We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Cancelled flights

13

Comments

  • tufstn wrote: »
    Hi markameggy,

    We were also on that flight, and can't believe the total disregard of the regulations by all concerned. A normal airline would have transported everyone to the diverted flight in Limoges, but that would disrupt their schedule even more wouldn't it? So rather leave 100+ people stranded in Tours without any help and hope they don't know the regulations.

    We were rebooked from Nantes the next day, so have sent Ryanair a letter claiming expenses plus the 250 each compensation. It seems they never pay the compensation for whatever reason, so will see what happens.

    I'd be interested to hear the outcome of your claim.

    Apologies if my post from yesterday appears as well, it's lost in the system somewhere....

    tufstn

    Hey,
    did you get any reply yet?
    They still didnt answer me even though they claim they answer every letter within 7 days.....
  • lijaloo
    lijaloo Posts: 265 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Don't give up. My flight last May was cancelled. No-one from Ryanair was available at the airport to help. I sent initial letter to Dublin recorded delivery, no response. After a follow up letter, I received and email saying my first letter had not been received. I sent a fax back to them including a copy of the original letter, postage receipt and proof that it had been delivered. Response was a stock email explaining Ryanair's position. Faxes and emails have continued to be sent. I even sent a letter asking for details of the cancellation, why it was exceptional circumstances etc. following advice I had found on the internet. Eventually Ryanair said they would consider paying receipted expenses. Great, we had none, having spent the night in our car at Reus airport. I have sent a copy of my complaint and claim for compensation under EU regulations to the AUC who say I have a case, and they have forwarded it their equivalent in Spain. I am also claiming for loss of earnings under the Montreal Convention, In the meantime I have lodged a claim with the small claims court in Ireland, which has been accepted by the courts. The cost is only a couple of euros and can be done online. Just waiting now for Ryanair's response.
  • please let us know how it goes,will do the same....
  • lijaloo
    lijaloo Posts: 265 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Received letter today from Irish Courts Service together with Ryanair's response which is factually incorrect, they claim to have informed me of certain facts which is totally incorrect. Their response goes on to say they would be "happy" to defend the case. The court has asked me to confirm my intention to appear in court if the case is listed for hearing. I intend to attend so will write back and confirm. Mind you I'll have to travel Ryanair so maybe I'll say it all depends on whether or not they decide to cancel to flight at the last minute!!
  • Please keep us updated.
    This thread looks interesting
    If I have Offended you. Thats Great :j
    If I have Offended your Religion, Race, Sex, Country, Hair Cut and your taste in Biscuits.:mad:
    Now Thats Bargain:T
  • This thread is telling me i'm never flying with Ryanair, seems a lot of people are experiencing their return flights being cancelled!

    Good luck making your claims and I hope you all get full recompense.
    OU Student! - ED209, SDK125, DSE212, SK124, DSE141, SD226, DXR222, DD303, DD307 = BSc Psychology
  • Still no reply, even though i sent it with registered post (4 pounds!)....any good idea what to do?
  • Update on claim through Irish small claims court -

    Small claims court will not award compensation for cancelled flights.

    I will need to pursue Ryanair through the courts and engage a legal advisor. Ryanair are untouchable. Will just have to wait and see what the AUC and Spanish authorities say about it. I have now sent them copies of all correspoondence between myself and Ryanair along with their response to the small claims court.

    I'd be interested to hear if anyone has ever received compensation from Ryanair because of a cancelled flght and whether anyone has been "looked after" in accordance with EU regulations following a cancellation.
  • Maybe you should turn to the EU court...im sure they wouldnt let them off the hook! EU court doesnt really like Ryanair,it opposed them when they wanted to buy Aer Lingus and on several other cases (as i read in the archive news on Ryanair webpage). The irish will always support Ryanair as it is irish and pays in a lot of tax etc. All their employees are working under Irish regulations (thats why cabin crew can fly 2000 hours per year while at easyjet they can do max. 900 hours).

    I do hope you will succeed, i will also try my best to get something back from them and let you all know how it goes!
  • Dear Sir,

    Following your recent correspondence to us regarding booking
    confirmation number XXXXXX.

    On behalf of Ryanair, we sincerely apologise for the disruption to your
    recent flight with us. Ryanair is committed to providing on time
    services for all passengers and continues to be the No. 1 on-time airline
    with the lowest level of flight cancellations in Europe, as detailed in
    audited statistics issued by the UK Civil Aviation Authority.

    However, notwithstanding the above, there are situations which are
    outside of the control of Ryanair (extraordinary circumstances) such as
    adverse weather conditions, unexpected flight safety problems, strikes and
    security risks that affect our flight operation. We sincerely
    apologise that your flight was one of the very occasional flights disrupted,
    as over 99% of our flights were operated sucessfully in the past year.

    As this flight disruption was outside our control, we regret that no
    monetary compensation is due under Article 7 of EU261/2004. Should you
    have not received a refreshment voucher for €5 per person or have
    incurred any additional expenses in relation to this flight disruption,
    contact your travel insurer to initiate a claim. Please note that UK and
    Irish residents who purchased Ryanair's (Primary) travel insurance
    receive cover £150/€220 per person to cover for Travel Disruption costs
    - see Section H of your travel insurance policy for details.

    Yours sincerely


    RYANAIR PASSENGER COMPENSATION DEPARTMENT


    Im not sure what i will do yet(any good ideas let me know), probably i will write to them to ask what were the circumstances they are quoting!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.