Which Fibre BB Sky or BT?

Pondering taking fibre BB, have BT line rental, sky non fibre BB, need a nudge which way to go, advantage BT with a £100 sainsburys gift voucher, but even though on a long line with sky 2.7mb download speed, its been quite good and reliable.

Any comments if your happy or unhappy with your BT or SKY fibre.
:T

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Same fibre broadband from the exchange , Sky buy it wholesale from BT

Sky's own network from the exchange normally
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • roxy28
    roxy28 Posts: 670 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Browntoa wrote: »
    Same fibre broadband from the exchange , Sky buy it wholesale from BT

Sky's own network from the exchange normally

Right ok, want to go with the same provider for both LR/BB, still have BT advanced line rental saver, 2 months left on 12 months contract ( thought it was one month ).
    I want to start both on the same dates, so its easier to transfer in future if needed, but will have to ask BT if i can forgo the last 2 months and start afresh if i go with BT.
    Any feedback on BT fibre BB customer support?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Same fibre Sky will contact BT Open reach for faults as will BT .
  • roxy28
    First Anniversary
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Same fibre Sky will contact BT Open reach for faults as will BT .

Thanks.

Just need to see if i can get BT to activate the 2 services together if they can, maybe they will insist on the line rental saver running its full term.
  • rusty_f
    rusty_f Posts: 119 Forumite
    Yes, same fibre, but not really the same experience. From the cabinet to the exchange the experience is the same, but once the service is handed over from the exchange to the ISP network the experience is variable.

Sky had big issues at some bigger exchanges with capacity - this resulted in slower speeds vs BT Wholesale because the Sky 1Gb Ethernet cable handover was overloaded with fibre customers. They had to order additional cables to cope with traffic.

In my experience fibre speeds will depend on the exchange you are connected to and the capacity planning of the ISP. I can't give you specific experience for your exchange - you will need to ask your neighbours for their experiences as they will give you the best indication of your speeds etc.
  • rusty_f wrote: »
    Yes, same fibre, but not really the same experience. From the cabinet to the exchange the experience is the same, but once the service is handed over from the exchange to the ISP network the experience is variable.

Sky had big issues at some bigger exchanges with capacity - this resulted in slower speeds vs BT Wholesale because the Sky 1Gb Ethernet cable handover was overloaded with fibre customers. They had to order additional cables to cope with traffic.

In my experience fibre speeds will depend on the exchange you are connected to and the capacity planning of the ISP. I can't give you specific experience for your exchange - you will need to ask your neighbours for their experiences as they will give you the best indication of your speeds etc.

BT wholesale have a policy of ensuring their backhaul network is not the point of contention in any connection. According to a source I trust, they are pretty good and achieving this (they are pretty bad at plenty of other things though).
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • rusty_f
    rusty_f Posts: 119 Forumite
    BT wholesale have a policy of ensuring their backhaul network is not the point of contention in any connection. According to a source I trust, they are pretty good and achieving this (they are pretty bad at plenty of other things though).

Sky and Talk Talk don't use BT Wholesale backhaul though. They are completely independent from exchange handover.
  • roxy28
    First Anniversary
    edited 1 November 2015 at 3:11PM
    rusty_f wrote: »

Not close to many neighbours so it would just be pot luck with choice. Sky fibre has only just been enabled 4 weeks ago for our street cabinet, it has been enabled at the exchange for a while though i believe. Would the sky problem be exchange wide or individual cabinets?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If FTTC has become available on your street cab, then it should be available from Sky, TT, Plusnet and BT all at the same time, since they are all BT Wholesale services, as mentioned above. If there is a Sky issue, it will be at the exchange. At the cab, it's more black and white: if it's FTTC enabled, and there is capacity, you can have FTTC.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I think it's pot luck who you choose unless you can share experiences with someone local to you. If you have used Sky's CS and been happy with them, you'd probably be as well sticking with Sky.

I went back to BT after a long time away to try their fibre connection and been very pleased with it. But it's dependant on your exchange, capacity etc like rusty_f explained. Also, I've never had to contact BT CS for anything yet (and they were one of the reasons I moved away from them when I was on their standard broadband years ago).

I think it's just a case of you choosing one, and knowing you have a year or 18-months with them and then you can move again if you've not been happy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure