We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

How open are you about your debts?

Options

Comments

• chester81
    Options
    Puzzcat wrote: »
    Just me, myself and I...and all of mse of course! I am happy to talk about debt and ways to help sort it but only I know about the level of mine...My partner knows I have debt and am paying it off but not the amount. Maybe when it is paid off I will enlighten my loved one's..

Up until recently I didn't even know how much I owed let alone anyone else!!!
  • Ellieseleven
    Ellieseleven Posts: 2,118 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Just myself and my OH. My parents are elderly and I wouldn't want them to worry x
  • Muhren
    Muhren Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Only my parents know the exact amount as they bailed me out and it is them that I am paying the money back to. My friends all know that I am in debt, as I told them about my gambling problem, plus the fact that I had to move back in with my folks made it pretty obvious anyway.

A couple of friends have asked me how much debt I am in but I haven't told them. When I have been drunk I have let slip how much money I wasted gambling but that isn't the amount I am in debt, it is infact more. So I'm not sure if they think that is actually how much debt I started with or not.
    LBM: Dec 2012 - Debt £38,180/ Now £0.
    DFD - 17/04/2016
    Gambling: The sure way of getting nothing from something.

• HaydenB
    HaydenB Posts: 157 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Been in a DMP since 2010 and only my other half, who I have been with for just short of two years, knows about it.

My parents (most specifically my dad) would be very disappointed if he knew that a) I had got myself into so much debt and b) not asked him for help.
  • LJB290
    LJB290 Posts: 106 Forumite
    Options
    My in law's know about our debt (mother, brother and sister in law) and also our children.
    We don't talk openly about our debts with anyone else but do let people know that we are doing as much as possible save money. We find this helps when explaining that we can't go out for dinner as much as we would like etc.

There is no way I could tell my own parents or siblings - there would be absolutely no level of understanding or empathy and we would be judged in a terrible way - so we keep it to ourselves.

Its the same with what we earn - we don't tell people openly what our salary is, so we don't tell people what our debt level is. We don't want people to worry and we don't want anyone to "bail us out" (even though the offer has been made). We got ourselves into the situation and we will get ourselves out.
  • Brightspark87
    Options
    I had to be really open about my debts for work and therefore quite a few people know! But I would never tell my mum or dad. They would be very cross with me. However DH has an idea! x

Paid off all Catalogues 10.10.2014
  • Stewart_78
    Options
    I don't think anyone knows the true extent, certainly not my parents. Anyway, I feel we finally have it under control and have stopped being idiots with money so the future is bright. Every day of every week of every year we are a little less in debt and I'm happy with that. Concentrating on the mortgage at the moment, the unsecured stuff can wait.
  • whattodo1967
    Options
    Only myself my husband and stepchange know about our Debt. My husband didn't know the extent in the beginning. Still quite ashamed of it, but both fully on board with our DMP now and making good progress so far, 2 debts cleared only 9 more to go.
    LBM April 2012, started Dmp with Stepchange June 2012 £47k:eek: Proud to finally be dealing with our debts:)
    Nov 18 3 more payments to DFD
    Dec 18 2 more payments to DFD
    Jan 19 1 more payment to DFD
    Feb 19 Last Payment now debt free :)
  • wishus
    wishus Posts: 1,212 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Well, all my debt was entailed with OH's full knowledge - and need. And he knows I'm managing with paying it off.

The only trouble is I know he has cc debt and I don't know how much. He was spending crazily because of his depression earlier this year, after we had 'sorted' budgets. I need to know soon, because he may be out of a job shortly, and I need to know how we are situated to plan in a strategy.

I think he will be fine disclosing, just picking the time as he is not well again.

My previous partner also had mental health issues that affected his spending, but the problem was his taking out secret loans in companies for which I had previously countersigned, and they didn't need me to countersign for subsequent loans, apparently, so I was liable for them.

Horrible thing to admit, debt, but it's a mistake to hide it from your partner.
    Home improvement payments £16.6K to go

June Grocery Challenge: £227.58/250

Decluttering 1244/2024 Awards 🥇
    (15/06/24)
  • Puddylove
    Puddylove Posts: 507 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My debts aren't a secret, but nor is it that important.
    My mum knows, my partner too. Can't remember if I've told any friends.

Probably more people know about my debt level (about £6k) than my earnings...
    P x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family