Forum Home » Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning

Lastminute.com - Top Secret Hotels REVEALED (London ONLY) - Page 100

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Lastminute.com - Top Secret Hotels REVEALED (London ONLY)

2.1K replies 2.9M views

Replies

• Hi guys,

Fantastic thread - what a fab idea!
    Can anyone help me with the names of the following hotels?

- Miraculous Discounts in Mayfair! Wonderfully located elegant 4star hotel in the heart of London's Mayfair.

- A Spectacular hotel near Covent Garden - BARGAIN!! One of the city's most spectacular 5 star hotels, located in the lap of Theatreland, Covent Garden and Trafalgar Square - what more could you ask for?

- Unbelievable offer at a Hotel in Piccadilly - 5* - London. Overlooking Green Park, this first class hotel is only a short stroll away from Buckingham Palace, the boutiques of Bond Street, Knightsbridge and London's West End theatres.

I hope I havn't missed these posts in the tread, but I don't think so...

And - can anyone reccomend any sites besides LM for booking?
    Thanks so much in advance.
  • kalicokalico Forumite
    211 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Radisson Edwardian Vanderbilt. It's reasonably good, big rooms but the decor is more old-fashioned than modern from what I've heard.
    I stayed here a week ago and I would say the rooms were anything but big. In fact the first one I got (a single) was so small I asked to be moved. Seriously, it was one of the smallest rooms I've ever seen. More 2 star at best.

I'm not sure if the hotel can see that you've got a cheap deal through Lastminute.com and therefore allocate you an inferior room.

The room they moved me to was a twin, but still small for a hotel of this quality. The road noise is bad at the front too (despite being on the 4th floor).

I've stayed in lots of Secret rooms before, but this was the worst so far.
  • kalicokalico Forumite
    211 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    loves_uk wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    [snip]
    And - can anyone reccomend any sites besides LM for booking?
    Thanks so much in advance.
    If you're using Firefox, get an Add-on called iOpus iMacros and set it up to throw up a few booking sites at the click of one button.

I tend to start with Trivago.co.uk, which compares many of the other booking sites (including Lastminute.com, Laterooms, Booking.com and many, many others). It does miss the occasional deal, so best to get an idea from it and then double check with the individual sites concerned. I've also noticed that it seems to have stopped scanning HRS and Travelodge, which it used to do.

Note that it doesn't scan Top Secret Hotels.

I also check on this link: http://www.hotelstayuk.com/affiliatelogin.aspx?password=vip

That doesn't compare the range of others, but seems to link into some trade back-end booking system which often gives really good deals. Or more often than not it will include breakfast when other sites exclude it. You'll often see the same hotel listed multiple times at wildly differing prices. Guess it's just the sources that they use, sitting behind that website.

When I've found the best deal, I'll check on Quidco to see if any cashback is available.

Hope that helps.
  • wendysnwendysn Forumite
    9 posts
    Hotels in town don't look like they're going to be selling out, so wait a few more days is my advice. I think we'll see prices come down a little. Also, lastminute is playing up for me again so I can't search effectively.

Dolphin House Apartments are decent enough, spacious and fairly centrally located though a little walk from the tube. The decor is kind of basic 4* hotel standard, probably most good 4* hotels in London will feel a bit more luxurious.

Hello all ( and hopefully Pelican )!

I have waited until very close I know but I need a room for this weekend (Friday 18th, Saturday 19th) in central london (will be doing usual, Tate Modern, Tate, Covent garden, Oxford St etc). I am looking at staying around £100 pn, would go slightly more but ideally less. I am ambitiously want ing a 4 or 5 star. Have been looking so much I've overwhelmed myself, what do you think?
  • wendysn wrote: »
    Hello all ( and hopefully Pelican )!

I have waited until very close I know but I need a room for this weekend (Friday 18th, Saturday 19th) in central london (will be doing usual, Tate Modern, Tate, Covent garden, Oxford St etc). I am looking at staying around £100 pn, would go slightly more but ideally less. I am ambitiously want ing a 4 or 5 star. Have been looking so much I've overwhelmed myself, what do you think?

Puzzlingly, prices are still looking slightly higher than I would expect given that nowhere seems to be sold out.

Superb high quality hotel next to Tower Bridge at £92.50 is worth a look, it's the Grange City. Claims to be 5* but is really 4*.

Amazing Rates-near Buckingham Palace & Theatres is a bit pricey at £104.55 but is the Park Plaza Victoria, perfectly decent.

A bit more basic standard you have Great Hotel between Oxford St & Regents Park at £81.25 which is Holiday Inn Regents Park. The location is great but hotel is basic for a 4*.

I would say it's worth looking on travelsupermarket to see what might be available including breakfast in the £100-120 range as the secret hotel rates almost never have breakfast.

I've just had a quick look and saw Crowne Plaza London Shoreditch for £115 inc breakfast if you add it on when booking on the Crowne Plaza site (this includes the tax which they don't include in their rates, a sucky policy).

Asda has Mint Westminster at £98 (ex breakfast). They also appear to have Apex City of London at £110 including breakfast which if you're OK with the location would make it my first choice. Also the Park City Hotel at £118 inc breakfast, another excellent hotel.
  • kalico wrote: »
    I stayed here a week ago and I would say the rooms were anything but big. In fact the first one I got (a single) was so small I asked to be moved. Seriously, it was one of the smallest rooms I've ever seen. More 2 star at best.

I'm not sure if the hotel can see that you've got a cheap deal through Lastminute.com and therefore allocate you an inferior room.

The room they moved me to was a twin, but still small for a hotel of this quality. The road noise is bad at the front too (despite being on the 4th floor).

I've stayed in lots of Secret rooms before, but this was the worst so far.

Interesting, I haven't stayed there myself but mainly heard good things about it, only complaints about the old-fashioned decor. Presumably as a lone traveller they'd be putting you in smaller rooms, as it's a townhouse-type hotel their room size will vary quite a bit I suppose.

Always good to have some extra feedback and it certainly makes me think again about recommending that one.
  • kalico wrote: »

For the dates of 18-20 March (wendysn's dates) this link throws up an excellent price for Crowne Plaza London Shoreditch which equals the lowest I've ever seen and is cheaper than the one I found above. Other rates didn't look too dramatically special.

Haven't seen that company before, wonder where they get their inventory?
  • loves_uk wrote: »
    - Miraculous Discounts in Mayfair! Wonderfully located elegant 4star hotel in the heart of London's Mayfair.
    Washington Mayfair Hotel. Think this is new as a secret hotel and it's an unknown quantity to me. Tripadvisor reviews aren't exactly glowing.

- A Spectacular hotel near Covent Garden - BARGAIN!! One of the city's most spectacular 5 star hotels, located in the lap of Theatreland, Covent Garden and Trafalgar Square - what more could you ask for?
    Waldorf Hilton Hotel. Very good but not in the absolute top rank.

- Unbelievable offer at a Hotel in Piccadilly - 5* - London. Overlooking Green Park, this first class hotel is only a short stroll away from Buckingham Palace, the boutiques of Bond Street, Knightsbridge and London's West End theatres.
    Sheraton Park Lane - amusingly first revealed by The Times back in 2007! Not really recommended.

Have annotated your hotels above.
  • Thank you so much for your help to both pelican and kalico!
  • wendysnwendysn Forumite
    9 posts
    Puzzlingly, prices are still looking slightly higher than I would expect given that nowhere seems to be sold out.

Superb high quality hotel next to Tower Bridge at £92.50 is worth a look, it's the Grange City. Claims to be 5* but is really 4*.

Amazing Rates-near Buckingham Palace & Theatres is a bit pricey at £104.55 but is the Park Plaza Victoria, perfectly decent.

A bit more basic standard you have Great Hotel between Oxford St & Regents Park at £81.25 which is Holiday Inn Regents Park. The location is great but hotel is basic for a 4*.

I would say it's worth looking on travelsupermarket to see what might be available including breakfast in the £100-120 range as the secret hotel rates almost never have breakfast.

I've just had a quick look and saw Crowne Plaza London Shoreditch for £115 inc breakfast if you add it on when booking on the Crowne Plaza site (this includes the tax which they don't include in their rates, a sucky policy).

Asda has Mint Westminster at £98 (ex breakfast). They also appear to have Apex City of London at £110 including breakfast which if you're OK with the location would make it my first choice. Also the Park City Hotel at £118 inc breakfast, another excellent hotel.

Hello all (and particularly Pelican)

Thank you so much for all the advice, I have just booked the "superb high quality hotel nr tower bridge " and it is indeed Grange City, also just taken advantage of offer to upgrade to 1st class through The trainline fro £10 each so it will be a lovely start to the weekend!

Thank you so much for all of your help and hard work.

Wendy:j