School Holiday Fines

Options

Comments

• Sportinguista
    Options
    We are taking my son out. My husband is from abroad and this is the only way we can visit that side of the family. My husbands mother is too badly off to afford it and we cannot afford to pay for her and step father in law, my husbands father is ill and cannot travel either. It is also two family occaisions for which relatives from other parts of Europe are coming. Despite this the school have insisted that we could have done this in the school holidays. My son has had 100% attendance for the whole of the three years he has attended school and is doing well. We will pay the fine as it's still cheaper. At least one of the days is an inset day and the other is Eid which if going by last year 95% of school will not be there (we are not muslim but most of the other children are) and they ended up watching DVDs and playing with lego:mad: not happy! They also miss another day for the second Eid celebration in the year, so that's 2 days missed due to someone elses Sky Fairies. He will gain far more from going on holiday, the opportunity to spend time in 2 countries and practice those languages, he will get taught history and archaeology by visiting sites in those countries, his reading and writing as we take note books etc. And I will ask his teacher for notes on what they will be doing.

The problem is other parents are more !!!!less, many in our school take the kids out for months at a time to go to Pakistan to see relatives so all leave is refused now whatever the circumstance.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,650 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We are taking my son out. My husband is from abroad and this is the only way we can visit that side of the family. My husbands mother is too badly off to afford it and we cannot afford to pay for her and step father in law, my husbands father is ill and cannot travel either. It is also two family occaisions for which relatives from other parts of Europe are coming. Despite this the school have insisted that we could have done this in the school holidays. My son has had 100% attendance for the whole of the three years he has attended school and is doing well. We will pay the fine as it's still cheaper. At least one of the days is an inset day and the other is Eid which if going by last year 95% of school will not be there (we are not muslim but most of the other children are) and they ended up watching DVDs and playing with lego:mad: not happy! They also miss another day for the second Eid celebration in the year, so that's 2 days missed due to someone elses Sky Fairies. He will gain far more from going on holiday, the opportunity to spend time in 2 countries and practice those languages, he will get taught history and archaeology by visiting sites in those countries, his reading and writing as we take note books etc. And I will ask his teacher for notes on what they will be doing.

The problem is other parents are more !!!!less, many in our school take the kids out for months at a time to go to Pakistan to see relatives so all leave is refused now whatever the circumstance.

I wonder if they feel the same when they have to take holidays at Christmas and Easter? Most muslims and other religions I know I know embrace all the festivals, invite classmates to their Diwali parties and even send Christmas cards out of politeness and respect.
  • mrs_lala
    Options
    Hi,
    I have a primary age school child , during the 1st, 2 years of schooling we received a school certificate for 100% attendance , no mean feat with all the childhood illnesses lurking about ! However in subsequent years we have received nothing however still maintaining 100% attendance . Therefore NO kudos , NO reward ,NO incentive.
    We are now in year 5 ,and the last 2 school years we have received the final school report 2 weeks prior to finishing the summer term, with GUESS WHAT ? 100% attendance filled in with 2 weeks schooling to go!
    Now what would happen if we went on holiday then , officially we are still there !!
    If school curriculum is finished ,I do not recognise the problem.
    For MANY household budgets ARE too tight but the real culprits are the holiday companies, whom charge YOU a third more for a normally adequate twin room . They shoehorn 3 beds& 3 people into this 2 person space & charge YOU extra for the pleasure while gleefully rubbing their hands at your expense!
    DON'T get me started about the so called "child " holiday prices !
    WE ARE NOT BAD PARENTS.. a family holiday is not a luxury , its about being well balanced with a good quality of life !!
  • Tammykitty
    Tammykitty Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    mrs_lala wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have a primary age school child , during the 1st, 2 years of schooling we received a school certificate for 100% attendance , no mean feat with all the childhood illnesses lurking about ! However in subsequent years we have received nothing however still maintaining 100% attendance . Therefore NO kudos , NO reward ,NO incentive.
    We are now in year 5 ,and the last 2 school years we have received the final school report 2 weeks prior to finishing the summer term, with GUESS WHAT ? 100% attendance filled in with 2 weeks schooling to go!
    Now what would happen if we went on holiday then , officially we are still there !!
    If school curriculum is finished ,I do not recognise the problem.
    For MANY household budgets ARE too tight but the real culprits are the holiday companies, whom charge YOU a third more for a normally adequate twin room . They shoehorn 3 beds& 3 people into this 2 person space & charge YOU extra for the pleasure while gleefully rubbing their hands at your expense!
    DON'T get me started about the so called "child " holiday prices !
    WE ARE NOT BAD PARENTS.. a family holiday is not a luxury , its about being well balanced with a good quality of life !!

A family holiday abroad is definitely a luxury.

Campsites don't put prices up (or at least not my much!)
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    Tammykitty wrote: »

The point is - it shouldn't be a luxury.....
  • joe.feely
    Options
    "200,000 less absences" reported since fines system put in place. Does that mean 200,000 better attendance irrespective of reason? Or does it mean 200,000 less due to unauthorised holidays? Does it mean about 200,000 dishonestly stated reasons for absence?
    It would be "nice" to see a statistically sound analysis of data pertaining to school absences. This would be the only way to "prove" that this law was actually effective (as opposed to, say, just another revenue stream).
    Such an analysis would require very careful data collection, selection, and calculation of statistical significance (a task that would demand the best of statisticians to ensure it is validly set up and executed).
    Merely stating "200,000 less absences" says little and justifies nothing.
  • Tammykitty
    Tammykitty Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    The point is - it shouldn't be a luxury.....

Why should a foreign holiday not be a luxury?

There should be no expectation that a standard family can afford a foreign family holiday - not every year anyway
  • Jagraf
    Jagraf Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options

As a youngster my daughter learned more from camping trips in the UK with guides, youth club and us than any international hols. Her fondest memories are about them too.
    Never again will the wolf get so close to my door :eek:
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    Why should a foreign holiday not be a luxury?

There should be no expectation that a standard family can afford a foreign family holiday - not every year anyway

Because as a society, we are supposed to be at the forefront of economically sufficient lifestyles.

What's a standard family? Can you define?
  • Martok
    Martok Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    One of my work colleagues has a 14 year old child who plays sport at a very high level. Although most league games and competitions are at the weekends they very often have to travel across the country which means missing school on Fridays. This week he has to leave Thursday morning to travel 400 miles to a competition on Friday. The school his child attends is a sports academy and they have no problem giving permission for time off. Although the child doesn’t take a week off at a time when you add up all the days off taken over the year it comes to over three weeks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure