Help to Buy ISA guide

Options

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You won't need the full 90% from your lender, you'll need to reduce this by the £1,700. Your solicitor should be able to fill you in on the details, assuming they're registered to process HTB transactions, have you checked this?
  • eucaliptus
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    You won't need the full 90% from your lender, you'll need to reduce this by the £1,700. Your solicitor should be able to fill you in on the details, assuming they're registered to process HTB transactions, have you checked this?

Thanks eskbanker.

Yes the solicitor is registered to process HTB transactions.

This process seems very poorly designed. I understand you are suggesting for me to contact my lender and asking them that instead of £196.000 I will need £194,300 (basically changing my application). This seems wrong as this means that for the purchase to go through the bonus application must be successful. If something was to go wrong with the bonus application the whole purchase would fall apart.

I don't want to be depending on the bonus application to be successful when I already have the 90% offer from my lender.

Are there any alternatives?

Thanks again.
  • eskbanker
    Options
    Lenders will be familiar with this scenario (it's the same for anyone using an HTB ISA) and in particular the minor variations between offered mortgage and the final figure needed - telling them that you 'only' need 99.1% of what they provisionally offered you really shouldn't be an issue....

Perhaps reducing the exchange downpayment by £1,700 might be viable, see what your solicitor says?
  • PollyWolly
    PollyWolly Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    If 2 people are planning on a HTB ISA with a view to buying a house together, do they have to save £400 pm or can it be less? Does it have to be £200 or is it anything upto £200pm, so can it be £200 one month and £150 the next?

Thank you
  • Logicalsquirrel
    Options
    Trying to get my head around claiming the bonus.

Details of my purchase:
    Sold for £131,000, valuation £130,000

Taking out a 90% mortgage so lending =90% of £130k = £117,000

So my deposit should be £14,000

So the exchange of contracts deposit is... 10% of £131,000? Or £14,000?

Having read some posts on the bonus and where it goes and when, I'm sure struggling to see where it fits in my scenario.

I put up the 13,100/14,000 at exchange... the bonus is due after this but goes where?

As payment towards mortgage which would decrease the LTV a bit?

I know the bonus itself I will never hold in my hand but is there any option to pay 10% at exchange LESS the bonus due, which will be eventually added to the whole funds my completion?

That way I would be able to retain the equivalent £1060 in my savings instead of it being paid towards the mortgage. Yes it will help long term but I could really use the money the month I move in.

I'm sure I'm not the only one to be disillusioned by the terms of the bonus lol
  • eskbanker
    Options
    PollyWolly wrote: »
    If 2 people are planning on a HTB ISA with a view to buying a house together, do they have to save £400 pm or can it be less? Does it have to be £200 or is it anything upto £200pm, so can it be £200 one month and £150 the next?

Thank you
    £200 is the maximum monthly contribution into an HTB ISA, you don't actually have to pay anything in if you don't want to (or can't).
  • eskbanker
    Options
    I put up the 13,100/14,000 at exchange... the bonus is due after this but goes where?

As payment towards mortgage which would decrease the LTV a bit?

I know the bonus itself I will never hold in my hand but is there any option to pay 10% at exchange LESS the bonus due, which will be eventually added to the whole funds my completion?

That way I would be able to retain the equivalent £1060 in my savings instead of it being paid towards the mortgage. Yes it will help long term but I could really use the money the month I move in.

I'm sure I'm not the only one to be disillusioned by the terms of the bonus lol
    See posts #1391 to 1394 above, it's the same situation.
  • PollyWolly
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    £200 is the maximum monthly contribution into an HTB ISA, you don't actually have to pay anything in if you don't want to (or can't).
    Thank you. So we could save for say 5 years at 150 a month, as king as it's not over 200pm and ultimately doesn't exceed £12k?
  • PollyWolly
    Options
    *Long not king
  • eskbanker
    Options
    PollyWolly wrote: »
    Thank you. So we could save for say 5 years at 150 a month, as [STRIKE]king[/STRIKE]long as it's not over 200pm and ultimately doesn't exceed £12k?
    Yes, although £12K isn't an absolute limit for the balance, it's the maximum that a bonus will be paid on.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback