Haggle with Virgin - our new guide

Comments

• Yes on this subject I recently opted to leave Virgin for a cheaper package with another provider. I got a nasty shock when virgin told me I was told current part way through an 18 month contract which I wasn't aware of. I've been a customer of theirs for at least 5yrs. I checked my records and it turns out this new contract commenced after calling them to renegotiate my package price. At no point during the conversation was I made aware of a new contract and I certainly didn't sign anything. Are they really allowed to do this?
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,595 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    SMUDGER999 wrote: »
    Yes on this subject I recently opted to leave Virgin for a cheaper package with another provider. I got a nasty shock when virgin told me I was told current part way through an 18 month contract which I wasn't aware of. I've been a customer of theirs for at least 5yrs. I checked my records and it turns out this new contract commenced after calling them to renegotiate my package price. At no point during the conversation was I made aware of a new contract and I certainly didn't sign anything. Are they really allowed to do this?
    I've renegotiated my deal with VM over recent years and the last two involved new contracts, but they did tell me that. All was done over the phone and I never signed anything, so I assume they are allowed to do it.
    Unless you recorded the conversation, you will have no proof of what was said. The bills don't show your contract end date, and I can't see it in my profile on their website either.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• The_Jester
    The_Jester Posts: 230 Forumite
    My VM contract ends in September. I called them today to give them notice I want to cancel. I've been happy with their service but disgruntled at their lack of customer loyalty. Their basic package with 100mb BB, TV and landline costs £32 for new customers but £42 for existing.

The girl I spoke to was really difficult to understand but she was quite insistent she couldn't give me this package for £32. I asked to speak to her supervisor only for the reason I could hardly make her out but she gave the usual 'he's not available' excuse. So I gave them notice to cancel and let my contract expire in September.

Is their someone else I can contact to get the £32pm deal or not?
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Gee you start early. Too early really.
  • The_Jester
    The_Jester Posts: 230 Forumite
    AndyPK wrote: »
    Gee you start early. Too early really.

I'll be really busy in the next few months so wanted this sorted out well in advance.
  • Yes it sounds a pretty unregulated industry to me if they are allowed to do that. I would have understood it if I'd added any additional services but I hadn't, so pretty disappointed and distrustful of virgin now. Doesn't allow for a competitive market when they are allowed to tie you in on the sly and then sneak your bills up during the remainder of the contract.
  • jfk_2
    jfk_2 Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 October 2017 at 9:55AM
    I just had a result, I'd been told my £65.50/pm package was going up £3.99 (2nd increase in 2017), so I called and chose the cancel option, saying I was not satisfied with the service in that there were known issues with the Tivo V6 box dropping out sound which have been around for over 6 months - and still no timescale for a fix (it's all on the VM community forums). Also frequent service interruptions with Internet and Catch-up TV options frequently broken.

The first guy I spoke to said there was nothing he could do and also said I was bound by contract until 12 months were up and could not cance unless I paid a penalty chargel, so I quoted the sentence from the increase letter to him saying if I did not agree to the increase I could change or cancel my package without penalty - he asked to put me on hold while he checked.

He came back but still said there was nothing he could do except put me through to cancellations, so it seems they're using a 2 tier approach on this to test your resolve.

The "proper" retentions (i.e. cancellations) guy I then spoke to said he could restructure my package to bring it down to £44.50/pm, to which I agreed.

:beer:
  • Christyt
    Christyt Posts: 194 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks so much to everyone posting on these threads.

I'd not paid much attention to my Virgin Media account for a while and was out of contract.

They'd put me on 100mb BB, one TIVO box and an ancient router, no extra channels so basically Freeview TV via the TIVO box.

I was supposed to be getting a £9 customer discount and even with this my package was costing £42.

I called, said I wanted to pay less because I was only getting max 20 download speeds felt I was paying too much.

They didn't budge claiming I was on the lowest price possible, tried to tell me I couldn't get cheaper anywhere else for such good service with Virgin etc and just offered to send me a new router to boost my speeds.

I said I wanted therefore to cancel and got a cut off date of 8 Dec.

Today they called back and offered me £28 for 100mb BB, new router, upgraded me to Mix channels (even though I didn't want them) and line rental.

I know people have got less, but I'm pretty pleased. It's def worth calling their bluff.

I'll wait to get the email confirmation though as I've heard sometimes they change the deal when in writing.
  • Just been haggling with Virgin and just wanted to add a piece of advice and warn of something Virgin are doing which I think is scandalous.

If you're thinking of haggling with Virgin and want to check out what they're offering new customers DO NOT look using a Virgin internet connection. The page you're served over a virgin connection doesn't give details of the deals they're offering new customers.

To see what they're really offering new customers, you either need to use an internet connection that isn't a VM one (your phone or work maybe?) or use a VPN to disguise your IP address. You can do this with Opera Browser, which has a free built-in VPN you can turn on temporarily to browse the site for new customers, just be sure not to login to your account, because then you won't see the deals.
  • GTR_King
    GTR_King Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Ok so we have virgin Media BB/Phone out of contract

Mum pays for it, but would rather I pay for it (Have it in my name if possible) as i am better at getting deals.

100MBPS ViVid
    Talk weekends/evening
    £44

Sky TV (Might go to Virgin)

Any way we can get this cheaper? Or can we haggle and get a cheap Deal on the Vip Bundle? I love football & F1
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback