🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

unlocking company gone out of business?

Options
Hi I contacted "phoneunlockcodes.co.uk" to unlock my iphone last saturday - it was recommended via an article on moneysavingsupermarket. I went with them as they stated it could be done in 24 hours. I made my payment which has been taken via MOJACAR of £25 (in euro's). It's now 6 days later and its still not unlocked. I've e-mailed them 3 times but I've not had a reply and on calling the number for customer support - 0844 4822 431 it just says its no longer in use.

Has anyone else had experience of them or have they gone bust and just taken my money? I can't find anything about them online. Any idea of what I can do about it?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Any company that promises to "officially" unlock iPhones for dozens of countries all over the world is likely to be a scam. Normally, only the mobile provider that it is locked to can do this and unscrupulous employees inside.

I don't know where you have got the telephone number, but the fact that I see only a e-mail address on the website for contacting them rings the bell too.

I have no idea what 'MOJACAR' is, but if it was a card payment, contact your card provider and ask for a chargeback:
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's a town on the Costa Almeria. Possibly a scam site based in Spain, masquerading as UK based?
    Didn't a Euro payment merchant request (when the site is priced in sterling) ring any warning bells?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,231 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A Company called MyMobileWorld Ltd used to run the website but they went out of business on 4th August 2015 according to Companies House.
    http://www.phoneunlockcodes.co.uk/unlocking-terms.html
    You'll need to speak to your bank/credit card company.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    But still taking online payments last Saturday?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,231 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    But still taking online payments last Saturday?
    Somebody else is now running the website and probably diverting the payments to a different account; which is why you need to follow the money.
  • Futuristic
    Futuristic Posts: 1,140 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 20 November 2015 at 1:15PM
    Options
    The site has a live chat on the bottom corner, perhaps ask for update there?
    Will
    Yes we are UK based. No problem, the choice of who you use is entirely yours.

Will
    That was owned by Mobile World Limited but we haven't marketed that site since January. I think you have arrived there from an old link.

Sounds dodgy to say the least, probably not reporting their sales or paying taxes :)

Oh and they banned me from chat when I got down to asking what their main site is then. Their logo name is same as another bigger legitimate company.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    That was owned by Mobile World Limited but we haven't marketed that site since January
    What "that"?!
    This one says: "operated by MyMobileWorld Ltd" that, reportedly, went out of business.

Extremely dodgy.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,633 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Probably a good reason to buy unofficial unlocks via eBay and pay by Paypal. At least you have hassle free protection for 6 months against the seller.
    ====
  • consumer13
    Options
    MOJACAR was what came up on my statement as who took the payment.

It processed it in £ on the website then when the payment went through it came up in Euro's

Got the website via a link on moneysavingsupermarket and giffgaff so thought it was genuine. Now I don't know what company I can trust to do it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 7 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport