🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Online supermarket shopping

Options

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I can have Asda or Sainsbugs, and I find Sainsbugs much better. The drivers are nicer, the substitues are far fewer, have had no problems with them but several with Asda.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    pineapple wrote: »
    Well I think I'll go for it! Nearest good place is Barnard Castle which is 35 - 40 minutes drive. I love Barny but would rather spend time exploring the small shops instead of spending my time running round the Morrisons there like a contestant on supermarket sweep! :D

Make sure you use Quidco or Topcashback for first time shopper cash in addition to any offers on the supermarkets own webstes.

I recently used Sainsburys after a gap of at least a year and got several vouchers in email of 10 pounds off a 50 pound shop plus free delivery to try and kee me shopig with them......so try them all and wait for the come back offers to roll in. With the Quidco, the returning customer vouchers and the savings in petrol - you'll do rather well.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • Petula
    Petula Posts: 194 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    duchy wrote: »
    Make sure you use Quidco or Topcashback for first time shopper cash in addition to any offers on the supermarkets own webstes.

I recently used Sainsburys after a gap of at least a year and got several vouchers in email of 10 pounds off a 50 pound shop plus free delivery to try and kee me shopig with them......so try them all and wait for the come back offers to roll in. With the Quidco, the returning customer vouchers and the savings in petrol - you'll do rather well.

I received the same from Sainsbugs after not shopping with them for several months. £10 off £50 emails and also a couple that came with the order, the emails had free delivery too :D I find Asda a bit cheaper, but better quality on fresh items from Sainsbugs and have gone back to them now. I think I've ordered from all of the home delivery services and find Sainsbugs a good even ground IYSWIM ;)

The best 'service' has to go to Waitrose, as they give you anything close dated free (or do here!) or of course you can return it. Expensive though.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Petula wrote: »
    I find Asda a bit cheaper, but better quality on fresh items from Sainsbugs and have gone back to them now. I think I've ordered from all of the home delivery services and find Sainsbugs a good even ground IYSWIM ;)
    When I lived in a place with several supermarkets to choose from, I used to use Asda for bulk stuff but found Sainsbugs better quality for fresh foods and not necessarily more expensive.
    We do have a Co-op in the area where I live now but I find it expensive with limited fresh foods. I think they cater more for the tourist market ie people passing through or holiday cottage renters wanting quick fixes/convenience food :(
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I live across the road from ASDA and a few minutes walk from a Tesco. However, I get my shopping delivered. My favourite is Morrisons, second choice is Sainsbury's then Tesco, ASDA and occasionally Ocado. It really depends on who sends me an offer.

I have to switch supermarkets regularly as no single supermarket stocks everything I want but they together they all do.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    When I was at work I had a Sainsbury's delivery every week. All the food delivered was of good quality, and delivery problems were rare.

Sainsbury's is my nearest supermarket, so I now shop there weekly, but have a periodic Asda delivery for a 'stock up' of bulky items and tinned and dry good etc, plus meat and fish for the freezer. Delivery in some daytime weekday slots is only £1. I wasn't too impressed the first time as there were lots of substitutions. But, after that they have been very good, although I still slightly prefer Sainsburys for deliveries
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • welshbookworm
    Options
    My favourite is Morrisons.
    1 broken egg and they refunded the box.
    The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've had very good service from Morrisons. I've been very pleased with the fresh stuff because it always has good dates on it - I was worried about getting lots of stuff with only a day left on the Use By date.
  • Sally_A
    Sally_A Posts: 2,266 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Chuffed to bits with our Asda deliveries, was paying £5 per month, and getting £6 delivery slots, managed to undo the auto renew somehow, and am now on £2.50 per month until October 2016.

Short dates are the biggest problem, I only request a refund if the short date scuppers my meal plan, eg the gammon steaks which should have had 2 weeks life on them only had 2 days, but I plan to use them Monday - so why be churlish?

I often get my delivery charge back in their Price Guarantee.

I see substitutions as a challenge rather than a pain, so 9 times out of 10 will accept.

I had 2 boxes of eggs, one egg damaged in each box - was fully refunded at the doorstep for both.

Working full time, and having delivery between 8-10am on a Saturday, I really appreciate it.
  • anneliza
    anneliza Posts: 80 Forumite
    Options
    Ocado is the best, they have a dedicated warehouse and rarely need to offer a substitute.

Tesco's etc have their shoppers in store so if they find things out of stock on the day they do your shopping that is just tough. I also think that personal shoppers wandering around the store clogs up the supermarkets for everyone else.

I never seem to have an issue with sell by dates with Ocado.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport