Virgin Media Disconnection Charge

Options

Comments

• glentoran99
    Options
    as for it being unfair, sorry you wont win that argument as the fees are set by the regulator, you say it wont cost them anything, However a business like virgin would plan long term into investment into infrastructure etc so the 12 months contracts are taken into account in budgeting, if they let everyone cancel mid term without charge they couldn't last
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    you could stay with them and use the National Broadband service
    Copper based National Broadband ceased in October 2013
  • glentoran99
    Options
    !!!!!! wrote: »
    Copper based National Broadband ceased in October 2013

That rules that out then
  • Jadam
    Options
    I had asked about National Broadband and they said it was no longer available. I even asked about downgrading and paying out the remaining term which they said no to. They said the only way I could have the fee reduced is the option of recommending a friend or family member. That seemed quite inappropriate considering my unhappiness. I've been doing research on other sites and it seems I'll have to bite the bullet as Virgin will never waive the fee.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Jadam wrote: »
    Virgin only offer minimum 12month contracts. I have rented for 13years and never been in this position. I always ensure I can move services at a manageable cost. However since you can't offer any advice and you prefer to continue criticising me I think I'll just stop this conversation. My first foley into internet financial help forums and I have someone telling me I'm getting what I deserve.

Well which is it?
    You said its common to be asked to move out,yet never in 13 years.
  • Jadam
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    Well which is it?
    You said its common to be asked to move out,yet never in 13 years.

Short term tenancy agreements are very common which come with the condition that you can be asked to leave the property with notice. Are you that bored you feel you have to pick holes in my posts? Or is it more you enjoy trolling people?

Since you've made it clear I've made bad choices, tell me for the future what you would do if you needed to get broadband services?
  • Keekee
    Options
    I recently encountered a similar situation with virgin where I sas moving out of their area and they could no longer provide the broadband but charged the early termination fees anyway (long term customer but had changed a service within the previous 12 months and therefore restarted my contract) so I understand your frustration! Although I couldn't convince virgin to waive any fees, they did "automatically" put me through to a third party provider who advised me which competitors could provide my broadband.

This company also, very helpfully, told me about a Sky switch offer where Sky will give vouchers to the value of the disconnection charges if you take out sky broadband (with receipt of certain evidence and within a set value). You go have to request it specifically and (I think) can only set it until over the phone.
    Hope that helps
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Simple solution: ask the landlord to pay, and make it clear that if he meets this and other reasonable expenses of your forced move you will leave the flat in good time for his sale to go through. Obviously, if you decided not to cooperate he would face a long and expensive legal process to gain possession and would probably lose his buyer on the way, so it would be in his interest to play ball.
  • Dan-Dan
    Dan-Dan Posts: 5,272 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    £74 seems a bargain , a couple of years back , we moved , i think 3 months into a deal to a non VM area and they wanted something like £300 !!
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
  • 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Surely it's common sense not to take out a 12 month (or more) contract linked to your rental property, when you openly admit it's a short term lease and you could be given notice to leave at any point past the 6 month original AST?

Virgins charges are all detailed in the T&C's you agreed to when you took out the contract. You wouldnt be so happy if they changed their terms to your detriment, half way through the legal contract, would you?

You're not going to get anywhere with this I'm afraid. Take it as a lesson and do some research when you take out any new contracts in future.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure