Should solar discussions be moved to the Energy board?

Options

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    zeupater wrote: »
    Hi

We've been through exactly the same argument loop before ....

In a previous incarnation of the debate the protagonist became abusive to a number of other members and was rightly PPRd .... the profile of the recent exchanges is so similar that it's, let's say, eerie ....

I appreciate that I said I would go quiet on this thread, but my hope that my move would end the abusive posts didn't work.

Also, I have to admit that I'd completely failed to spot, what you saw. Yes, the posts by Green Man who was banned in 2013 for being abusive are eerily similar:
    It's a shame that since feed in tariff payments for solar PV have come out that this board is now swamped with solar investors. What these investors don't seem to care about is that their feed in tariffs are paid from an increase in everyone else's energy bills. Many people, especially the low paid are already struggling with higher energy bills without the additional burden of subsidising the energy bills of people who have installed PV, most of whom are middle income home owners.

An investment where the returns are guaranteed by a compulsory 'tax' on the bills of the poor has no place on a board set up to allow discussions about "ethical financial issues".

A solution might be to create a PV sub board to stop the main board from becoming swamped with PV investors?

Anyway, back to quietly reading.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • tunnel
    tunnel Posts: 2,588 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Eerie or what?
    Never believed in reincarnation but I do now....smiley-laughing021.gif
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire17.7kWh Givenergy battery added(for the power hungry kids)
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    tunnel wrote: »
    Eerie or what?
    Never believed in reincarnation but I do now....smiley-laughing021.gif

Spooky even?

I love statistics and it's amazing how two different people can be co-incidentally so similar.

Even the same phrases - "swamping the G&E boards", "unethical FiTs", "moved to sub boards", "strawman argument".

Even the same posting style - quickly getting offensive, making grand statements but then dodging all attempts to extract an actual reasoned argument.

Similar dislikes, myself, well fair enough, my belief that FiTs is a strong and essential driver of renewables in the UK rubs up a lot of people. But what has Eric ever done? Yet one of the green mans posts about Eric was so offensive that it got deleted, so clearly he's got the X factor too!

Similar properties - both interested in rainwater harvesting, solid walls, and internal cavity wall insulation. Shame TGM was PPR'd otherwise he could have shared lots of information with MFW.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,250 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    But what has Eric ever done? Yet one of the green mans posts about Eric was so offensive that it got deleted, so clearly he's got the X factor too!
    Afraid I missed that one (but thanks to mods for trying to spare my feelings).

I suspect that the "thing I've done" was to respond to the original posting (hidden away on the 'Site Feedback' page : http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50 ) whereas everyone else seems (quite rightly) to take the view that any discussion on what happens to this section of the forum belongs right here.
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    EricMears wrote: »
    Afraid I missed that one (but thanks to mods for trying to spare my feelings).

Once deleted TGM denied posting it, but if you really want to know what was posted at 12.16pm on the 6/3/13 consisting of 24 words (excluding quotes), then I'm happy to PM you.

TGM also had a go at tunnel denying other posts once they had been deleted.

Mart.

• EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,250 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Afraid I misread Martyn's posting and assumed there had been a more recent insult.
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,072 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 August 2015 at 7:01PM
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    I appreciate that I said I would go quiet on this thread, but my hope that my move would end the abusive posts didn't work.

Also, I have to admit that I'd completely failed to spot, what you saw. Yes, the posts by Green Man who was banned in 2013 for being abusive are eerily similar:

Anyway, back to quietly reading.

Mart.

MFW_ASP does have a history or reincarnation having been banned under a couple of usernames from the 'Debate House Prices' board but imho is 'generally harmless' and so probably best to stick with debating the ideas rather than 'playing the man not the ball'.
    I think....
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    edited 26 August 2015 at 12:55PM
    Options
    theboylard wrote: »
    Has someone got a doppleganger?

I had assumed that was aimed at me, but reading later posts could it have been the 'green man'?

Actually I have just read this thread for the first time, and find it rather amusing; as you might guess I side largely with the OP. However he has done well in demolishing some of the 'regulars' arguments.

My argument has always been against the solar FIT system, not those who take advantage of the system. However I just wish there would be an admission that the majority have fitted solar purely as an investment and spare us from the disingenuous protestations about their green credentials.

P.S.
    Of course the FIT system is a method of transferring wealth from the less well off to house owners who can afford to install a solar system or rent a roof firms. What George Monboit wrote in March 2010 was true then, and has proven to be true; namely 'it is a transfer of wealth from approx. 98% of electricity consumers to the 2% receiving the subsidy.'

No doubt this will get coal power stations in India introduced into the discussion.;)
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    so probably best to stick with debating the ideas rather than 'playing the man not the ball'.

Little hope of that in this thread.
  • MFW_ASAP
    MFW_ASAP Posts: 1,458 Forumite
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    MFW_ASP does have a history or reinarnation having been banned under a couple of usernames from the 'Debate House Prices' board but imho is 'generally harmless' and so probably best to stick with debating the ideas rather than 'playing the man not the ball'.

Thanks michaels, I seem to get into trouble because I refuse to back down to the sort of bullying and ganging up that occurs on these boards. It amazes me how some of the 'side players' jump in and have a go (i.e. the 'ETHICAL' and 'GREEN' person) and when you bite back they start crying to the board how they're being picked on. I have tried several times to nudge the discussion back to subject of renaming the board (which I believe will be good for both solar/renewables and Green/Ethical subjects) but some seem intent of trying to get me into an argument about fits. Again, when I post in response to these 'digs' I get the side players jumping in and telling me to 'give it a rest', yet all I'm doing is defending myself and steering the conversation back to the topic. Oh well, this thread has been ruined now (which I believe was their intention all along) and anyone who may have leaned towards agreeing with renaming the board has seen how you get treated on here for going against the status quo and have decided not to comment. Luckily the thread on the feedback board is the important one and these guys haven't ruined that (though maybe they will now). Any decision to re-organise the boards will be taken based on feedback on that thread, not this one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure