Leaving Talk Talk...

For obvious reasons, I've had enough of Talk Talk. However, we still have about nine months of the value line rental on our account. Is it possible to keep this line rental with Talk Talk and just get a broadband only deal with someone like EE?

This is what Talk Talk's website says. I like the second statement, but not the first! Do I get to pick which one I go with?!

'The one-off Value Line Rental charge is non-refundable, so if you decide to cancel it we won't be able to offer you a credit or refund for any unused value line rental.

If you're leaving TalkTalk, we'll apply a credit for any unused value line rental to your final bill.'

Comments

• joe134
    joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    edited 29 October 2015 at 9:05AM
    David333 wrote: »
    For obvious reasons, I've had enough of Talk Talk. However, we still have about nine months of the value line rental on our account. Is it possible to keep this line rental with Talk Talk and just get a broadband only deal with someone like EE?

This is what Talk Talk's website says. I like the second statement, but not the first! Do I get to pick which one I go with?!

'The one-off Value Line Rental charge is non-refundable, so if you decide to cancel it we won't be able to offer you a credit or refund for any unused value line rental.

If you're leaving TalkTalk, we'll apply a credit for any unused value line rental to your final bill.'
    You need LR to get BB, so just migrate,IF TT let you go with out a penalty for BB.Doubt it, ;
    LR is seperate to BB packages,both seperate contracts .It's your BB that's the bind, not LR.
    Why did you sign up to TT, knowing their track record?3 months ago.
    Which I've only found to be good.
    Did you not do any research?
  • joe134 wrote: »
    You need LR to get BB, so just migrate,IF TT let you go with out a penalty for BB.Doubt it, ;
    LR is seperate to BB packages,both seperate contracts .It's your BB that's the bind, not LR.
    Why did you sign up to TT, knowing their track record?3 months ago.
    Which I've only found to be good.
    Did you not do any research?

People get lured in by their low prices, then find out how terrible they are shortly afterwards.
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warm feeling that it brings
  • melb01
    melb01 Posts: 36 Forumite
    TT did offer a refund on the unused bit of the value rental last month. That was when they offered penalty free cancellations because of the October price rises.

If I knew then what I know now about TT's free and easy approach to holding my data, then I would have took the cancellation offer myself.

At the moment, I'm looking at the Daily Mail's letter option, but, frankly, I'd like to see evidence of success before I push the button. Don't like to be a pioneer - you get the arrows in your back! :)
  • David333
    David333 Posts: 712 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Inertia. Their service has been cheap, and the Internet is okay. I was willing to put up with the awful customer service for that, but in the last six months the cost has trebled and the data loss is the final nail in the coffin for Talk Talk for me. I also hadn't realised how cheap fibre is nowadays (and the fact that it's fairly recently become available at my property).

If I read Talk Talk's terms and conditions properly, if I migrate to somewhere (tempted by Sky Broadband now - £10 a month for Internet for the year's contract), then they will refund me the unused line rental. As I have had the same broadband package for over two years, I assume that after the initial minimum term it's on a rolling monthly basis, so I won't lose any money that way.
  • David333
    melb01 wrote: »
    TT did offer a refund on the unused bit of the value rental last month. That was when they offered penalty free cancellations because of the October price rises.

If I knew then what I know now about TT's free and easy approach to holding my data, then I would have took the cancellation offer myself.

At the moment, I'm looking at the Daily Mail's letter option, but, frankly, I'd like to see evidence of success before I push the button. Don't like to be a pioneer - you get the arrows in your back! :)

Thanks. I've been on their live chat, and they claim that I am out of contract for broadband so there is no termination fee. And that I will receive a credit for the nine months remaining of Value Line Rental on my final bill. Great customer service ;-)
  • ricardinho88
    ricardinho88 Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 October 2015 at 10:36AM
    Thanks. I've been on their live chat, and they claim that I am out of contract for broadband so there is no termination fee. And that I will receive a credit for the nine months remaining of Value Line Rental on my final bill. Great customer service ;-)

Whatever you do, don't get your hopes up. Their customer service staff are quite reknowned for telling lies, so don't be suprised if you have to chase any refund for months.
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warm feeling that it brings
  • David333
    I have a copy of the transcript (one of the good things about online chats as opposed to the phone), and it does match up with what their website seems to suggest...

Now worried my Internet service is going to deteriorate if I leave Talk Talk!
  • joe134
    edited 29 October 2015 at 10:29AM
    People get lured in by their low prices, then find out how terrible they are shortly afterwards.
    TT have had a bad reputation for years, but, I've been with them 15 years, and have no complaints.
    They have had the wooden spoon for C/s for years with the papers.et.al
    Price rises, are par for the course, with all ISP's.
    I posted yesterday that over the last 4 years , TT have increased their prices the least, 11 %,
    Speak as you find.
  • joe134
    How did you get Chat, online?
    Mines still unavailable.?
    Glad you are sorted.
  • David333
    joe134 wrote: »
    TT have had a bad reputation for years, but, I've been with them 15 years, and have no complaints.
    They have had the wooden spoon for C/s for years with the papers.et.al
    Price rises, are par for the course, with all ISP's.
    I posted yesterday that over the last 4 years , TT have increased their prices the least, 11 %,
    Speak as you find.

We had three weeks without Internet last year (an Openreach problem, but it was impossible to get them to contact BT. Every time I phoned, I had to go through half an hour of diagnostics, plugging router into the test socket, etc), so I can add my name to those who complain about the customer service. It wasn't so much the lack of Internet, but the fact that it was so difficult to get them to do something about it.

However, when the Internet works, it works well. And it's cheap. But now that fibre (up to 35mbps, as opposed to Talk Talk's up to 17mbps) is only 55p more expensive a month, including line rental, then it seems strange to stay with them...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure