Urgent help - very worried

Options

Comments

• Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks for the link. I'll check them out.

We got another letter from the CSA today saying we have to pay £16 a week.

They refused our offer of £10 a week last week and wanted the full amount :confused:
    Here I go again on my own....
  • aMeLia'S~MuMMY
    Options
    The task might have 'pinged off' into someone elses queue and they might have used their common sense and saw that the £16 p/week would clear the arrears within 2 years ( well nearly!) or perhaps they read my post on 08/09/07 !!

I assure you there are plenty more people out there with arrears which are 1. much greater and 2. due to the PWC, so I don't understand why the CSA were getting their knickers in a twist in the first place and demanding the full amount from you.

:A
    This is a do-it-yourself test for paranoia: you know you've got it when you can't think of anything that's your fault.
    Robert M. Hutchins
  • NAR
    NAR Posts: 4,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Becles wrote: »
    We got another letter from the CSA today saying we have to pay £16 a week.
    I accept that you say money is tight; however this is OH's debt. Surely he can find someway of making £6 a week extra (you say you can afford £10pw) to make the payments? It isn't a lot? Can a mobile phone be done without or Sky TV?
  • Becles
    Options
    We only buy essentials at the moment with me being on maternity leave, but we'll just have to make cut backs somewhere to pay it as they refuse to accept anything less, and refuse to hold out until January when I go back to work.

It's just so frustrating being bullied to pay a debt he doesn't believe he owes, when we've got more pressing bills to pay, such as the brakes on the car need fixing and the house guttering blew off in a storm so that really needs replacing before the winter.

We are now onto the 7th random figure as to how much we owe, and they are still refusing to explain how they arrived at that figure or any of the other figures.
  • Becles
    Options
    We sent a formal letter of complaint to the CSA stating that we believe hubby owes them nothing, and he is not willing to pay random four figure sums of money until someone could take the time and go through the figures to explain exactly why they think he owes them that. They have recieved the letter but chosen not to reply to it :confused:

The nasty phone calls threatening baliffs have stopped though, which was the main cause of concern.

Our MP is now involved and has escalated the matter to a regional director on our behalf. He will let us know when he has more news on the situation.
  • aMeLia'S~MuMMY
    Options
    Thanks for the update

This is a do-it-yourself test for paranoia: you know you've got it when you can't think of anything that's your fault.
    Robert M. Hutchins
  • Becles
    Options
    I spoke too soon :(

The very rude man from post #1 telephoned this evening. He told hubby to pay up immediately. Hubby politely explained about the letters and the MP's involvement and that we don't understand why he suddenly owes this money. The man said the computer says we owe it and refused to explain any further as the computer is always right :confused:

Hubby again asked for an explanation of why they think we owe them money. The man refused to give an explanation and demanded money again. Hubby said we don't have that sort of money at the moment. The man said we have to face the consequences now, so he is starting debt enforcement action.

Hubby has sent £16 by standing order today, to show we are willing to pay something, but we cannot afford a 4 figure lump sum.

We have looked at what hubby has paid over the years again, and we still cannot understand why he owes them so much money.

I'm terrified of baliffs turning up at home again :(
  • passion8
    passion8 Posts: 2,937 Forumite
    Options
    I'm terrified of baliffs turning up at home again :(

Hi Becles :)

I sent a PM because my copy/paste function had disabled itself, but I've had a look here

http://www.bailiffadviceonline.co.uk/magistrates_canthebailiff.htm

so don't forget that bailiffs should not be invited in. Good luck btw x
    Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive. ~ Sir Walter Scott
  • aMeLia'S~MuMMY
    Options

The man said the computer says we owe it and refused to explain any further as the computer is always right :confused:

Oh how wrong he is !!!! the computer always right ~ he must be having a laugh !!

Does he know that you have set up the standing order, as expalained previously on this post PAG forms should be used to negoitiate debt, first instance would be to request a lump sum , however they can negotiate on this and make an arrearrs agreement and as long as it clears within 2 years (£16 a week if I remember) then enforcement would not be considered.

Perhaps you should ring back (again I know) as I have previously suggested at a different time and get a different member of staff or his supervisor as his atttitute appears heavy handed in this circumstance.

Robert M. Hutchins
  • Becles
    Options
    Yes - he was told that, and he was told the MP was involved and a formal letter of complaint has been sent to the CSA as we dispute that we actually owe anything, but he refused to accept that we had done all of that as it wasn't listed on his computer :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport