Awkward relative present ideas please

Options
Hi all :)

I must post this every year! I'm struggling with what to get my Nan for christmas. She's 80 this december, so its doubly difficult. There's just me and my partner (no kids), and my present nightmare of a nan.

She doesn't like clutter, so can't get her anything decorative; same goes for crafted things, photos, photo frames (not a single one in her house and thats the way she likes it) or anything she can designate as not necessary, and especially nothing personalised. It would just end up in the bin.

She doesn't wear perfume or make up unless she's going to an occasion, she has a pile of clothes (most of them unworn), doesn't wear jewellery apart from what my grandfather bought her (he's been dead for 28 years). We've exhausted food gifts, she's quite picky on the food front due to health conditions, she doesn't drink either due to medication.

We took her to see Strictly live last year, but she said she doesn't want to go to that or another show again; she doesn't go out much due to her caring role, and doesn't like leaving my uncle with anyone and it is very difficult to get him out of the house, let alone somewhere which could accommodate his needs.

She doesn't really have any hobbies (she's a full time carer for my uncle), she does like doing her Puzzler magazine but i have got her a subscription for her birthday, so that's out. She doesn't like the other puzzle magazines as "they don't look right through her magnifier" so she can't (or won't) read them well and they just end up in the bin. She also likes Manchester City, but she literally has everything city already (she's been a season ticket holder for 54 years, and knows most of the staff and a fair few players).

She's also a complete technophobe, she has a mobile phone but she rarely uses it and its in good condition (took us 8 months for her to get how to make a phone call), and nothing in her house needs replacing or any jobs doing (we go round frequently to do bits and bobs). She also won't go on holiday (we're taking a week long trip to wales to a lovely accessible place with the whole family next year, but this is for my mum's 60th birthday), and doesn't like to travel that much.

I am at a complete loss as to what to get her, yet again. She is an absolute nightmare to buy for, she says she doesn't want anything, but she doesn't want me to waste money on "something stupid like a cow in Africa" (her words, not mine), so can't even donate to a charity for her.

Any ideas would be gratefully received :)

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do they have a garden?
  • stormbreaker
    stormbreaker Posts: 2,289 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Time? Spend some with her in her home? Set aside purely for her pleasure. Play a board game of her choosing, watch a DVDs.

Alternatively set a table and cook her a meal?

Make a few ious so she can choose a time when you can come? And more than once?
  • Janey3
    Janey3 Posts: 417 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I now you've exhausted the food but does she drink Tea? How about a selection of various teas presented in a small Christmas hamper?
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Monthly sub. to a gardening or home and garden magazine.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Do they have a garden?

She doesn't. She has a teeny courtyard but it is paved, no plants (she'd forget about them, we've tried!).
  • DomRavioli
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Time? Spend some with her in her home? Set aside purely for her pleasure. Play a board game of her choosing, watch a DVDs.

Alternatively set a table and cook her a meal?

Make a few ious so she can choose a time when you can come? And more than once?

I go up at least once a week to give her some respite, she wouldn't see it as special, she'd probably have a go at me (she can be cranky).

I also can't cook - that's very much her department. I once set fire to a chicken because I thought that you could microwave them, and did it for the time on the wrapper. Icould burn water lol! Thank you though for replying :)
  • DomRavioli
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »
    Monthly sub. to a gardening or home and garden magazine.

I already have bought her a subscription for her birthday which falls in december (I did put this in the OP).
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DomRavioli wrote: »
    I'm struggling with what to get my Nan for christmas.

she says she doesn't want anything

Why not accept that she actually doesn't want anything?

Buy a nice card and leave it at that.
  • DomRavioli
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Janey3 wrote: »
    I now you've exhausted the food but does she drink Tea? How about a selection of various teas presented in a small Christmas hamper?

She doesn't. Doesn't drink coffee either. She is literally a nightmare.
  • DomRavioli
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Why not accept that she actually doesn't want anything?

Buy a nice card and leave it at that.

Because I can't have 14 members of my family opening presents and her not opening anything. She went home and cried last time she got nothing - as she requested - and we didn't hear the end of it for two years. I'm not going through that kind of drama again.

She also doesn't do cards - she classes them as tat and bins them, usually without opening them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure