PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How many times a week/month do you go food shopping?

Options

Comments

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As and when needed

Might hit the chicken factory at the right time and thats most main meat meals taken care of for the month

Eggs are free - given to me till my own start laying

bread etc - make my own

fruit and veg - tbh I hate the stuff so dont be bothered with the five a day, However we do grow our own which I do eat when its available and I meal plan around whats ready

This weeks shopping has mean beers and wines and cut meat and mozzarella and a cauliflower and milk. Need the cauli for Sunday ( have carrots, peas parsnips and spuds in the garden) milk cos the grandkids are here and the rest is for a pizza party tomorror

next time Ill shop will be middle of the week when I need milk or some such
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.
    It's interesting to see how differently we all shop.

It's not that i have a problem with making the fruit and veg last, it's just that we eat a lot of it, so need to buy fresh quite often.
    I'd like to get it down to just 2 shops a week, as i really dont like food shopping.

As it is, i do 1 large monthly shop, then weekly shops every Friday, and then 1 or 2 top up shops for F&V. I feel like i spend my life shopping :(
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't have a fixed weekly/ monthly shop. I go to different shops for different items. Depending on the items I get either as I need or to restock/ replace. I take advantage of the delivery service available at Tesco for the heavy goods from there approx 2 out of 3 weeks.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,611 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    msgnomey wrote: »
    I try to only go to Ald* once a week but with a Co-op and a Sainsb**** practically on my door step it is far too easy to 'pop' in for 1 thing and come out with £20 worth!!!

I think that's the crux of the matter. If you have the discipline to just buy what you need then it doesn't matter how often you go to the shop(s).

I go just once a week. Aldi and then whatever else I need that week on the same trip. Generally Sainsbury's and sometimes Farmfoods and occasional others. That's my meal plan sorted for the week and although we eat a lot of fruit and veg too I find I can store for at least a week and it's all fine. That's all the time I choose to give over to food shopping. If I ever have to pick something up midweek I'm cross with myself as I feel I'm disorganised but everyone's circumstances are different.
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Aldi once a week.

We used to shop little and often at the local Sainsburys but we were spending £300 a month on food for two people (!!!)

By meal planning, using up leftovers rather than throwing food away and stopping "popping to the shop for milk" and spending £15 each time, we've reduced our monthly shopping bill from £300 to £140.
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • Bluebell68
    Bluebell68 Posts: 162 Forumite
    Options
    came up with solution well hubby did I like keep food stocked up incase cant get shops nearest one 6 miles away in winter sometimes can not get their we live on steep hill.

So he said right instead doing mad shop once a month we will do one shop fill both freezers we buy fresh meat when we can

once we are down to say 1 pack fresh loin chops/chicken mince stewing steak or braising whichever cheapest we get big joint pork cut into 2 or 3 etc he then goes and replaces
    same with tins flours veg so we no longer have big shop once a month working out great

loving it stops him moaning about spending loads n stops me stressing

win win
    Bluebell xx
    Secrets And Lies Destroy Lives
  • missyrichards
    missyrichards Posts: 1,148 Forumite
    Options
    I get a regular Ocado delivery every Saturday but I do pop out to the shops during the week as I usually run out of something.
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Just once a week at Sainsbury's, although I do a larger shop every few months at Asda online.
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • Petula
    Petula Posts: 194 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Normally ends up being a couple of times a week with one of the shops being a bit larger and the one being more of a top up.

I used to do a weekly shop online but found I over-bought wanting things to last for a whole week and nearly always had too much, and was more tempted to pop things I really didn't need into my online basket. I know some people find it easier to be more thrifty using the online shops, just the opposite for me :D
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    As it is, i do 1 large monthly shop, then weekly shops every Friday, and then 1 or 2 top up shops for F&V. I feel like i spend my life shopping :(

I bet it does. May I ask, without being nosy whats the difference between the large monthly shop and the weekly shop. Also when you go to the shops for fruit and veg twice a week do you just buy fruit and veg :D;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure