🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Charged 59 Days After Transaction?!?

Options
I'm was checking my statement for September this morning and noticed something a little odd. I have the following two transactions from July which have only just appeared.

28 Jul 2015 TRAIN COMPANY
Travel £33.60
Date Processed: 18 Sep 2015

21 Jul 2015 TRAIN COMPANY
Travel £33.60
Date Processed: 18 Sep 2015

So they were made 59 and 52 days ago! I use my credit card for literally everything, and have never experienced a charge taking more than 7-8 days to appear and most between 0-3 days.

So I was wondering if some sort of reasonable time law applied for processing credit card transactions, I've googled it but came up with nothing. Anyone know anything that can apply in this situation?

I'm not asking because i can't afford the transaction, just that I find charging me so long after the event cheeky!

Comments

• HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's only 8 weeks ago it's not that long ago. If it was years then I'd be complaining but not after 8 weeks.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Cycrow
    Cycrow Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    Companies have 6 months to process the transaction
  • Karnage
    Options
    Cycrow wrote: »
    Companies have 6 months to process the transaction

Do you know of a source that says this? I can't see any reason why a company would need 6 months to process a transaction.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    They don't necessarily need it, but human and system error can cause delays, so it allows everyone to make sure their debts are properly paid without dragging everyone through the courts.
  • Karnage
    Options
    They don't necessarily need it, but human and system error can cause delays, so it allows everyone to make sure their debts are properly paid without dragging everyone through the courts.

I can't see any reason you would need more than 14 days to process a transaction. I mean these transaction missed 2 months of statements before they appeared. If they were significantly larger they could have caused me financial problems.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    As I say, human or system error. Although not common, it does happen.

If you're making significant transactions, it's good practice to check your statements carefully each month if funds are tight.
  • Karnage
    Options
    Isn't the whole point of being a consumer the fact that I am protected from a companies 'human and system error' mistakes?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Not as far as I'm aware.

If a company does something wrong - charge the wrong amount, deliver the wrong product etc - then you can obviously ask them to put it right. But there's no blanket regulation that says if a company makes an error then you get free goods.
  • Karnage
    Options
    I just struggling to understand how it can be acceptable for them to be so negligent that they were unable to process a simple transaction within 14 days. Its so out of the norm for a credit card transaction how can I be expected to remember I even made the transaction?

I don't expect free goods, just merchants processing transactions within an acceptable time.
  • lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Just pay it and forget about it. Or are you really that bored?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport