We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Awkward relative present ideas please

Options

Comments

• elisebutt65
    elisebutt65 Posts: 3,854 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    As she bins everything, how about a new waste paper bin?
    Noli nothis permittere te terere
    Bad Mothers Club Member No.665
    [STRIKE]Student MoneySaving Club member 026![/STRIKE] Teacher now and still Moneysaving:D

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DomRavioli wrote: »
    Because I can't have 14 members of my family opening presents and her not opening anything. She went home and cried last time she got nothing - as she requested - and we didn't hear the end of it for two years. I'm not going through that kind of drama again.

She also doesn't do cards - she classes them as tat and bins them, usually without opening them.

If she can't give you a shortlist of what she would like for Christmas, how can she expect you to come up with something for her?

Rather than get caught up in her control games, I think I'd play hardball - get her to give you some ideas or she won't have anything to open again this year.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    My Nan (sadly now passed) reached this point - not thru any awkwardness but simply because she'd had so many birthdays and christmases that she'd got all she wanted.

She came up with her solution - a small box of chocs, and a Boots voucher for a 'sensible' amount (not token but not huge). She explained that she'd be shopping in there during the year, so it wouldn't get wasted.

OP you've mentioned your Nan is picky on the food front - maybe a voucher for where she *will* shop?
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • pandora205
    pandora205 Posts: 2,934 Forumite
    Options
    A calendar with family photos?
    A supermarket card to use for groceries or other purchases?
    A family tree book to fill in together? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Our-Family-Tree-History/dp/0785826734
    somewhere between Heaven and Woolworth's
  • DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My Nan (sadly now passed) reached this point - not thru any awkwardness but simply because she'd had so many birthdays and christmases that she'd got all she wanted.

She came up with her solution - a small box of chocs, and a Boots voucher for a 'sensible' amount (not token but not huge). She explained that she'd be shopping in there during the year, so it wouldn't get wasted.

OP you've mentioned your Nan is picky on the food front - maybe a voucher for where she *will* shop?

Thanks for this - its nice to know that there are people who understand! I think I'll have to get her a tesco voucher so at least she can get what she wants from there.
  • DomRavioli
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    If she can't give you a shortlist of what she would like for Christmas, how can she expect you to come up with something for her?

Rather than get caught up in her control games, I think I'd play hardball - get her to give you some ideas or she won't have anything to open again this year.

You may be a heartless person, but I'm not, so unless you're suggesting something constructive, don't ask me to bring my grandmother to tears.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Would cut flowers come under the heading of "clutter"?
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Options
    She also doesn't do cards - she classes them as tat and bins them, usually without opening them.
    You may be a heartless person, but I'm not, so unless you're suggesting something constructive, don't ask me to bring my grandmother to tears.

I'm far from heartless but I don't like people emotionally manipulating relatives.

Whatever your age, it's very bad manners to do things like throw cards away without any thought for the person who has bought it and very manipulative to give a long list of things you don't want and then expect people to rush around each year trying to find something you might like, only to reject it if you don't like it.

How hard would it be for her to say "I really like those biscuits/that handcream/that magazine"?
  • springdreams
    springdreams Posts: 3,623 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Car Insurance Carver! Home Insurance Hacker! Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Why not ask the uncle that she cares for for suggestions? He may have heard her mention something she would like, or may know what sort of foods she would like so you could do her a mini hamper of edible treats.

Or perhaps a nice throw for putting over her knee on a cold evening with a small tin of "luxury" type biscuits or chocolates.
    squeaky wrote: »
    Smiles are as perfect a gift as hugs...
    ..one size fits all... and nobody minds if you give it back.
    ☆.。.:*・° Housework is so much easier without the clutter ☆.。.:*・°
    SPC No. 518
  • DomRavioli
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    I'm far from heartless but I don't like people emotionally manipulating relatives.

Whatever your age, it's very bad manners to do things like throw cards away without any thought for the person who has bought it and very manipulative to give a long list of things you don't want and then expect people to rush around each year trying to find something you might like, only to reject it if you don't like it.

How hard would it be for her to say "I really like those biscuits/that handcream/that magazine"?

She hasn't given a long list of things she doesn't want - those are things we have tried in the past.

And she's a full time carer at 80 for her 56 year old severely disabled son, she doesn't have time to even think about putting hand cream on, let alone say which one she likes. She spends every day caring for him, she gets no respite from anyone apart from me (we've asked, they won't do it, and say he needs to be in residential care full time).

She has dedicated her life to looking after her son, so doesn't have time for hobbies, friends, a life of her own. Maybe if you actually knew what that felt like (having to constantly check his airway, tube/peg feeding, manual lifting, incontinence to name just a few), then you wouldn't have this !!!!!! attitude.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure