Quit everything , and start again over 50?

Options

Comments

• wendym
    wendym Posts: 2,945 Forumite
    Options
    It IS a 6 month sabbatical.

Seriously cool, and enviable.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    wendym wrote: »
    It IS a 6 month sabbatical.

Seriously cool, and enviable.

Thanks Wendy :)
    Bizarrely , I lost the pages, and I found your advice which you previously suggested a while back :)
    Thanks.
  • wendym
    Options
    How could you resist the thoughts of a woman who found the missing keys in a peg bag?
  • another_casualty
    another_casualty Posts: 6,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 October 2016 at 12:13PM
    Options
    True :)
    I'm just looking at availability of some flats I like .Some aren't available till December . Others are available on my supposed date of completion .
    Regarding the b&b option : I would have to be out for long periods of the day , so it may not be a good idea .
    The best solution it seems ,is to try and find cash for short term and move straight into a place .
    I know it's expensive , but I saw a 2 or was it 3 bed cottage for £1100pm.
    Ideal location for me / bags of room etc.
    1 thing that does cross my mind workwise : I have almost a months holiday to take,which of course I cannot . So , handy cash at end of November .

Just wondering when is the best time to ask payplan for settlement .
    Can't be done obviously until after exchange .
    The jury's out regarding the leather furniture . I know it's down to myself at the end of the day , but it looks like it's best keep and get reupholstered.
    I know it's probably expensive , but if the furniture may not be used and standing against a wall , the job could be done and I'm familiar with it.Plus the build quality is good . We'll see:)
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    AC. You can revamp and resfore leather yourself. It's a doddle, just a bit time consuming and you will have plenty of time to do it.

Just google. There are lots of online tutorials. You can get repair kits for tears, special colour restorers which cover scratches etc. You can even dye leather a different colour. DIY. It would probably cost you less than £50.

It will cost you an arm and a leg to have it professionally upholstered, it would be cheaper to buy new. So unless it was a valuable antique or family heirloom it's just not worth it.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,614 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    True :)
    I'm just looking at availability of some flats I like .Some aren't available till December . Others are available on my supposed date of completion .
    Regarding the b&b option : I would have to be out for long periods of the day , so it may not be a good idea . Cheap hotel then? You will surely be out looking for places to rent and it should only be a few days. As it is out of season you should have no problem finding somewhere for a week until the money is sorted and your rental finalised.
    The best solution it seems ,is to try and find cash for short term and move straight into a place .
    I know it's expensive , but I saw a 2 or was it 3 bed cottage for £1100pm.You need to make sure you don't go too far into your capital or that may affect the price of your home you eventually buy. Could take a few months to sort that out if you end up in a chain
    Ideal location for me / bags of room etc.
    1 thing that does cross my mind workwise : I have almost a months holiday to take,which of course I cannot . So , handy cash at end of November .

Just wondering when is the best time to ask payplan for settlement .
    Can't be done obviously until after exchange .
    The jury's out regarding the leather furniture . I know it's down to myself at the end of the day , but it looks like it's best keep and get reupholstered.
    I know it's probably expensive , but if the furniture may not be used and standing against a wall , the job could be done and I'm familiar with it.Plus the build quality is good . We'll see:)

Lots for you to think about AC but I would not worry about the leather furniture for now. If it has done you for a few years it can last you for a few more months until you have the time to sort it out. Again I would think payplan can wait for a few months until you have the money in your bank. Try to take one step at a time. Bear in mind the flats you are looking to rent will only be temporary (6 months probably) so it does not have to be perfect, just meet most of your needs for the short term.

My elder daughter is also spending the weekend packing. Just emptied the loft apparently. She starts her new job next week just as my husband retires from his job after 35 years.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    AC. I tend to think a cheap and nasty B&B would be pretty miserable.

Mid November is off peak season, you should be able to get a nice hotel. I'm sure there will be some good deals. No chucking you out of your room. Many will have pools, saunas etc. Perfect for you to relax after a days flat viewing.

Realistically it will be December before you can move into your flat. It takes a couple of weeks minimum for the agents to get organised.
  • wendym
    Options
    Some random thoughts:

I recently had a leather chair repaired and partly recovered. It was worth doing because of its lumbar support and the gap it has to fit in, but the cost was silly. Hang on to your furniture for now.

About the removal. If you could find a company based in Poole that offers storage, it would eliminate quite a lot of faffing. No need to coordinate anything.

And I am with LL re the bedsit. You will be feeling a bit beekled* and a cheap bedsit in November probably wouldn't lift the spirits.

*word invented by daughter when small, and much used here.
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 30 October 2016 at 9:57PM
    Options
    AC. I tend to think a cheap and nasty B&B would be pretty miserable.

Mid November is off peak season, you should be able to get a nice hotel. I'm sure there will be some good deals. No chucking you out of your room. Many will have pools, saunas etc. Perfect for you to relax after a days flat viewing.

Realistically it will be December before you can move into your flat. It takes a couple of weeks minimum for the agents to get organised.

Yep, I know I've said this already but Booking.com is a real help.

For example currently available in Bournemouth, seven nights room only at the Brittania from 18/11, £288 for a double and cancellable free of charge up to midday on the first day.

If you booked the hotel as soon as you've exchanged in blocks of 4x7 days (or more than 4 blocks if you wish) you've covered nearly a month at no more cost than rental, easy to cancel when things are clearer regarding a rental.

Same with moving, said it before, using a remover that offers storage, be it in London or Poole/Bournemouth, would save you all the hassle for not too much money, and even if your friend of a friend did the move it could still be to a storage facility.

Both are techniques I've used over the years to make buying/selling and moving into the new place much easier. One time I was technically homeless for two weeks between selling and my new build being completed fit to just place furniture and relax.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Thanks folks.
    Just received an email from simply removals , congratulating me on my new home and thanking me for using simply removals.
    They are the ones who keep pestering me on the phone.
    Won't be using them
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport