Options

Comments

• Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 5 October 2015 at 4:59PM
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    I'm one of those who will increase bag use as a result of the legislation as I've always reused my free bags as bin liners and now I'll be buying single use bin liners.

I'll continue taking my reusable bags and just pay for a roll of bin liners.
    Why will using bin liners instead of free bags increase the amount of bags you use?. The only difference is the cost of your bin liner.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Apparently the government are offering counselling to people struggling to adapt to this change.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Why will using bin liners instead of free bags increase the amount of bags you use?. The only difference is the cost of your bin liner.

The bin liners will equal the amount of plastic that was previously coming from the single use carrier bags.

The additional waste comes from the bags for life, which need replacing regularly.
  • Nick_C
    Options
    ziggycj wrote: »
    Are you allowed to Gift Aid this? Technically it is a charity donation so the charity should be able to reclaim the tax for it...

No. Its not a charity donation. It's a charge for a bag. 5p, including VAT of 0.83p. Roughly 4p profit after paying for admin costs which the retailers can give to charity if they want to. But they don't have to. Even where the retailers give the money to "good causes", those good causes will not necessarily be charities.

I imagine if the retailers give the money to charity, they can offset this against profits and corporation tax.
  • Consumer40
    Options
    20aday wrote: »
    I don't mind using a "Bag for Life" in places like Tesco as I get Clubcard points for reusing.

Not any more it would seem. I was told that Tesco have abolished clubcard points for re-using because an incentive is no longer needed.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Costco has never given bags. They do leave the cartons in a pile if you want them, which reduces waste disposal for them.

Since I am fully prepared, I have some bags in the car just in case,
    but most of the time it's unnecessary. When we buy fizzy drinks, it's by the crate, and satsumas come in a net anyway. The five litre Filippo Berio olive oil bottle has a handle built-in. I have an Igloo cold box for all the cold stuff.

Push the trolley to the boot, then out of the boot into the garage.

Igloo cold box to the freezer. Many years ago, I fretted over ice cream, not any more.

Before the blue bin and brown bin, we needed a bag for wet stuff, like tea bags, left over food and fruit peels, but now the general bin only has dry rubbish, so I can just tip it into the grey bin, no need for a liner.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ziggycj wrote: »
    Are you allowed to Gift Aid this? Technically it is a charity donation so the charity should be able to reclaim the tax for it...

The trouble is that you pay the supermarket for the bag, and they donate the money to charity. After paying the government the VAT on the 5p charge.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    A lot of the nonsense spouted about in not having access to free bag is in my opinion to be blamed on the shops themselves.

They led everybody into the free bag mentality.

I recently went shopping in my local town and was offered 9 bags at 9 shops without being asked if I wanted one.

I refused the bag at all of them bar one shop.

I am 100% behind the charge.

How hard is it to not carry at least one bag around in your handbag or man bag for the moment you need one?
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was very surprised on how many customers bought their own bags.

During the seven hours of serving customers, only about 1 in 9 customers bought a 5p bag. Out of these, 3 out of 4 were men on their own! Says something about men......

About another 70% put their shopping in a bag they had. The rest carried the couple of things in their hands.
  • Nick_C
    Options
    I was very surprised on how many customers bought their own bags.

During the seven hours of serving customers, only about 1 in 9 customers bought a 5p bag. Out of these, 3 out of 4 were men on their own! Says something about men......

About another 70% put their shopping in a bag they had. The rest carried the couple of things in their hands.

It says men don't carry handbags. Perhaps you hadn't noticed this before?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure