We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including number plates, reference numbers and QR codes (which may reveal vehicle information when scanned).
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

UKPC Parking Notice with wrong reigstration - Advise please!!

2

Comments

  • Thanks for your quick response. I have remove "You must rely on POFA" and "IAS" bit.

    Any other recommendations?
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi All,



    Date: 25th September 2015


    Dear Sirs

    Re: PCN No. ....................

    I challenge this 'PCN' as keeper of the car, on these main grounds:

    a). The sum is disproportionate, does not represent a genuine pre-estimate of loss, nor is it a core price term. Move this to the last point and combine with (b)as they are both the same point, in effect.
    b) The sum is extravagant and unconscionable and cannot be justified.
    c). There is no evidence that you have any interest in the land. I will complain to the landowner about your aggressive ticketing.No - You demand that they produce a contract that gives them the right to charge you. See other appeals for better wording

    d). Your 'Notice' fails to comply with the POFA so there can be no keeper liability. How does it fail? Do you expect the adjudicator to do the work to check it out for you? Point out where if fails.

    e). I believe that the signs were not seen/are ambiguous and the predominant purpose is to deter so there is no contract to pay this charge, which is a penalty. Why "I believe?" Point out why they were deficient with any wording or photo evidence.

    Formal challenge
    There will be no admissions as to who was driving and no assumptions can be drawn. You must either rely on the POFA 2012 or cancel the charge. I will only appeal further if you offer POPLA, the only independent ADR with a scrutiny panel and trained Assessors. The 'IAS' offered by IPC firms will not be used, for well-documented reasons. IAS??? Why?


    ''Drop hands'' offer
    The charge is baseless but I realise that you may have nominal postage costs. Equally, I have incurred costs for responding to your junk mail dressed up to mimic a parking ticket. It is clear that my costs and yours, at this point, do not exceed £15 so this is a formal “drop hands” offer. I remind you of the duty to mitigate any loss, so withdraw the spurious charge within 35 days and I will not pursue you for my costs. Never seen this work at this stage and with such a weakly written appeal, no chance but makes you look like you have simply copied this parrot fashion without understanding

    Breach of CCRs
    I hereby give notice of withdrawal from this alleged 'contract' which was never properly offered nor expressly agreed. This 'contract' is cancelled and any obligations now end.

    I have kept proof of submission of this appeal and look forward to your reply.

    Yours faithfully,

    I am away for some days, and I won't be reading MSE . Some of the points I put above will apply even more in a 2nd stage appeal
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 16,626
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Moreover, they said the old PCN supercedes and the new one has been reissued

    Can you quote what they said? Does that mean they knew the old PCN was incorrect but issued it anyway, or that they've created a completely new claim?
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Clearly you have copied and pasted a very badly worded proforma letter which marks you down as not understanding the process.


    Take out those parts you do not understand. The "breach of CCRs" paragraph is s nonsense in my opinion.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Hi Herzlos,

    They said this PCN supercedes (Old PCN No) which has been reissued and provided new PCN no.
  • Sorry forgot to mention that

    The NTK received today together with new PCN no. has correct VRN now.

    It seems that they are correcting the mistake they made on Old PCN for incorrect VRN.
  • They cannot invoke POFA, so no keeper liability.

    If they are relying on Sec 8 (NTD followed by NTK) it fails as 8(2)(c) fails: state that a notice to driver relating to the specified period of parking has been given and repeat the information in that notice as required by paragraph. In any case, they have admitted that the original NTD is invalid

    If they are relying on Sec 9 (NTK only) if fails as it's too late - 9(5): The relevant period for the purposes of sub-paragraph (4) is the period of 14 days beginning with the day after that on which the specified period of parking ended
  • I have updated the appeal letter to UKPC. Can you please check if this is ok now?

    Date: 25th September 2015


    Dear Sir / Madam
    Subject: Formal Appeal to Notice to Keeper, under the POFA 2012
    Vehicle Registration Number (VRN No):
    Parking Charge Notice (PCN No):
    I am the registered keeper of the car mentioned in your Notice to Keeper (NTK) that was dated XX/XX/15. I challenge this 'PCN' as keeper of the car, on these main grounds:
    1. I have now obtained the 'PCN' ticket which was placed on the windscreen and I see that this does not have the correct car registration on it, so it is a nullity. As such, no Notice to Driver (NTD) was ever properly served as per POFA 2012.
    2. Your Notice to Keeper (NTK) wording is not compliant with Schedule 4 of the POFA 2012. Notice to Keeper (NTK) cannot be regarded as the new Parking Charge Notice (PCN) as you have superceded the Old Parking Charge Notice (PCN). This means UKPC accepted that the old Parking Charge Notice (PCN) is invalid.
    3. UKPC is a mere agent who does not own the land, so you have no standing to make any contracts with drivers or to pursue these charges in your name. If you allege you do, then you will need to show your landowner/client contract to POPLA and myself at the second stage appeal.
    4. As a Registered Keeper, I believe that the signs were not seen/are ambiguous and the predominant purpose is to deter so there is no contract to pay this charge, which is a penalty.
    5. The Parking Charge Amount is disproportionate and does not represent a genuine pre-estimate of loss, nor is it a core price item.
    I invite you to cancel this charge since you can see that you have no cause to pursue it now that I have pointed out the flaws. As there exists only a flawed Notice to Keeper and a nullity of a Notice to Driver, I am not liable in law. But under the BPA CoP, clause 22.14, you must consider appeals from registered keepers because they are entitled to appeal to POPLA.

    So if after careful consideration you decide to reject this appeal, you must send me a POPLA code, as was reminded to the BPA in the recent POPLA Newsletter (Nov 2013). Or you can confirm that the charge is cancelled.

    I have kept proof of submission of this appeal and look forward to your reply.

    Yours faithfully,
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Is it ok to use the above for appeal or does it require any further changes?

    Thanks all for your help
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.