ebay collection agency threat.

Options
Hi, I'm new here, and I have an issue with eBay that I'd like some advice about if possible.
I sold an item back in April to a buyer in Australia, he paid me in full and the shipping was to be through eBay's global shipping programme.
So I sent the item to the UK global shipping centre for which I have proof of collection from myself and delivery to the global shipping centre.
Anyway that's the last I heard of the item for a few weeks, until my buyer started asking questions about where his item was...anyway through some contact I had with eBay at this stage I was told not to worry because once the item reaches the shipping centre its no longer my responsibility ..So I told my buyer to open a case and hopefully they will sort it out.
Well, they sorted it out by refunding my buyer...but now they want to take the money back from me!
The amount is £460, so as you can guess I'm not happy to pay this, so i cancelled my direct debit with them to stop this money being taken.
Now they keep sending emails asking for payment and saying if not paid it will be passed to a collection agency.
What powers do the collection agency have?
I've told eBay if they send me the item back I'll pay the money, but why should I pay the money and have no item!
Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Your easiest bet is to sort this out with eBay. Does the tracking to Pitney Bowes show as deliverd. Have you spoken to CS and let them have this or did you add it to the purchase and or case?
  • turboadam
    turboadam Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Trying to sort anything out with ebay is more or less impossible! It states it was received, i've emailed them a copy of the POD but not got anywhere really!
    It seems they are dragging their feet on purpose?
    It seems my only options are to pay up, but why should I? or wait and see what happens with the collection agency?
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Ok, so I actually asked....

...did you add [the tracking] to the purchase and or the case...
  • turboadam
    turboadam Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    I did add the tracking to the purchase.I think? and I've emailed them the details repeatedly!
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    You need to add the tracking to the order - and also to the case. Emailing it isn't relevant unfortunately.

You also need to speak with CS, as in telephone them and explain this was a GSP sale. If they see tracking to PB then your sale will be protected.
  • turboadam
    Options
    Is there a cheap phone number for them? The last call cost me £10.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    You need to use their help pages for a number as it gives you a unique PIN which alerts them to who you are. It is a freephone 0800 number.
  • Brooker_Dave
    Brooker_Dave Posts: 5,196 Forumite
    Options
    turboadam wrote: »
    or wait and see what happens with the collection agency?

They'll phone you a lot.

Tell them you don't want any more phone calls.

They'll write a lot.

They'll give up.

Keep the money, and find somewhere else to sell things, your ebay account is gone for good now anyway.
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    You were right to cancel your direct debit. eBay are totally useless when it comes to these things and as a seller, they don't give two !!!!s about you anyway.
  • Double_V
    Double_V Posts: 912 Forumite
    Options
    Please use the following link
    http://www.saynoto0870.com/search.php

Enter the 08-- number(s) and it will give you land-line number for that company.
    Every company has land line number, they just don't use it for public.
    Use the above site, very useful.

Good luck with the case. And keep us posted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure