Beware of EMAELECTRONICS

Options
Watch out everybody. I was looking for anew laptop and found the best deal through the google search - one of the sponsored links - emaelectronics.com - the website looks very convincing , wide range of electronics, white goods etc..massive selection and fantastic prices. Allegedly based in Hampshire, free delivery and payment protection etc etc...I bought the laptop and paid by my credit card - in few hours I received email saying the payment was REFUSED by my bank and that should pay directly to the company account - Lloyds , the price to pay was suddenly even cheaper ! "Discount applied" Alarm bells ringing?? I checked with my bank, they confirmed that there was a payment of 79pence - usually testing if the card is genuine, the bank approved it and said yes but the payment of the whole sum £440 was not taken - clearly because the fake company is aware would not get anything from credit card once it becomes clear this is a scam.
I tried to call the landline number for the company - the dialling code is from Glasgow (!!) and yet they are based in Hampshire (?) and the line does not work..

So, in this pre Christmas shopping frenzy, watch out! I have never fell for this before but easily done....have a look at the website - it looks so genuine and professional...!!!!!!!s...

Again the golden rule - if the deal looks it is too good to be true, run away...

I have now ask for a replacement card....

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Jirule wrote: »
    emaelectronics.com - the website looks very convincing

not sure if it has been taken down but I cannot open the site
    checking the history shows the domain name was registered less than 4 weeks ago...which would ring alarm bells for me
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,554 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    NEVER click the sponsored links or advertised links in google.

Always scroll down to the proper results.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• ClaireJ23
    Options
    Bizrate.co.uk were advertising EMA electronics offers.

I tried to buy a washer dryer through EMA electronics, but realised that site was down, no-one was answering the telephone number (0141 356 4875 - Scotland, Glasgow number) or responding to the online help chat. Address given on EMA website was based in England, Portsmouth I think it was.

They didn´t take credit card payment but we´ve reported cards as lost/stolen as we´ve given them our details and I´ve reported it via

http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

Beware to others
    Jan 2015 £11,000/£11,000

Not buying it 2015
  • Iconism
    Options
    Emaelectronics were reported to moneysaving on Thursday (but no action). We had the website / company reported to crime agencies / domain suppliers and URL industry as criminal yesterday. Police should be knocking on their door by now.
  • Iconism
    Options
    #emaelectronics There is an open actionfraud case number and police enquiry. Report your own case quickly and make sure you supply bank details they used.
  • Jirule
    Options
    Thanks. I have reported it following day on action fraud website , I am not the only person it seems....

Anyway, it was an experience....
  • Kevindowns
    Options
    O Dear! Sent message (Question) on Thursday evening about UK supply or grey imports, Replied early Friday with positive reply, Found 10% discount code for 1st order so ordered Friday midday, sat nav and cam corder, the extra discount made it a really cracking price, received, order acknowledgement, items in stock and invoice was "to follow in around 2 hours" No invoice after 8 hours, all links to site not working. Phoned credit card Friday night and was told there has been no activity on account since early November. Now today (Sunday) found these warnings.
    Has anyone had money taken from details given on website purchase?
    Their security status was still showing as good on Saturday
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can you give a link to the security status
  • Kevindowns
    Kevindowns Posts: 63 Forumite
    edited 30 November 2015 at 1:44AM
    Options
    https://secure.sitelock.com/verify.php?site=emaelectronics.com

Hi Hollydays

Couldn't remember how I came across it but have just found this in "history" - Hope it helps!
  • jason_pollard
    Options
    hi, we have purchased a fridge from ema electronics and our payment of nearly £400 did go through from our bank ? but then last wednesday when it was meant to arrive it didnt !!! we phoned them and they said it had been delivered to the wrong address and that they couldnt re-deliver for another week !!!! we said thats not good enough and asked for a refund !!! they said they would refund us and the money should show in our banc by friday the 27TH nov ? and as you can quess we still havent got anything and e-mail telephone and website have all gone !!!!! any advise would be grateful, thank you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure