PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How many times a week/month do you go food shopping?

Options
12346»

Comments

• uncreative
    Options
    This is a real puzzle for us. We have tried a big weekly shop, buying in bulk to get the best value. Fruit, bread, milk etc.. needs to be picked up 3 times a week. We have also tried doing 3 equal sized shops as we will be going anyway but couldnt really seem to get a balance.

Food planning means we plan on a saturday to try to get on a sunday the shop we need for the week in that respect and try and do a bigger monthly shop for the toiletries, cleaners, deoderants etc..

We aim to let our budget dictate our spend, and not the number of visits.
    Total Credit Used...=........£9,000 / £52,700
    Mortgage..............=........£138,000 , 20 Years left.
    :starmod:CC cashback for this year..=........£112.88 £205.81 banked in 2015
    :starmod:YNAB User & Mortgage Free Wannabe
    :starmod::A19/03/16
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,519 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Normally I buy at the beginning of the month, things like meat, cleaning bits, cat food etc, then top up once a week at Aldo's.

I,ve been on leave this past week, so tried popping in when I needed something - I,ve over spent by a minimum of £20 compared to a weekly shop, so I'll go back to weekly - I obviously don,t have the willpower to buy only what I need.....
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • HOWMUCH
    HOWMUCH Posts: 1,296 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 September 2015 at 8:40PM
    Options
    The most of the shopping is done monthly, then I do a weekly shop for fresh stuff milk,bread,fruit and veg. I go at approx 2pm on a Sunday to get the YS bargains today a got a load of Asdee bread again at 1p an item tiger bread,cheese bread,olive bread, artisan bread. I find its best to go as little as possible and always with a full tummy. Meal planning is a must so you know what you are having with what. Portion control and freeze and surplus. And I used my MrM's vouchers so this week the top up shopping cost £3.51
    Why pay full price when you may get it YS ;)
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I hadn't even thought until this thread- for me it is automatic that after a big shop I eat the things which won't last first and then the things which will. Vegetables especially, how you store them makes a huge difference to how long they last. For instance, if I have space in the fridge I put broccoli with the stem in water like cut flowers.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • lapis_lazuli
    Options
    We visit the market weekly for fruit and veg. Meat we get weekly from the supermarket, or twice weekly. Because my brother and I are flatting with 3 other people and have a small freezer to share, we don't have enough freezer space to do massive bulk buying/freezing of stuff :( We have our budget set at NZ $50 per week each for food, and generally it is about that. :)

One thing which we've had to be a bit thrifty about is yogurt powder. That comes from a bulk shop and after experimentation we've only been using the powder every three batches, when we need a fresh "real" starter. Even then, it's not 100% yogurt powder. :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    there is only me to feed and Sundays I go to dinner at DDs usually come home with some left over bits for Monday night
    Tuesday (tonight) I go to the local pub quiz so I get a meal there included in the quix price I only have to shop for four main dinners a week and my freezer is pretty well stuffed full at the moment .

I normally am fairly disiplined when it comes to shopping as I loathe and detest shopping as a rule, and am happy to stay away from supermarkets etc and go roughly every 8-10 days as I don't have a great deal to buy.I keep a note by the kettle in the kitchen and as I run out of something I write it down

I shopped today and spent 11.95 and have enough fresh stuff to last me well over a week I don't eat bread so thats not a problem and I but a six litre pack at a time of UHT milk as I don't use a lot of milk either I bake my own biscuits and cakes and cook from scratch so soups are made from past-their best veggies or lentils.

My food budget is £60.00 per month and I eat fairly well on that I have grandchildren that like to help forage for stuff especially blackberries which I adore.
    I suppose my one luxury is decent ground coffee I am happy to eat basic stuff,but my coffee has to be a good one :):):)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure