Virgin Media Disconnection Charge

Options
I'm looking for some advice regarding an issue I have with virgin media.

I took out a virgin broadband 12 months contract, 4 months ago upon moving into a new flat as a tenant. However I've had to move out the flat due to the landlord selling the home.

I called Virgin to discuss moving my services to the new flat I am moving into but unfortunately they don't provide services at the new address and therefore they've stated I need to pay a £74 disconnection fee based on my remaining time in the contract.

I've explained I've had to move due to circumstances outside my control and feel it's unfair that I'm being charged a disconnection fee when I am more than happy to port the contract to a new home. They have stated its in the T&C's and refuse to consider my circumstances. I have even ask for the complaint to be escalated and told no because they do not negotiate on disconnection fees.

Has anyone has a similar experience or offer advice to how I can combat this unjustified charge?

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Jadam wrote: »
    I'm looking for some advice regarding an issue I have with virgin media.

I took out a virgin broadband 12 months contract, 4 months ago upon moving into a new flat as a tenant. However I've had to move out the flat due to the landlord selling the home.

I called Virgin to discuss moving my services to the new flat I am moving into but unfortunately they don't provide services at the new address and therefore they've stated I need to pay a £74 disconnection fee based on my remaining time in the contract.

I've explained I've had to move due to circumstances outside my control and feel it's unfair that I'm being charged a disconnection fee when I am more than happy to port the contract to a new home. They have stated its in the T&C's and refuse to consider my circumstances. I have even ask for the complaint to be escalated and told no because they do not negotiate on disconnection fees.

Has anyone has a similar experience or offer advice to how I can combat this unjustified charge?

Are the circumstances in VMs control?
    You chose the new flat and as such one with no VM services.
    How do you see it as unjustified?
    You are free to pay the remaining 12 months.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,600 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If it's in the T&Cs, then it's what you agreed to unfortunately.
    However, they also state:
    Note: early disconnection fees are not payable for any month where you have already paid for your line rental in advance on Line Rental Saver.
    Did you pay the line rental in advance?
    The above quote doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but appears to state that early disconnection fees for anything don't apply if you've paid Line Rental Saver for the period concerned. It may not apply to you and I think I've somehow misinterpreted it anyway...

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• glentoran99
    Options
    victor2 wrote: »
    If it's in the T&Cs, then it's what you agreed to unfortunately.
    However, they also state:

Did you pay the line rental in advance?
    The above quote doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but appears to state that early disconnection fees for anything don't apply if you've paid Line Rental Saver for the period concerned. It may not apply to you and I think I've somehow misinterpreted it anyway...
    The don't charge you early disconnection because you've already paid for that month, but just for that month, you'd get charged early disconnection for the rest
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,600 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The don't charge you early disconnection because you've already paid for that month, but just for that month, you'd get charged early disconnection for the rest
    But you've only paid the phone line rental in advance, not broadband, TV or anything else...

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Jadam
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    Are the circumstances in VMs control?
    You chose the new flat and as such one with no VM services.
    How do you see it as unjustified?
    You are free to pay the remaining 12 months.

Of course the circumstances aren't under Virgin's control, but they set their charging structure and therefore I would imagine they could offer a level of discretion.

Broadband availability isn't something I tend to prioritise when flat searching; my area doesn't have the greatest choice of flats and doing so would greatly reduce my options. I think thats rather short sighted to suggest that.

How would you justify a £74 disconnection fee. Where is the cost to virgin to stop the services in the flat?

I fully understand disconnection fees and know why they are in place. I've even happily paid them in years passed when I've had to move on within a contract. Im only looking for advice not trying to cheat the system

In answer to the other posts, I'm not sure what that means however next week I need to pay both the a months payment and the disconnection fee in the one charge
  • custardy
    Options
    Of course the circumstances aren't under Virgin's control, but they set their charging structure and therefore I would imagine they could offer a level of discretion.

Broadband availability isn't something I tend to prioritise when flat searching; my area doesn't have the greatest choice of flats and doing so would greatly reduce my options. I think thats rather short sighted to suggest that.

How would you justify a £74 disconnection fee. Where is the cost to virgin to stop the services in the flat?

I fully understand disconnection fees and know why they are in place. I've even happily paid them in years passed when I've had to move on within a contract. Im only looking for advice not trying to cheat the system

In answer to the other posts, I'm not sure what that means however next week I need to pay both the a months payment and the disconnection fee in the one charge

Is it short sighted to take on a 12 month contract you cant fulfil?
    By not having it on your radar,you are now subject to the contracted charges.
  • Jadam
    Options
    Is it short sighted to take on a 12 month contract you cant fulfil?
    By not having it on your radar,you are now subject to the contracted charges.

Yes it would be short sighted but the landlord selling the property wasn't something I was aware of. I hold no grudge in regards to that as I was in a short term tenancy agreement which means I can be asked to leave the property at any point with notice. This is very common in rental properties.

Once again I'm looking for advice, not someone to sit and criticise me.
  • custardy
    Options
    Yes it would be short sighted but the landlord selling the property wasn't something I was aware of. I hold no grudge in regards to that as I was in a short term tenancy agreement which means I can be asked to leave the property at any point with notice. This is very common in rental properties.

Once again I'm looking for advice, not someone to sit and criticise me.

You got it.
    unjustified charge
    However you set the stall in your opening post.
    Given as you say its very common in rental properties. Wouldn't you plan to use services that can be moved with you?
  • Jadam
    Options
    You got it.

However you set the stall in your opening post.
    Given as you say its very common in rental properties. Wouldn't you plan to use services that can be moved with you?

Virgin only offer minimum 12month contracts. I have rented for 13years and never been in this position. I always ensure I can move services at a manageable cost. However since you can't offer any advice and you prefer to continue criticising me I think I'll just stop this conversation. My first foley into internet financial help forums and I have someone telling me I'm getting what I deserve.
  • glentoran99
    Options
    you could stay with them and use the National Broadband service
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills