Mortgage free by 2021?!

Options

Comments

• BookWorm
    BookWorm Posts: 2,466 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Great figures Hidden :T

I have a co-worker who gives me a hard time for always taking my lunch in....I let it wash over me....as I'm not the one always scrabbling around the week before payday ;) Even small changes can have a big impact when you add them all up

Have a lovely weekend :)
  • hiddenshadow
    hiddenshadow Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    Options
    Luckily my coworkers don't comment on my frugal habits, though they all do moan a bit right before/after pay day (after generally being "this month I really will stick to X spending" followed by moaning 2 weeks later when they've gone overbudget). Meanwhile I don't drink coffee (and have brought in a large box of tea bags I got on offer :cool:), bring my lunch in every day, and walk 10 minutes farther than I strictly have to and get a cheaper tube fare. None of those things dramatically affect my day (except the walking which can only help) and I save money. Win-win.
  • EatingTheElephant
    Options
    At a place where I am working onsite for a while there are people that go to the pub every lunch :eek:
  • hiddenshadow
    Options
    At a place where I am working onsite for a while there are people that go to the pub every lunch :eek:

Wow. I could certainly do with being more structured with my lunch as I frequently don't take a break and get sucked back in to work. I can't imagine going out for every lunch, though - not only the time and expense (!) but the food itself...surely they must get bored of a pub lunch every day?
  • EatingTheElephant
    Options
    It baffles me on all levels! I tend to eat my lunch then walk for the rest of the lunch break else I get interrupted by people wanting things. Plus it helps keep my steps up :)
  • hiddenshadow
    Options
    It baffles me on all levels! I tend to eat my lunch then walk for the rest of the lunch break else I get interrupted by people wanting things. Plus it helps keep my steps up :)

That's a good idea. At my previous job I went for a run at lunchtime but there was also a shower handy. ;) I did run pre-work the other day and wiped down in the bathroom but it wasn't as nice. Still debating joining a local gym to have access to showers, but don't want the expense.
  • PositiveBalance
    PositiveBalance Posts: 1,268 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 May 2016 at 10:39PM
    Options
    Hi HiddenShadow, :wave:

I've been very rude (and very busy!) and realised that I have not popped by your diary to say hello, wish you well and thank you for all the moral support - very rude of me!

So hello, best of luck and I've only had the chance to read so far but you seem to be doing far better than me. Keep up the good work!

*Subscribes and bookmarks*
    Debt: £11,640.02 paid in full! DFD: 30/06/20
    Starter Emergency Fund (#187): £1000/£1000
    3 month Emergency Fund (#45): £3300/£3300
  • hiddenshadow
    Options
    Thanks, PB! :) Don't worry about not stopping by before, I have loads of diaries I'd like to read but haven't yet. :o

If it makes you feel better, I/we only kicked into high gear regarding the finances in the last 4 or so years. We weren't doing badly before that, but the extra income/debt payoff has really been dramatic the past few years.
  • hiddenshadow
    Options
    N@tionwide has confirmed the loan, will pay £300.80 interest over 2 years for the privilege of borrowing £10k (and earning over £1k interest on it ;)).

Also made £200+ from MB over the weekend. :) Should be able to OP £223.17 once the funds arrive back in the bank account later this week.

Also bought a PS4 from T3sco and got £88 in credit for the 3 games we got with it. Brings the cost of the PS4 down to £201, plus we'll get ~£14 in clubcard boost credit. We have no games for it now, but that's irrelevant. ;) Probably could have saved more if we'd waited for xmas sales, but £200 was our "we think it's worth it" amount, so fair enough.

Will need to figure out where we stand with the numbers once the loan money hits. Math-wise it makes sense to pay extra back to the loan immediately (should have a few hundred spare after filling all the accounts), but I don't know how much of a hassle that'll be. The difference in interest between it and the mortgage is only 0.5% so even if we OPed £400 to the loan we'd save a whole £2 in interest. ;) Psychologically I'd rather throw that £400 to the mortgage, even if it costs us £2 more. We'll see if my £400 ballpark figure is correct, though.
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,469 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well done on the cheaper PS4. I do still consider the joys of console gaming from time to time, but no spare hours at the mo. I did, however, have them chase a spare HDMI cable through our wall when they were hanging the TV, just in case :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure