PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Oil spill on drive

Options

Comments

• tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can buy drive way cleaner and it works pretty well.
    Happy chappy
  • Robothell
    Robothell Posts: 494 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Biological washing powder made into a paste and left on it for a few hours then (carefully) mopped back up works any time I've had an oil spill.
    Life in this world is, as it were, a sojourn in a cave. What can we know of reality? For all we can see of the true nature of existence is, shall we say, no more than bewildering and amusing shadows cast upon the inner wall of the cave by the unseen blinding light of absolute truth, from which we may or may not deduce some glimmer of veracity, and we as troglodyte seekers of wisdom can only lift our voices to the unseen and say humbly "Go on, do deformed rabbit again.....it's my favourite". © Terry Pratchett in "Small Gods"

Founder member of the Barry Scott Appreciation Society
  • Evergreen_Electrical
    Options
    After reading this thread, I went to Halfords. They didn't have any Gunk, but they had liquid Swarfega at £6.99. It has worked to a degree - it seemed to have done the trick but the next day there was a faint patch. seems that it needs a second application
  • pennymakespounds
    Options
    any good recommendations ?
    thanks
  • hornetgirl
    hornetgirl Posts: 6,147 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Tip a bag of cat litter over it and leave for a day or so, then sweep up. Most of the oil should come away with it.
  • esmf73
    esmf73 Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    Options
    I can second the cat litter. Not tried it but have heard about it before.
    2014 will be all about ME!
    ( well that hasn't happened!!!)
    Mortgage free. Will be debt free in Nov 2014. Credit card £250
  • Pete*G_4
    Pete*G_4 Posts: 552 Forumite
    Options
    I used to work on the Back Door at Tesco, and we used to keep any bags of Cat Litter that had split, as it worked wonders for mopping up oil & diesel from the Lorries.
    GREENS M'SHIP OFFER NOW CLOSED SO PLEASE DON'T ASK ME!
    Olympic Debt-free Challenge £2150/£11900 = 18.0%
    NOW INVESTIGATING AN ALTERNATIVE TO MY IVA - I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND ONE ANY MORE!
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi pennymakespounds,

Theres an existing thread with more ideas that may help so I've added your thread to it to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • jexygirl
    jexygirl Posts: 753 Forumite
    Options
    full strength coke... not sure if it has been posted before, but did you ever drop an old copper penny or 2p into it for a few seconds? Its amazing... worrying what it does to you but pour it on the stain, it got oil off the block paved drive, (when i had one!) it owned!
    Jex
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    I will pay jexygirl the compliment of saying that she invariably writes a lot of sense!
    and she finally worked out after 4 months, how to make that quote her sig! :rotfl:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    re coke have you ever seen what a small amount can do to an ordinery vhs or tape that you put into a tape player ,it disolves it, so what can it do to kids teeth.Luckily none of my grandchildren like it for some reason, maybe because its fizzy and none like fizzy drinks as they have been brought up without them(they all have smashing teeth as well) so there may be a link to that.You can also clean coins with it ,just drop them in overnight and they sparkle in the morning.I think of coke as somewhat marginally less lethal than cilletbang
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure