PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

HELP!! Kitchen Help - cooking without a kitchen (merged)

Comments

• mikeywills
    mikeywills Posts: 929 Forumite
    Do you know anyone with a slow cooker that you could borrow, on even consider buying one, a 3.5l one can be picked up for around £20 sometimes better. They are great for these occasions, stews, casseroles, curries even porridge, for hot lunches you can make soups with leftovers.
    I had a plan..........its here somewhere.
  • I have an electric frying pan for use in my touring caravan - great for bacon, eggs, sausage and all the usual breakfast stuff. You can cook stews, bolognaise etc. in it too - but I suppose you can in a microwave. My mum gave me her old one years ago and when it packed up it was difficult to find another but an internet search did the trick.

Good luck with your new kitchen - at least you can brew for the fitters :-)
  • taketwo
    taketwo Posts: 98 Forumite
    Don't think I can be much help for the little one, but have you got a George Foreman grill? Really easy for sausages etc and you can make chicken or pork or steaks a little more exciting with some of the mixed spices you can get just sprinkled on, eg cajun or steakhouse. For a really 'cheesy' evening you could do a fondue? Meat or cheese, or even buy what Lakeland Plastics call a raclette - has a very non stick hot plate on which you cook your own meat/veggies, and little trays underneath that you melt special raclette cheese (Sainsburys sell it sliced in packets) in to pour onto your crusty bread ... I know this all sounds a bit excessive, but I use the 'George' a lot - much easier to clean than the grill pan, and the other two I think are great for dinner parties - you do a bit of preparation and the guests cook their own dinner! Even better if they don't know each other very well, as guaranteed to break the ice.
    Good Luck
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    i cook cous cous by pouring over boiling water and leaving for ten minutes.Rice can easily be cooked in a microwave,
  • gwinnie
    gwinnie Posts: 9,881 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Well, I do have a GF grill, a toaster and a slowcooker. I love the SC but have never put anything in 'unbrowned'? It's not so much the meat I'm worried about (for example I love boiled chicken, which is also very low fat as you take the skin off first) but it's the garlic and onion that I would worry about.

I'd never heard of an electric frying pan, but will look for one anyway. Ditto the camping stove. OH loves loves loves camping. I don't! But now that DS has come along I'm preparing for the day when I'm outvoted!
    Context is all.

"Free your mind and the rest will follow."

"Real eyes realise real lies"
  • gwinnie
    Combo Breaker First Post
    hollydays wrote: »
    Rice can easily be cooked in a microwave,

I have a special double container for steaming rice in microwave but it's always gone badly wrong, and now I just use it to store fresh herbs in the fridge ... any tips?
    Context is all.

• Get this book: Just One Pot by Lindsey Bareham

She wrote this book when her kitchen was being refitted and most of the recipes can be cooked using just one hob ring and one pot so a camping stove is fine. I can highly recommend the jambalaya and chorizo and white bean stew recipe! :)
  • This is not going to be very helpful I know, but in our pre-OS ways when for some reason we decided to fit a new kitchen, bathroom and re-plaster the hall stairs and landing all at the same time :confused: :eek: :confused: We ate out on every occasion - we went to Little Chef for brekkie, and had various Chinese, Indian, pizzas, burgers etc for the rest of our meals - we actually lost 7lbs each :eek: DD was 4 at the time. and was being taken out for the day by my bestsest friend (so we could get on) anyway we couldn't find the screwdrivers (kinda essential for making up kitchen cupboards :rolleyes: ) and we looked for 2 hours (DD was being especially helpful in helping us look), when DD was picked up she happened to tap a box of boxed up kitchen "stuff" as she left.... well this got me wondering, and lo and behold in the 4th box down there was a little hole and she'd "posted" all the screwdrivers in there :mad: It's a good job she'd gone out - kid's you gotta love 'em :A
    Squares knitted for my throw ~ 90 (yes!!! I have finally finished it :rotfl: )
    Squares made for my patchwork quilt ~ 80 (only the "actual" quilting to do now :rotfl:)
  • gwinnie
    Combo Breaker First Post
    This is not going to be very helpful I know, but in our pre-OS ways when for some reason we decided to fit a new kitchen, bathroom and re-plaster the hall stairs and landing all at the same time :confused: :eek: :confused: We ate out on every occasion - we went to Little Chef for brekkie, and had various Chinese, Indian, pizzas, burgers etc for the rest of our meals - we actually lost 7lbs each :eek: DD was 4 at the time. and was being taken out for the day by my bestsest friend (so we could get on) anyway we couldn't find the screwdrivers (kinda essential for making up kitchen cupboards :rolleyes: ) and we looked for 2 hours (DD was being especially helpful in helping us look), when DD was picked up she happened to tap a box of boxed up kitchen "stuff" as she left.... well this got me wondering, and lo and behold in the 4th box down there was a little hole and she'd "posted" all the screwdrivers in there :mad: It's a good job she'd gone out - kid's you gotta love 'em :A

:rotfl: :T
    Context is all.

• gwinnie,

This is similar to the model of camping stove I have

The canisters last about 2 and a half hours, which is 5 days worth if you reckon on cooking for 30 mins each day (more than enough for the things I mentioned above)

and its £9 which is I imagine roughly what you'd spend on just one takeaway meal!

HTH PG xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport