We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including number plates, reference numbers and QR codes (which may reveal vehicle information when scanned).
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

UKPC Parking Notice with wrong reigstration - Advise please!!

Hi,

I have been issued a parking notice yesterday when I parked my car on visitors parking space at my friend's place. It's a block of flats and they have hired UKPC to manage illegal parking. My friend has extra visitor parking badge which was misplaced and I therefore not able to display that in my car as it was in emergency. I have visited my friend's place quite often and always displayed the visitor parking badge all the time. There were no other visitor cars parked in other bays. UKPC Parking notice as usual displayed wrong vehicle registration number. They have missed one digit of vehicle registration number.

The Parking Notice states that if I pay in 14 days then I need to pay £60 or £100 upto 28 days. I can appeal withing 28 days from the notice given.

I would like to find out if I have a case to appeal or Should I pay?

Kind regards

Ameyapranav
«13

Comments

  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    read the newbies sticky thread

    then wait for any NTK in the post, then appeal that NTK, not the windscreen notice
  • Thanks Redx

    When I appeal NTK, should I include the emergency details or which grounds do I need to use to make a strong appeal?

    Do you think I have a change to win?

    Kind regards

    Ameyapranav
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    you will use the template letter for the appeal after the NTK arrives, nothing else is required

    then you will draft a popla appeal based on similar threads to yours, from the last few months only (2015 threads less than 6 months old)

    with a proper popla appeal, you certainly stand a good chance in winning, but there are no guarantees
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 7,111 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Recording the wrong registration number is one of their scams to get you to appeal straight away on that point and out yourself as the driver, don't fall for it. They make up their own rules as they go along just to extract money out of you.
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Thanks Redx

    When I appeal NTK, should I include the emergency details or which grounds do I need to use to make a strong appeal?

    Do you think I have a change to win?

    Kind regards

    Ameyapranav

    If they have genuinely made a note of the wrong number then there is a good chance you will never receive a NTK.
  • Thanks all for your replies.

    I have gone through the newbies sticky to get more information. I am slightly confused. Do I need to wait for NTK before I appeal of Can I appeal on or after 20 day from windscreen notice as per the sticky?

    Kind regards

    AmeyaPranav
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    You are overthinking this, UKPC Have to prove the sum they want is a genuine pre-estimate of their losses. As they have suffered no losses, they have a mountain to climb. You are in the driving seat, not these ex-clampers.


    Wait for the NTK and then appeal it a few days before the time limit.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Thanks all for your replies.

    I have gone through the newbies sticky to get more information. I am slightly confused. Do I need to wait for NTK before I appeal of Can I appeal on or after 20 day from windscreen notice as per the sticky?

    Kind regards

    AmeyaPranav

    you wait for them to issue the NTK between day 29 and day 56 (or later)

    you were told this in earlier replies, including mine

    the more mistakes or omissions they make , the better

    in fact, it may never happen because they got the VRN wrong !

    dont hand it to them on a plate, wait , and wait again, see what comes in the post, if anything, if at all

    if the NTK comes in the post, then appeal it with the template letter
  • Hi All,

    I have received a NTK today in post but that is dated 16/09/2015. Moreover, they said the old PCN supercedes and the new one has been reissued. I have gone through the newbies sticky and prepared the below appeal letter. Can you please check if that's ok or something needs to be added?

    Date: 25th September 2015


    Dear Sirs

    Re: PCN No. ....................

    I challenge this 'PCN' as keeper of the car, on these main grounds:

    a). The sum is disproportionate, does not represent a genuine pre-estimate of loss, nor is it a core price term.
    b) The sum is extravagant and unconscionable and cannot be justified.
    c). There is no evidence that you have any interest in the land. I will complain to the landowner about your aggressive ticketing.
    d). Your 'Notice' fails to comply with the POFA so there can be no keeper liability.
    e). I believe that the signs were not seen/are ambiguous and the predominant purpose is to deter so there is no contract to pay this charge, which is a penalty.

    Formal challenge
    There will be no admissions as to who was driving and no assumptions can be drawn. You must either rely on the POFA 2012 or cancel the charge. I will only appeal further if you offer POPLA, the only independent ADR with a scrutiny panel and trained Assessors. The 'IAS' offered by IPC firms will not be used, for well-documented reasons.

    ''Drop hands'' offer
    The charge is baseless but I realise that you may have nominal postage costs. Equally, I have incurred costs for responding to your junk mail dressed up to mimic a parking ticket. It is clear that my costs and yours, at this point, do not exceed £15 so this is a formal “drop hands” offer. I remind you of the duty to mitigate any loss, so withdraw the spurious charge within 35 days and I will not pursue you for my costs.

    Breach of CCRs
    I hereby give notice of withdrawal from this alleged 'contract' which was never properly offered nor expressly agreed. This 'contract' is cancelled and any obligations now end.

    I have kept proof of submission of this appeal and look forward to your reply.

    Yours faithfully,
  • In the Formal Challenge section:

    You cannot say "you must rely on POFA" as you have already claimed that they can't use it, the NTK being non-conformant (one reason being that it does not match the details in the incorrect NTD).

    Don't refer to IAS. UKPC are (for the moment) BPA, so mention of IPC is irrelevant, and indicates (to us and UKPC) that this is a copy'n'paste without having too much thought given to it.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.