Why do some cyclists use the entire lane, use fog horns, and flashing lights?????????

Options

Comments

• brat
    brat Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    Options
    Retrogamer wrote: »
    Can a cyclist be prosecuted for cycling into the middle of a road which has the conventional 2 lanes?
    If his riding is deemed to be inconsiderate to other road users , yes; in the same way as a slow moving tractor might be prosecuted if he didn't pull over occasionally.
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
  • trinidadone
    trinidadone Posts: 3,341 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Retrogamer wrote: »
    Can a cyclist be prosecuted for cycling into the middle of a road which has the conventional 2 lanes?

I found this amusing article of a cyclist who was prosecuted last year for being towed by a German Sheppard dog:

http://road.cc/content/news/138070-man-prosecuted-being-towed-down-road-his-german-shepherd
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,236 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    brat wrote: »
    So, despite knowing that your interpretation of the Highway Code is wrong, you're happy to use that misinterpretation to accuse cyclists of not believing the rules apply to them. Nice.
    Please explain?
  • prowla
    Options
    If you're driving a car on a wide lane do you hug the nearside kerb?. Forget your preferred interpretation which places cyclists where you want them.. Regardless of anyone's choice of road position or mode of transport the keep left instruction means use the left hand lane.
    As I earlier pointed out, there are separate rules which state you should keep to the left lane; the general "keep to the left" rule does not stipulate lanes, it is general. You seem to keep wanting to add words to it, but it is complete as it is.

In a wide lane, you should keep to the left, though scraping the kerb would mean that you were too far to the left, as your wing mirrors would be over the pavement and you would likely shred your tyres.

As for placing cyclists where I want them, where I want them is where it says in the highway code, and where it shows them in the pictures from the highway code, ie. in accordance with the rules of the road and aligned with what most road users have been taught that apply.

Continually insisting that "keep to the left" doesn't really mean keep to the left simply defies logic.

Perhaps we should look at all of the other rules of the road and add our own little embellishments too?
  • Hedgehog99
    Hedgehog99 Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    Options
    thank you for your contribution, can you tell us more, why you think cycling is so nasty out there, and what is your mode of transport now?

Despite trying to adhere to the rules of the road and be a courteous cyclist:

I got so fed up with being treated as a z-class citizen by everyone else - drivers, cyclists and pedestrians.

I was chased by a road-rage maniac who damaged my bike and only didn't damage me because of a street-full of witnesses who chased him off.

I was driven at by taxis/buses/white vans all the time, and once fell off, causing an injury I still have now.

I was screamed at by a DHL courier who drove alongside me (van was on wrong side of the road) swearing while not looking where they were going for a good 20 metres including blind bend. Dread to think what would have happened if something had come the other way. DHL driver's instinct would have been to swerve - righ in to me.

Umpteen zillion occurrences of parking in cycle lanes I needed to use & pedestrians negligently all over the place

I was once wheeling my bike home from the hardware store, laden with items that meant I couldn't ride it. Woman refused to move sides of the path even though it was very hard for me to do so "because I was a bl**dy cyclist".

A kid who can't have been more than nine said the most disgusting thing anyone has ever said to me, out of the blue, just because I was riding a bike - see? it's that culture of cyclist = mud.

Mode of transport now? Car for personal / supermarket / hardware store / recycling centre trips, bus for work.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    prowla wrote: »

In a wide lane, you should keep to the left, though scraping the kerb would mean that you were too far to the left, as your wing mirrors would be over the pavement and you would likely shred your tyres.

What do you think happens to a bike in the left with kerbs,potholes,sunken drains etc?
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    nigglenoo wrote: »
    So does this keeping to the left of the lane apply to motorcycles as well? If so then someone had better tell the DSA as you will fail your motorcycle test if you do it. If not then why are motorcycles different?
    Speed. If you're on something that is capable of keeping up with, and going faster than, the majority of traffic, it makes sense to ride in a position similar to a car's. On a vehicle that is (usually) a lot slower than the traffic stream, a position to the left (consistent with safety, i.e. out of the gutter and a door's width away from parked cars) is reasonable. As a cyclist, that's what I do, and as a car driver I have no problem with other people doing it.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • frisbeej
    frisbeej Posts: 183 Forumite
    edited 3 September 2015 at 7:22AM
    Options
    Richard53 wrote: »
    Speed. If you're on something that is capable of keeping up with, and going faster than, the majority of traffic, it makes sense to ride in a position similar to a car's. On a vehicle that is (usually) a lot slower than the traffic stream, a position to the left (consistent with safety, i.e. out of the gutter and a door's width away from parked cars) is reasonable. As a cyclist, that's what I do, and as a car driver I have no problem with other people doing it.

Which is what sensible cyclists do.

But they are saying keep dangerously left at all times, within the range of opening doors, over drain hole covers and junk at the edge of the road, so close to the curb that you risk striking it with a pedal.

As, what they perceive, a third class road user you aren't permitted impede their progress or take any action to improve your own journey or safety.
  • prowla
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    What do you think happens to a bike in the left with kerbs,potholes,sunken drains etc?
    Post #182.
  • prowla
    Options
    nigglenoo wrote: »
    So does this keeping to the left of the lane apply to motorcycles as well? If so then someone had better tell the DSA as you will fail your motorcycle test if you do it. If not then why are motorcycles different?
    When was the last time you were in a queue of traffic stuck behind a motorcyclist doing 20 on a 60 road?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure