🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Nationwide Flex Direct Application??

Options
13»

Comments

• Kernel_Sanders
    Options
    Archi_Bald wrote: »
    You don't need a card reader to log into Nationwide.

You don't even need one to set up a payment to a new person - an absolute gift to anyone who's managed to hack into your account.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You don't even need one to set up a payment to a new person - an absolute gift to anyone who's managed to hack into your account.

The only time you don't need a card reader to set up a new payment is if you set it up using telephone banking, or in branch. You cannot set up a new payee without using the card reader. When setting up a new payee online, at a minimum, you must have used the card reader to log in, and if you did not, you have to use it when setting up the new payee.

A hacker would need to have not only your online access details but also your card and your PIN.
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Kernel_Sanders Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 September 2015 at 11:34PM
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    The only time you don't need a card reader to set up a new payment is if you set it up using telephone banking, or in branch. You cannot set up a new payee without using the card reader. When setting up a new payee online, at a minimum, you must have used the card reader to log in, and if you did not, you have to use it when setting up the new payee.

A hacker would need to have not only your online access details but also your card and your PIN.
    You are arguing with someone who has managed to not only log in without a card reader, but has set up external payees and actually moved money. Maybe you use 'Log in to Mysave' but if you 'Log in to Internet Bank' then after entering the customer no., it invites you (on the top right) to log in without card reader. Same for setting up payments.
  • dggar
    dggar Posts: 670 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You are arguing with someone who has managed to not only log in without a card reader, but has set up external payees and actually moved money. Maybe you use 'Log in to Mysave' but if you 'Log in to Internet Bank' then after entering the customer no., it invites you (on the top right) to log in without card reader. Same for setting up payments.
    Can you explain the steps to set up a new payee and move money without using the card reader.

I have just logged into my Nationwide account without using the card reader and tried to set up a new payee.

For me this process leads to the following display:-
    wrote:

Authorisation Required

For your security, you need to use your card and card reader to authorise this transaction.

1. Insert your card
    into the card reader

If you don't have your card and card reader with you, you won't be able to proceed with this request. Please select the Cancel request button to return to your Account Overview.

• colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    if you 'Log in to Internet Bank' then after entering the customer no., it invites you (on the top right) to log in without card reader.
    agreed (I log in w/o the card reader 99.9% of times)
    Same for setting up payments.
    If you logged in using the card reader, you do not have to use it again to set up a new payee. If you have not used the card reader to log in, you must use it when setting up a new payee.
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Kernel_Sanders Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 4 October 2015 at 3:23AM
    Options
    I've made a huge blunder on this page. I don't mean the one in #22 (apologies to Nationwide for that one), I mean for not checking my 'facts' when contradicted by Colsten. This would have been bad enough if the contradiction came from a newbie or someone with a history of dodgy posts, but the fact is I recall nothing but sound advice from Colsten and really should have known better; I only realized this when trying to set up a payment this evening from the Nationwide.:o
    Please accept my apologies for wasting your time, dggar's time and anybody else's.
    The payments I originally set up were actually from the TSB, who only require that you tap into your phone a number that appears onscreen. I am at a loss as to why I confused the two organizations. The only thing I can think of is that it must be catching....
    colsten wrote: »
    OOOPs, sorry, you don't need paperless statements in order to get interest on the Nationwide FlexDirect. For some weird reason, I thought you were talking about TSB Plus :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport