be hip and eye scored. Does anyone know what this involves and the likely cost please?
If you change nothing, nothing will change!!

Comments

• Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You have a lot of research to do. If cost is even a factor, this is a bad idea.
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What were his parents eye and hip scores? If he is such excellent pedigree you should know the parents scores.That would be a start.

Then of course get him checked/scored and only ever think about breeding is his scores are excellent. There is enough unwell puppies coming into this world.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You will also need the scores of both his parents. There are other tests a lab would also need. I'm surprised your were sold a male lab on the active register without being told all of this.

We did stud our last dog, the set up costs healthwise were £1000, I don't know how much all the shows cost before we stud, as afterall, a responsible !!!!! owner would never breed from a dog who hasn't won various shows.
  • mel48rose
    mel48rose Posts: 513 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    edited 6 December 2015 at 6:35PM
    Options
    Sorry but when did I say that I didn't have his parents scores. Of course I have them. His father was champion lab IGL 2014 actually.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Nobody has said thet you don't know his parents hip scores but as you didn't say you knew them they just mentioned that it is something you need to know. We are not mind readers on here and ask questions to clarify if things are not clear to be able to offer the best advice for a situation.

Have you spoken to your dogs breeder about using him for stud? That would be a good place to start with getting advice on what health tests to have done, they may even have a suitable !!!!! for him to be used as stud for.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    details of the Kennel Club health test here

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/health/breeding-for-health/complex-inherited-disorders/bvakc-health-schemes/

click on the links for information about the tests.

Ask your vet what these tests would cost.

Once your dog has been shown to be suitable for breeding you then need to take advice on suitable !!!!!es for breeding. Your dog's breeder would be the best person to give you that advice.
  • mel48rose
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    sheramber wrote: »
    details of the Kennel Club health test here

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/health/breeding-for-health/complex-inherited-disorders/bvakc-health-schemes/

click on the links for information about the tests.

Ask your vet what these tests would cost.

Once your dog has been shown to be suitable for breeding you then need to take advice on suitable !!!!!es for breeding. Your dog's breeder would be the best person to give you that advice.

Thanks for that. I've not decided to breed with him just something that I may consider in the future.
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What are your reasons for considering it?
  • mel48rose
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    I would love one of his puppies. He is such an adorable boy. I lost my other dog last year and there is still a huge gap.
  • mel48rose
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    Person_one wrote: »
    You have a lot of research to do. If cost is even a factor, this is a bad idea.

Why is it such a bad idea in your opinion?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure