txtNation - Help Please

Options
OKmusky
OKmusky Posts: 3 Newbie
edited 6 December 2015 at 10:08AM in Mobiles
I recieved a text message last night saying "FreeMsg: Thank you for subscribing to MOSTEXTREMETVfor £4.50 per week from txtNation until you text STOP to 64055 HELP? 01183244333".

I thought nothing of it and presumed it was some sort of random scam, but I've just checked my 3 account and I have been charged £4.50 to my account and I have absolutely no idea how or why this has happened. Obviously I am reluctant to phone or text any of the numbers provided as I feel I am the victim of a scam, and am astonished that 3 has billed me to an unknown third party.

Please can anyone help me to resolve this matter by cancelling this and any future payments as I am very concerned. I have tried to contact 3, but no luck yet.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, with thanks in advance.

Comments

• Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 December 2015 at 10:35AM
    Options
    For messages received from mobile shortcodes, you must send the STOP message.

For messages received from normal 07 mobile numbers, simply delete and ignore.

You'll need to contact txtNation for a refund. By law the contact number must start 01, 02, 03 or 080 (the one in the message is a Reading 0118 number). If you have to call an 084, 087 or 09 number you have the right to a refund of your call costs.

You might also consider putting in a complaint to PhonepayPlus.
  • OKmusky
    Options
    Thank you Ian, I appreciate your reply. I'm just concerned that if I send 'STOP' then there'll be a massive charge and the scam will continue. I've done a quick Google search on the name and numbers, but it doesn't come up with much.
  • Ian011
    Options
    PhonepayPlus rules should ensure that STOP means STOP.

A further offence is committed if that turns out not to be the case.

It may cost you the price of "one standard rate message" to send the STOP messsage.
  • OKmusky
    Options
    Thank you Ian, I'll take your advice. Sorry for rambling on and maybe I'm naive, but I'm still bemused and perplexed as to how these people can extract money from me via my mobile provider when I've had no contact or dealings with them.
  • Ian011
    Options
    Some rogue apps send messages to subscribe you to various services.

Some apps have adverts which are easy to accidentally click on, and sign you up without a further confirmation.

Someone else may have typed your number in on a website, instead of their own.

There are other possibilities. It will be difficult to work out which it was.
  • Andie76
    Options
    I have the same problem and texting STOP repeatedly hasn't worked?

How can I stop thes texts?
  • diamonds
    diamonds Posts: 6,048 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Andie76 wrote: »
    I have the same problem and texting STOP repeatedly hasn't worked?

How can I stop thes texts?

http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk
    SO... now England its the Scots turn to say dont leave the UK, stay in Europe with us in the UK, dont let the tories fool you like they did us with empty lies... You will be leaving the UK aswell as Europe ;)
  • Ian011
    Options
    As well as making a complaint to PhonepayPlus, you might also want to call the service provider. Where they advertise a telephone number for this it must begin 01, 02, 03 or 080.
  • castor0700
    Options
    I came across this thread after typing in the 01883244333 number on a google search. The same thing happened to me last night, so clearly this fraud is still occurring. I contacted three first thing today and they have refunded the £4.50. I have text STOP and contacted the 0118 number. Three have also noted my complaint and that i didn't authorise the payment. My 'bill last night claimed it would be a weekly £4.50 subscription but so far, three have told me that this WILL be cancelled (ny fingers are crossed). Apparently i must've clicked on a pop-up window when browsing videos last night (i didn't realise it was dodgy, honest, just a couple of clicks from you tube, not !!!!!! I promise ;0). I'm cross that that ofcom allow billing in this fashion rather than you having to type in your phone number or billing detail.
    Nice to get one over the rich and shameless!
  • cityfais
    Options
    TXTNATION charge appearing on my o2 bill. o2 have charged by account every week for £4.50, called o2 and they insist its me who signed up for it despite insisting i didn't. Not impressed with o2 and constantly arguing with them. still don't know how to make this charge go away. The o2 rep said to text STOP to 60999 and not return message from txtnation.

Someone is making a lot of money from the scam and o2 don't give a damn!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure