Will TV use up my broadband allowance?

in TV MoneySaving
16 replies 2.2K views
Sorry, if this is a daft question, but I am currently thinking of buying a Smart TV, a Linsar 32LED1600, which looks like it's got everything I need/want. I currently only have freeview but have subscribed in the past to NOW tv, to use on my laptop.

I was telling a friend about my possible purchase and she said she rarely uses her Smart tv, as it eats into her broadband allowance.

I am with John Lewis and currently have a 20kb monthly allowance - and don't think I've ever reached 10kb......

Thanks for help - don't want to spend my hard earnt pension on something I'll be frightened to use.

Replies

• TadleyBaggieTadleyBaggie Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I assume to mean 20GB? Depends on how much you stream but an HD 1 hour program could eat up 800MB or more.
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    19.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You really need unlimited to use TV internet .
  • moleratmolerat Forumite
    25.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What they said ^^^^^

I am a fairly light streaming TV user and used 54GB in August.
  • edited 1 September 2015 at 8:48AM
    HappyMJHappyMJ Forumite
    21.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 September 2015 at 8:48AM
    I watch a couple of movies a week and a few hours of other programming and my August usage was 120.29GB excluding the 31st August which is yet to show. So...10GB or even 20GB will not be enough. Switch to an unlimited allowance tariff.

Edit: I am with talktalk and the monthly bill is zero after having paid the £16.70 monthly line rental 12 months in advance. Internet is unlimited and free for 12 months. I get very good speeds on ADSL.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • edited 1 September 2015 at 8:48AM
    tyllwydtyllwyd Forumite
    5.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 September 2015 at 8:48AM
    And before you get scared by the idea of paying for unlimited broadband, check the cost - 20 KB is a very low limit - it's not that much more to to switch to an unlimited deal.
  • thedogsmumthedogsmum Forumite
    363 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭
    Thank you, everyone, for your help. I did mean 20GB - proves how much I (don't) know, doesn't it?
    As I said, I'm with John Lewis, who only have two choices, Standard or Unlimited - the latter being £7 a monthy more. I know I pay over the odds to be with them, but I needed to know I'd get help with customer service as/when I need it. I have my landline, calls and broadband with them.
    I don't do gaming - not even sure what it is, if I'm perfectly honest! When I subscribed to Now, I didn't subscribe to movies or sport, just the 'Entertainment' channel. I stopped subcribing because Chrome don't support it any longer and couldn't gain access. That's when I started looking for another tv. The £7. extra for broadband is what I was paying a month for Now, so cancels it out.
    Thanks, again, peep's for your help. I really do appreciate it.
    19.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As JL are only selling on a BT product the CS will be limited .
    Are you out of contract with JL or is a price rise in the pipeline .
  • tyllwydtyllwyd Forumite
    5.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    thedogsmum wrote: »
    When I subscribed to Now, I didn't subscribe to movies or sport, just the 'Entertainment' channel. I stopped subcribing because Chrome don't support it any longer and couldn't gain access. That's when I started looking for another tv. The £7. extra for broadband is what I was paying a month for Now, so cancels it out.
    Thanks, again, peep's for your help. I really do appreciate it.

That's not quite how it works - when you subscribed to Now on your laptop, if you were watching it over your wifi connection, then you were using your broadband allowance. You probably didn't go over your allowance because you weren't using it that much because it was your laptop rather than your tv.
  • thedogsmumthedogsmum Forumite
    363 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭
    tyllwyd wrote: »
    That's not quite how it works - when you subscribed to Now on your laptop, if you were watching it over your wifi connection, then you were using your broadband allowance. You probably didn't go over your allowance because you weren't using it that much because it was your laptop rather than your tv.

See what you mean, i.e. if I want to watch NOW tv on my tv, I'll still have to pay £7. for the priviledge?
    19.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now TV is a subscription service so yes you pay its not free with a smart tv .
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News