PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

HELP!! Kitchen Help - cooking without a kitchen (merged)

Comments

• RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,646 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thought I would add this link http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/features/miniature-miracles-quick-meals-with-a-mug-and-a-microwave-8465379.html

Some of them may not be the cheapest of deals but they will cost very little to cook and are perfect for those with very little kit and those cooking for one.

Required

Knife
    Chopping board
    Microwave

Note the comment about using a 900W oven and adjust timings though.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • Lilyplonk
    Lilyplonk Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    During the power cuts of the late 60's/early 70's my dad got our two ring camping hob out of storage and bought a large new container of Calor Gas for using at home.

It was a bit restrictive, but the power cuts were only lasting for around 4hrs at a time on a geographical rota basis and all households were well aware of the days/times involved in advance.

We were able to at least use the Pressure Cooker and had many pans of Hot Pot/Scouse while others were travelling to the chippies in other parts of our town.

I think that if people are considering getting some kind of 'extra cooking arrangement/gadget' a camping hob would make a great alternative.

Also useful is a Halogen Oven and/or a George Foreman Grill/Griddle.
  • sweaty_betty
    sweaty_betty Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Hi there - we're having an extension done over the next few months and are going to be without a kitchen for probably around 8 weeks.

We will have the microwave and fridge freezer in the dining room, possibly also the toaster, but I'm a little worried about how we're going to manage to eat reasonably cheaply and healthily during this time. There's only so much salad or cheese on toast that I can stand!

I've decided to work through the freezer and make batches of chilli, bolognaise which can be taken out, defrosted and heated, but would appreciate any other tips you might have. At the moment I'm imagining lovely warm weather and a BBQ every night - but that's probably a bit optimistic :)

Any ideas?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    If you put dry pasta into a bowl/jug and pour boiling water on it then shove something on top to keep the heat in .... after 10 minutes or so the pasta is cooked. Worst case is that too much heat escaped, in which case simply drain, top up with boiling water again and wait a bit longer.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,301 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Instead of draining and topping up again with boiling water I would zap things in the microwave to reheat - pretty much anything you boil can be done with a kettle and microwave.

My thoughts also turn in this direction:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Single-Table-Top-Hot-Plate-Hob-Portable-Camping-Caravan-Stove-Cooker-Hotplate-/281081418114
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • arbroath_lass
    arbroath_lass Posts: 1,607 Forumite
    I'd recommend you get a slow cooker. You can cook all sorts in them and with the addition of your microwave I'm sure you could actually do fairly "normal" meals for the eight weeks.
  • chippy2u
    chippy2u Posts: 320 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Get a Halogen Oven. Since getting one I have not used my cookers oven at all. There is virtually nothing that can't be cooked in a halogen oven. I can cook a full roast dinner just by using the halogen oven to roast( meat,roast taters, yorkie puds) and a micro wave to cook veg etc. Well worth the investment (about £40/60) and it saves on electric as well!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    theoretica wrote: »
    Instead of draining and topping up again with boiling water I would zap things in the microwave to reheat - pretty much anything you boil can be done with a kettle and microwave.

My thoughts also turn in this direction:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Single-Table-Top-Hot-Plate-Hob-Portable-Camping-Caravan-Stove-Cooker-Hotplate-/281081418114
    Yeah, so would anybody that has a microwave..... but if she's using the microwave to reheat frozen meals, it's nice the pasta can be 'cooking' alongside that.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,144 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    We've recently gone thru this for a fortnight and it's not the preparation of meals if you have access to a fridge/freezer, microwave, kettle and slow cooker. The problems were space to put everything. Fortunately we have a conservatory where everything went and this was the most problematic for me, where to wash up. If you have a utility area, with a seperate sink, it should be a doddle. If you are having to traipse washing up bowl or pots, pans and cultlery upstairs to the bathroom a lot harder! We managed by picky food, rotiserrie chicken, crusty bread, salads, quiches, eating out at friends/relatives and some take-aways.
  • sweaty_betty
    sweaty_betty Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Thanks - some good suggestions so far! I hadn't thought about washing up, I'm not looking forward to that bit...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure