Options

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,650 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 May 2016 at 12:32AM
    Options
    SC2016 wrote: »
    my child has been excluded (due to lack of available places) from a year 9 pgl adventure trip due to take place just before the summer term ends. What are the implications of taking my child out of school while his peers take part in a non-educational trip?
    I'd say implications are the same as taking him out any other time. Have you asked school what those pupils 'excluded' will be doing. It may be PE activities like the others will be doing at PGL to help balance off the crammed academic curriculum the rest of the year. Unfortunately without the social/emotional aspect of being residential though or activities like canoeing or sailing that few schools have facilities for. Was it first come first served?
  • Jagraf
    Jagraf Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 25 May 2016 at 6:57AM
    Options
    Schools can't win can they. Whilst us parents think we are educational experts (until they need to blame schools) then the whole system will continue to be a mess.

It should be left to the professionals to sort it out. We dont tell pilots how to fly planes. Most of us aren't qualified to do so.

There's also a shortage of teachers. Maybe some parents should train to be one (and then they can see the work involved before making naive statements), if it's such an easy job with so many holidays.
    Never again will the wolf get so close to my door :eek:
  • tidwah82
    Options
    Lets see if we can claim back our fines for our children's absence.
    theclaimsdepartment.com
  • gregg1
    gregg1 Posts: 3,148 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    tidwah82 wrote: »
    Lets see if we can claim back our fines for our children's absence.
    theclaimsdepartment.com

Or better still. Lets see if you can reduce your chilldrens's absence !!!!!
  • Jagraf
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I hope all kids realise how important education is when they become mature enough to make their own decisions.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jagraf wrote: »
    I hope all kids realise how important education is when they become mature enough to make their own decisions.

You mean like those whose parents took them out of school when they were school pupils but somehow have managed to get decent jobs so they can afford to take their kids on holidays (but refuse to pay three times more out of principle!)?

I haven't taken my kids out of school half the time my parents took me out, yet I've done very well, a Masters' behind me and a good job, so needless to say that I don't believe for one second that they did wrong by me, especially as I still have heart-warming memories of those holidays.

I expect my kids will do what they think is right for them and their kids, as my parents did and as I do now.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,169 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    gregg1 wrote: »
    Did you request the work? I was replying to someone who had chosen to take their child out of school and thought the teacher should provide notes for missed lessons. Maybe that has not been your experience. However, it is certainly the case in the school my OH teaches in where the teachers are expected to get the kids back up to speed when they miss lessons. So I can quite confidently say that it actually DOES create more work!
    No, because when you're lying ill with swine flue, you're not going to be up to doing work. On his return it was parents evening. I mentioned how much he struggled with expanding his writing. Teacher said 'oh unfortunately, we covered that the week he was ill. We've moved on to another topic now, so he'll just have to wait for it to roll around again'.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Options
    Spendless wrote: »
    On his return it was parents evening. I mentioned how much he struggled with expanding his writing. Teacher said 'oh unfortunately, we covered that the week he was ill. We've moved on to another topic now, so he'll just have to wait for it to roll around again'.

That's not a good teacher.:(

Children who have been off school because of sickness should always be helped to make up what they've missed.
  • Jagraf
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    That's not a good teacher.:(

Children who have been off school because of sickness should always be helped to make up what they've missed.

Absolutely agree. Spendless did you take this further? This kind of topic isn't something that you move away from its embedded into all learning.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,169 Forumite
    Options
    Jagraf wrote: »
    Absolutely agree. Spendless did you take this further? This kind of topic isn't something that you move away from its embedded into all learning.
    No, I just accepted what I was told. He's my eldest so I wouldn't/didn't know any different. He continued to struggle with expanding writing (and to some extent still does). A year later, I paid for a private tutor for a few lessons to help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure