Quit everything , and start again over 50?

Options

Comments

• harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    EdwardB wrote: »
    OK here is my take.

The BIGGEST mistake I ever made was selling my home in London, no infact that was not the biggest, because I did at least trade up to a 4 bed detached. The biggest mistake was selling that and going into rental market because I thought prices were going to crash.

Edward you have responded to post 1 in a thread of over 4150 posts which started late 2015, so things have moved a lot further!

May I respectfully suggest you take a week or so to read through the thread before commenting further...
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi AC, payment to solicitor - this is the beginning of the end, or the end of the beginning (of your new life). Is the survey this week - I can't remember?

Re landlady and rug-gate. I said before that you don't actually have to have the rug down. Roll it up and stash it behind sofa or in spare room (if there is one). If you think she will be offended tell her you worry about tripping up as your illness is affecting your eyesight/balance. Not entirely untrue.

Lovely day here - very bright but oh so cold in the wind. The walk to craft club (all 5 minutes of it) woke me up as I had a bit of a nothing weekend. The cat is still causing concern as he seems unable to eat although seems hungry. His mouth was healing well after his op. between Xmas and NY, and he was scoffing for England but doesn't seem quite right to me in the last day or so. Will watch him for a couple of days then probably another very expensive trip to the vet. Thank goodness I have savings.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    dreaming wrote: »
    Hi AC, payment to solicitor - this is the beginning of the end, or the end of the beginning (of your new life). Is the survey this week - I can't remember?

Re landlady and rug-gate. I said before that you don't actually have to have the rug down. Roll it up and stash it behind sofa or in spare room (if there is one). If you think she will be offended tell her you worry about tripping up as your illness is affecting your eyesight/balance. Not entirely untrue.

Lovely day here - very bright but oh so cold in the wind. The walk to craft club (all 5 minutes of it) woke me up as I had a bit of a nothing weekend. The cat is still causing concern as he seems unable to eat although seems hungry. His mouth was healing well after his op. between Xmas and NY, and he was scoffing for England but doesn't seem quite right to me in the last day or so. Will watch him for a couple of days then probably another very expensive trip to the vet. Thank goodness I have savings.

Hope the cats gets well soon . Survey tomorrow . Everything seems to be going quick regarding the flat . I'll what the landlady says as and when .
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Rug gate : rolled it up,( more folded than rolled;)), and put it into spare room. Looks nice, but a pita, so off it goes.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    .. and the rug gate continues : just got a text asking if I've measured the hallway . I just replied , giving approximate measurements .
    I then told her the rug is in the spare room, and that I don't really want another one in the hallway.
    Obviously no news regarding the potential purchase of flat .
    I'm still tired/ breathless at times . Sleep pattern will of course be out the window for the time being .
    On Monday I was on a train for the first time since I moved .
    To..wnchester ! I did stuff I potentially shouldn't do . Against what I'm told etc., but I had my reasons .
  • Karonher
    Karonher Posts: 916 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    To..wnchester ! I did stuff I potentially shouldn't do. Against what I'm told etc., but I had my reasons.

I love Winchester - but what did you do?????
    Aiming to make £7,500 online in 2022
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Karonher wrote: »
    To..wnchester ! I did stuff I potentially shouldn't do. Against what I'm told etc., but I had my reasons.

I love Winchester - but what did you do?????

Bought a Bass guitar !:)
    Now before anyone jumps ( and you will), you need to hear me out.
    1) last Feb I sold my most prized possession .. a very rare fender bass which has been discontinued about 35-40 years ago. This, plus rare tour programmes / very rare vinyl . I was hugely up against it.
    I always said that , when I got straight I would buy an expensive equivalent . To hell with it . However ...
    2) not as reckless as it seems . The bass I purchased was from a guy who makes basses. Long story , but this bass is a custom bass .
    Much lighter and portable than a fender. Easily could just jump on a bus/train . As I don't drive, it is ideal.
    It cost less than half what I got for the sale of the fender.
    3) a few years back , I got a fairly rare acoustic bass on fleabay.
    Bright yellow and checkered like an American taxi.
    However, as I bought it as an ornament ( I used to have it hanging on the wall), that is very heavy and bulky, I've decided I'm gonna sell,it .

So, basically imho I'm not going ott , but being more practical.
    I'll miss the big yellow bass, but I've got enough basses now and that
    one I just got in Winchester is it. If I want,anything else , then one has to make way for it .
    I chucked probably,too much stuff out when I moved on that horrid day. It means I'm gonna be a lot more tidy and responsible in future.
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi AC - was hoping to hear news of your survey but I suppose it is a bit quick.

I shan't "jump" at you buying a bass - it is your life after all, and to be honest I have bought the odd expensive, "frivolous" thing. Plus I haven't got the energy for jumping. Not sure why but I have felt really tired for the last few days - not ill, just really shattered. So have been having a quiet day scanning photos and tidying up my laptop files. In the suitcase of "stuff" that lives under the bed I came across my kids' school reports (eldest is 37, youngest is 35) so should be good for a giggle. Need to sort out memory boxes for them both so I can streamline things a bit.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    dreaming wrote: »
    Hi AC - was hoping to hear news of your survey but I suppose it is a bit quick.

I shan't "jump" at you buying a bass - it is your life after all, and to be honest I have bought the odd expensive, "frivolous" thing. Plus I haven't got the energy for jumping. Not sure why but I have felt really tired for the last few days - not ill, just really shattered. So have been having a quiet day scanning photos and tidying up my laptop files. In the suitcase of "stuff" that lives under the bed I came across my kids' school reports (eldest is 37, youngest is 35) so should be good for a giggle. Need to sort out memory boxes for them both so I can streamline things a bit.

Thanks dreaming :)
    Hope you feel less run down soon . Maybe , it's part of your withdrawal symptoms of no fizzy drinks ?
    I've been up and down regarding food and drink binges.
    It has caused me to look at my condition in greater detail . Prednisolone : although it is evil, it must be good as I have improved from when I was really bad. However, side effects mean I've been on binges etc. Still haven't done any proper excercise yet , and walking hasn't been done properly due to the inconsistent rain :)
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Speaking of jumping and excercise , and of course my condition , if I get this flat then I wil have to make a few purchases to make the perfect flat for me .
    While I have to get things like blinds/ curtains / net curtains etcetc. ( don't want nets but have to have them for privacy ) I have thought of other things. Wood flooring . Means I won't have to think about carpet in the future .
    The other thing is regarding my health : a cross trainer. A proper heavy duty one, costing a few hundred but not thousands .
    I may give the Pilates machine away , and just use that daily .

Landlady just sent a polite text . She won't bring the rug down .
    The flat that she enquirer about won't be for sale till the summer now.
    £210,000. Of course if I offered £200 ,000 I would've got it .
    I didn't mention about the flat which I'm hopefully buying at the moment
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport