PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Oil spill on drive

Options

Comments

• dannahaz
    dannahaz Posts: 1,068 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for your help and links everyone.

His van is still on the drive, so I can't try anything until he's gone. I've put some cardboard underneath to stop it getting worse.

I'll try the cat litter to soak it up first, then I'll try some fairy power spray. If that doesn't work, i'll go and get some GUNK from Halfords.

If that all fails then replacing the blocks mnight be an option, I think we have some spares.

Thanks again everyone, I'll let you know how I get on.
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dannahaz wrote: »
    His van is still on the drive

I would get him to clean it,(or pay for it), it is his vehicle that has caused the damage.
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• MEGANJODELLE
    Options
    Hi, hope someone can help, I've just noticed some oil stains from a car on my block paved drive. Is there a MSE way to get them off? I know you can buy expensive cleaners, but was hoping there was a simpler way. I was going to put some sand on the stains as they're still new, but accept that this won't clean them off.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Megan
  • dolly_day_dream
    Options
    Have just asked my DS who lays paving and his advice is not to buy the expensive cleaners cos they don't work that well - they will still leave a very noticeable mark. Use a degreasant - Screwfix apparently sell one for £5 - and a jet washer. Try not to wash too much of the sand out between the blocks. This will work as well if not better than the expensive cleaners. He also said that having your blocks sealed when they are laid helps to stop this happening in the first place.:(
    True wealth lies in contentment - not cash. Dollydaydream 2006
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was once told by a pharmacist that the best thing to clean oil patches off a driveway is to pour coca cola on it. I dont like the stuff, but would never let my kids drink it after hearing that! :eek:
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • MEGANJODELLE
    Options
    Thanks for your advice guys,

Much appreciated.

Regards

Megan
    x
  • mrsd
    mrsd Posts: 255 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I bought a big bottle of cleaner made for oil stains on driveways from Lidl for 1.99 it went all white and when dry you brush it off. It worked quite well although it didnt leave it spotless. Trouble is now paying 800 pound bill to get car fixed!!!!!
    Thoughts to all. Mrs D.
    Grocery challenge £52/£150 for June.
  • kingmonkey
    kingmonkey Posts: 846 Forumite
    Options
    Oh man, does anyone have any tips on cleaning oil (engine) from drives, it is a brick paved type drive?

My neighbours will hate me!!!
  • doddsy
    doddsy Posts: 396 Forumite
    Options
    You could phone up your local oil delivery company and ask them nicely for some pig matting or granules - depending on how bad it is.
    doddsy
    We must not, in trying to think about how we can make a big difference, ignore the small daily differences we can make which, over time, add up to big differences that we often cannot foresee.
    – Marian Wright Edelman
  • Desperate_Housewife_2-2
    Options
    cat litter or sand might work to soak it up a bit, or try a detergent (washing up liquid) to cut through the grease?
    Save £12k in 2012 no.49 £10,250/£12,000
    Save £12k in 2013 no.34 £11,800/£12,000
    'How much can you save' thread = £7,050
    Total=£29,100
    Mfi3 no. 88: Balance Jan '06 = £63,000. :mad:
    Balance 23.11.09 = £nil. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income