Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Options

Comments

• smallblueplanet
    Options
    60% offer is on my main 'my sky' page. Seems like that might be the best offer available...decisions decisions...

Have you still got Sky or is this offer after it's gone off?
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was offered 50% for 10 months at the time of giving notice, then the same for 12 months by email, then a very short (2 days to reply) 60% , followed by an extension of 3 days. Next everything reverted to the 50% for 10 months; the offer is still on the tv, but I have left now.

A number of people, who wanted to accept the 60% off, were told that it had been offered in error and was not available.
  • downshifter98
    Options
    The 60% offer appeared after Sky ended on Saturday.
  • cd02
    cd02 Posts: 685 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The 60% offer appeared after Sky ended on Saturday.

Where do these offers appear?
  • downshifter98
    Options
    For me it's on the main page of 'my sky' on sky website
  • applicationcen
    Options
    So having been offered 50% (£28.50) for 12 months off for boxsets, cinema and go plus by a nice lady from Sky, the app says 35% off and the letter I got in the post is 50% off for 10 months.

The lady from Sky promised to call me back after work when my partner was at home to agree the package but didn't get a call. It all seems a bit random.
  • drummer_290
    Options
    I've reinstated my sky services now and managed to secure 30% off my sky Q contract for 10 months on top of the free landline for a year that they had already offered me. For the next 10 months I will be paying £58 per month for the top Sky Q 2TB box + boxsets but no movies or sport with one mini box, sky fibre pro unlimited broadband and landline rental from sky.

I had to fight tooth and nail for this and it was incredibly stressful. I wouldn't recommend trying to haggle with sky to anyone who isn't prepared to lose their service.!

I tried some of the suggestions from this forum and I want to share my experiences of them:

"Apply for offers from different departments separately, rather than as a whole sky package" - I only had an offer for free landline so I decided to speak to the broadband department first in the hope that after securing a deal with them I might be able to add my landline offer as on top since it had already been been promised by sky.!

I went on the online live chat and got passed around the different departments for an hour, explaining to 5 different people that I wanted to continue with my broadband service but for £10 less than I had been paying - a modest request, I thought. Eventually I was given a phone number. I called them and used the second trick recommended on this forum...

"The operator doesn't know what offers you've been sent" - I'm going to go with, "lol" now but I certainly didn't laugh when I asked for my, "£10 off the broadband" deal, and was responded to with, "let me just check which offers we've sent to you" then, "ah yes, it seems we sent you an offer for free landline. Would you like me to apply it for you?". Despite the shock, I stood strong and said, "yes please, if you could apply that as well, I would be most grateful". The man explained that the phone and broadband is classed as one item and only one offer is possible at any one time. I reluctantly accepted before moving on to the TV department...

I was already a month into a 12 month contract for sky q so I wasn't expecting anything here. I tried asking nicely, begging and even threatening them with legal action over the rubbish service quality of sky q, such as regularly crashing and needing to be unplugged, losing saved settings and recordings etc. I had no luck so I demanded to speak to the manager. They argued and said it wouldn't make a difference but ultimately I was put through and finally got an offer of 30% off my Sky Q TV for 10 months with a 12 month contract.!

Needless to say, I was not prepared to gamble and try the, "don't take their first offer" advice that has also been suggested.!

At least it worked out in the end but this really was a, "blood from a stone" affair and is definitely not for the faint-of-heart.

In hindsight, perhaps the deals of, "60% off" and "£100 credit" were given to people who were on older packages and were paying too much anyway.!They certainly seemed completely unachievable for the latest Sky Q package.

Thanks all, for the support!
  • downshifter98
    Options
    Used livechat today - pushed again for something more (yup I can be a bit greedy) but I was told that 60% off was only until tomorrow - they did offer the same 12 month deal on a rolling monthly contract so I bit - full £80 package for £32 with no contract is good enough for me.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

In hindsight, perhaps the deals of, "60% off" and "£100 credit" were given to people who were on older packages and were paying too much anyway.!They certainly seemed completely unachievable for the latest Sky Q package.

Last year the 50% or 60% with £50 or £100 credit offers were widely offered, though some of us needed to ask for the credit. I agreed to 50% with £50, as asking for 60% with£100 would have been silly, because it would mean that they were paying me to take Original with no extras(£8x12-£100= -£4).
  • ginnza
    ginnza Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 26 October 2016 at 10:12PM
    Options

I tried some of the suggestions from this forum and I want to share my experiences of them:

"Apply for offers from different departments separately, rather than as a whole sky package" - I only had an offer for free landline so I decided to speak to the broadband department first in the hope that after securing a deal with them I might be able to add my landline offer as on top since it had already been been promised by sky.!

I went on the online live chat and got passed around the different departments for an hour, explaining to 5 different people that I wanted to continue with my broadband service but for £10 less than I had been paying - a modest request, I thought. Eventually I was given a phone number. I called them and used the second trick recommended on this forum...

"The operator doesn't know what offers you've been sent" - I'm going to go with, "lol" now but I certainly didn't laugh when I asked for my, "£10 off the broadband" deal, and was responded to with, "let me just check which offers we've sent to you" then, "ah yes, it seems we sent you an offer for free landline. Would you like me to apply it for you?". Despite the shock, I stood strong and said, "yes please, if you could apply that as well, I would be most grateful". The man explained that the phone and broadband is classed as one item and only one offer is possible at any one time. I reluctantly accepted before moving on to the TV department...

I was already a month into a 12 month contract for sky q so I wasn't expecting anything here. I tried asking nicely, begging and even threatening them with legal action over the rubbish service quality of sky q, such as regularly crashing and needing to be unplugged, losing saved settings and recordings etc. I had no luck so I demanded to speak to the manager. They argued and said it wouldn't make a difference but ultimately I was put through and finally got an offer of 30% off my Sky Q TV for 10 months with a 12 month contract.!

Needless to say, I was not prepared to gamble and try the, "don't take their first offer" advice that has also been suggested.!

At least it worked out in the end but this really was a, "blood from a stone" affair and is definitely not for the faint-of-heart.

Honestly mate you done very well on different aspects whilst it is true they have no idea what offers have been sent
    It depends on the operator themselves what they offer on the day
    Personally I stick to live chat and the foreign staff at the weekend when getting deals they are abit more lax
    Anytime I have chanced my arm and tried this they have asked what offer has been sent then offered something else on par or greater after some negotiation

I have 2 offers on my fibre broadband
    £10 off line rental and half price fibre with I think bill credit of £60 but I had to do some skullduggery to get this in 2 different live chats
    Long story

Your offer on sky q is very good considering you were already on a contract for the next 11 months anyway so fair play

On the topic of at least 60% off and a bill credit on sky q coming from sky plus it is very achievable

The trick is to cancel then getting the deal you want then upgrade afterwards to sky q with the same offers applied

But for you to get a discount on a contract already in place is outstanding
    Well done :)
    I have had sky tv 4 years now
    1st year 50% off everything but movies
    2 year 75% full package
    3 year 60% with £100 bill credit full package
    4 year 75% with £100 bill credit full package
    You would be very fortunate to get better than 50% off without adding sports or movies or both
    What people need to understand is after the 1st year the equipment is in place and it's only a flick of a switch to turn you off and on a subscription service which is massively overpriced so you feel your getting a deal even at 50% off is probably closer the true value of the service
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback