PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Whats better ... 4 bed + small bathroom or 3 bed + big bathroom ?

Options
As title.

What would you prefer when looking at a house ?

A 4 bedroom with a bathroom that is only 4 foot 7 inches wide or a 3 bed with a much bigger bathroom ?

Our house was originally a 2 bed and as such has a bathroom sized for a two bed.

When they did the extension they didn't extend the bathroom which I feel is a bit of an oversight.

We are thinking of moving the bathroom into the smallest bedroom which is 8foot 2 by 9 foot 3 and then changing the current bathroom into a study.

What do you think ?

Any pitfalls ?

Comments

• Dan-Dan
    Dan-Dan Posts: 5,272 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    How big is the 4th bedroom ?
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
  • bikingbarney
    Options
    Dan-Dan wrote: »
    How big is the 4th bedroom ?

As said its 8 foot 2 by 9 foot 3
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    Options
    What would the advantage of a bigger bathroom be? You only tend to have one person in the bathroom at any one time, unless you're bathing kids. I'd have thought that in a 4 bed house, a second bathroom would be better.
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Are you considering doing this with a view to selling the house soon, or because it's what you'd prefer?

If it's to sell, if I've understood correctly it's currently 4 beds and small bathroom, and you're talking about changing it to 4 beds and big bathroom, but the 4th bed would only be 4'7 wide and therefore not marketable (or usable) as a bedroom. You're not going to have any more or less rooms, but the bathroom will be bigger and the smallest bedroom much smaller.

I don't think I'd do it. At the moment your 4th bedroom can be a bedroom, if someone wants. At 4'7 it can't be, and for me that would be far too small to be a study. I'd probably see it as pretty much a cupboard!

Does your current bathroom have a bathtub in, or could one fit in? A family market will want a bathtub (for young kids) and so long as it has that, I don't think a bathroom on the small side would be a massive problem. I know people whose large family houses have one small bathroom and the house has coped through kids growing up and leaving home.

In short though: you won't add value to the house that will cover the cost of the project because you're not gaining an extra room.

If you're planning to live there long-term and want a bigger bathroom, go for it. :)
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,475 Forumite
    Options
    If it serves your purpose, I would let it stay as it is.

If you are selling, I would still leave it, as this lets the buyer have a choice.
  • fairy_lights
    Options
    Do you need a 4th bedroom?
    If I didn't need the bedroom pace I think I'd prefer the bigger bathroom - more space makes it easier to get dried and dressed, dye your hair etc as well as having storage space for towels.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Whats better ... 4 bed + small bathroom or 3 bed + big bathroom ?
    How many adults & children living there?
  • Azure11
    Options
    Personally if I was looking for a 4 bed house I would not consider one that had a really small bathroom. You do need a decent amount of room to get small children sorted in the bathroom like somebody has said. Could you just take some space from another bedroom to add to the existing bathroom?
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Personally, I regard anyone who utters the words "family bathroom" is a moron who shouldn't be allowed out in public unsupervised - a bathroom generally only has one person it at a time, so all that extra space is simply wasted, and means a colder room once you get out of the bath. I do concede that if the toilet is in the same room (and who wants to stare at the bog whilst trying to relax in the bath), then you want a little more space to sit on said throne with some space around you, but any bathroom that's significantly longer or wider than a bath, is simply wasting space.

With a 4 bedroom house I'd be more concerned about the number of toilets, especially if the whole family can't use the loo because someone's having a bath...
  • Amilia_Bargues
    Options
    I think it`s really depends on your family and its needs. If 3 bedroom enough for you why should you deny yourself in luxury jacuzzi?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure