Can't switch supplier as national database incorrect??

Options

Comments

• Tahlullah.H
    Tahlullah.H Posts: 1,227 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    BugMeNot1 said:
    But you have managed it at some point in the past?  Any idea of how?  Everyone keeps saying they cant get involved due to GDPR. 
    What I do not give, you must never take by force.
    Mortgage outstanding - 30/12/22 - £25,900. 31/01/23 - £22,300. 28/02/23 - £20,500. 31/03/23 - £17,500. 30/04/23 - £15,800. 30/05/23 - £13,800. 31/06/23 - £11,300. 31/07/23 - £9,800. 31/08/23 - £8,300. 30/09/23 - £6,000. 31/10/23 - £3,000. 30/11/23 - £1,200. 06/12/23 - £00.00
    God save us everyone, As we burn inside the fire of a thousand suns, For the sins of our hands, The sins of our tongues, The sins of our fathers, The sins of our young.
    Linkin Park
  • Jane21956
    Options
    We are currently with SSE trying to switch to Utility Point.  The Electricity has gone over no problem but the gas cannot as it appears on the national database with the incorrect postcode.  The house was built 16 years ago and we are the third owners so I am surprised this has not happened before. SSE are ignoring my emails to them to sort this out. Any ideas?
  • Tahlullah.H
    Tahlullah.H Posts: 1,227 Forumite
    Options
    To be fair, SSE haven't ignored my emails.  I would say they have been positively engaged, but feel they are unable to tell the other property owner or supplier what to do. I am the 3rd owner also, but SSE explained that everyone just stayed with the supplier who was originally in place and I am the first one to try to switch.   It could be the same at your house.   Apathy protected the previous householders.
    What I do not give, you must never take by force.
    Mortgage outstanding - 30/12/22 - £25,900. 31/01/23 - £22,300. 28/02/23 - £20,500. 31/03/23 - £17,500. 30/04/23 - £15,800. 30/05/23 - £13,800. 31/06/23 - £11,300. 31/07/23 - £9,800. 31/08/23 - £8,300. 30/09/23 - £6,000. 31/10/23 - £3,000. 30/11/23 - £1,200. 06/12/23 - £00.00
    God save us everyone, As we burn inside the fire of a thousand suns, For the sins of our hands, The sins of our tongues, The sins of our fathers, The sins of our young.
    Linkin Park
  • Queenie_uk
    Options
    Hello.  Are there any EDF reps on here?
    There's a meter mismatch on the ECOES database which is preventing me from switching suppliers.  EDF are the current energy provider and are the only ones that can action that change.  EDF's covid working arrangements prevent them from visiting my property to cross-check the meter serial number and MPAN.  I will not be at the property for some weeks and I know no-one in that area that I can give access to the property. Until there is photographic evidence of the correct serial no/MPAN, the ECOES database cannot be changed and I must remain on the EDF standard tariff.
    I am being unfairly financially penalised by EDF's inability/unwillingness to send an engineer to read the external meter.

Any suggestions for what I can do next?
    Thanks
  • rp1974
    rp1974 Posts: 739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    If your not in the property then usage should be minimal.Whats the access problem if the meter is external?.How long have you known about the serial number/MPAN mismatch?.Only thing I can think of is to arrange a visit when you are there,sort out the unfairness at a future point.Lastly whilst I can understand your frustration,covid issues are rather more important at present in the great scheme of things surely,no?.
  • john-blackford
    Options
    I have switched from avro energy to utility Point via look after my bills this is not the first time they have switched me however this time my gas was not switched I have contacted utility point and they are telling me they can't switch me because the information on the database doesn't match (never a problem before)
    How did this happen and how do i sort it
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 16 April 2021 at 11:26AM
    Options
    I have switched from avro energy to utility Point via look after my bills this is not the first time they have switched me however this time my gas was not switched I have contacted utility point and they are telling me they can't switch me because the information on the database doesn't match (never a problem before)
    How did this happen and how do i sort it
    You need to speak to your present supplier and ask them to send you a screenshot of the Database listing. For gas, this should show your MPRN; Meter Serial Number and postal address. You should then be able to see what, if anything, is wrong. All database errors have to be dealt with by your present supplier. Things that go wrong include the use of a plot number rather than house number; an incorrect postcode or two similar addresses in the same postcode; for example, I live at xx The Oaks, and a neighbour in the next street (same postcode) has called her property 'The Oaks'. It is also possible that UP attempted to takeover the wrong supply; eg, they used an incorrect MPRN. The MPRN is shown on your Avro monthly statement as is the meter serial number, You can check the meter serial number by looking at the actual meter.
  • Lallyrs
    Lallyrs Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    OVO is using this excuse to block me switching. I have no outstanding balance and its a small domestic account, but they have given an eyewatering reading to the national database which is blocking Green taking it over. Green cant do anything and OVO have ignored all of my requests to correct the reading. When I call them they conform that its a domestic account and a significantly lower reading. It seems that I have to wait eight weeks before I can complain to OFGEM and all this time I am paying a much higher rate!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Lallyrs said:
    OVO is using this excuse to block me switching. I have no outstanding balance and its a small domestic account, but they have given an eyewatering reading to the national database which is blocking Green taking it over. Green cant do anything and OVO have ignored all of my requests to correct the reading. When I call them they conform that its a domestic account and a significantly lower reading. It seems that I have to wait eight weeks before I can complain to OFGEM and all this time I am paying a much higher rate!
    Ofgem does not take on individual consumer complaints. Complaint escalation is handled by Ombudsman Services of which The Energy Ombudsman is a part. Their ‘investigation’ will take up to 8 weeks and IF the supplier is required to take action, it has 4 weeks to comply. Ask Ovo if they will agree to Deadlock: if they do, you can refer the complaint to The Energy Ombudsman immediately.

Some advice, if I may. The Energy Ombudsman does not carry out an investigation: it just reviews the evidence that you and the supplier provide and it tries to come up with a fair way forward.  It follows that you need to provide as much evidence as you can in support of your case. Decisions can, and do, go against the complainant. 
  • Lallyrs
    Lallyrs Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So how do I get OVO to release me, they wont do anything when I call them and have ignored emails?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback