PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Vegetarian Christmas

1235»

Comments

• melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    This guy (Denis Cotter) is a renowned veggie chef and has written books and such. He has a restaurant in Cork Ireland called Cafe Paradiso. Despite not being veggie, I swooned at the food there when we visited Cork recently with veggie friends!

I think OP might just find something lovely in this list of Denis Cotter's recipes. I hope so anyway...

http://www.cafeparadiso.ie/recipes
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    For a veggie stuffing, Linda Mc's Rosemary and red onion veggie sausage is fab. Allow them to defrost and shape into balls before baking. Really tasty.
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,663
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Smoosh wrote: »
    Glad to be of use :) I love the recipe.

That cheesecake sounds good! Is it on the BBC website?

It's here, one good turn deserves another.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chocolatecheesecake_79990
    Thanks again
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    beanie414 wrote: »
    My wife (vegan) likes the Violife vegan cheese and you can buy that in Tesco.:)

Thanks for this I will give it a go :)
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    melanzana wrote: »
    This guy (Denis Cotter) is a renowned veggie chef and has written books and such. He has a restaurant in Cork Ireland called Cafe Paradiso. Despite not being veggie, I swooned at the food there when we visited Cork recently with veggie friends!

I think OP might just find something lovely in this list of Denis Cotter's recipes. I hope so anyway...

http://www.cafeparadiso.ie/recipes

There are some lovely ideas on that list. Thanks for posting it 😊
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Me and OH are veggie and have been for over 30 years. We cook Christmas dinner for 14 and, as well as us two, five others are veggie.

We try and do something different every year and have cooked things like nut roast, stuffed peppers, stuffed mushrooms, goats cheese and red onion individual tarts, vegetable strudel, goats cheese and vegetable roulade.

We are trying to decide what to make this year
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,817
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Frys foods have brought out a new roast, and do many 'fake meat style' products, sausages, schnitzel, stir fry strips, burgers, fake battered prawns, hotdogs etc.

The beef style/ chick style strips are great for making pasties with left over veg on boxing day.

They are all also half price at Ocado, so around the £1.50 mark for 4 schnitzel/8sausages/ 10 hotdogs.

(Dont forget there is free delivery and 15% off a £60 spend for first orders and £6 cashback)

Having said that, as we have 4 kids (ages 6-13) and they tend to stuff themselves with their Xmas sweeties from their grandparents, we tend to do homemade pizzas or a curry, as they are not terribly hungry at lunchtime.

We don't have any other family in this country so it is just the 6 of us. A roast is something that happens 3 x a week, so they see it as a normal meal, rather than something special.

Mind you, a tofu quiche with exotic mushrooms sounds good this year, but then again, I do love a good pie!!

I must state for clarity, we are all dodgy vegans in our house !!!
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • suzy_g
    suzy_g Posts: 726
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi Me and husband have been vegans for 4 or 5 weeks now :)
    I want to make a couple of vegan dishes like nut and seed load and maybe a lentil wellington , can I cook these in advance and freeze ahead?? as I work Christmas eve and I am cooking for 12 - 13
    and also someone mentioned non dairy cream where can I find them?
    Thank you
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    we have one older thread
    and the complete vegetarian collection which may help

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income